Notices

I feel awful

Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel awful

Shaky, chills, heart pounding. Day 3--I guess it could be worse. I have to go to my daughter's softball game tonight and I know people will notice.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

Hey anon,

I was on day 5 yesterday from a major alcohol binge (along with opiates) I had to attend a religious function last night with over 200+ people, no one I knew. Try to be patient with yourself, and avoid feeding into the paranoid thoughts that can creep into us at these vulnerable times. If you want to check in with me later please PM me, plus I might be on the chat part of this site later!

Please stay safe!

Rachel
Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there! It gets better! Perhaps you should visit the doc today and see if he/she can prescribe yo something to calm the shakes down a bit? I am sure your daughter will be very proud of you for not drinking and will be able to forgive the shake, rattle and roll in time
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with getting some help from the doc for the symptoms. While they will pass with time, they can make it SO easy to justify "just one drink" to calm them...yeah, just one! I wouldn't be on here if I could have just one!

I'm only on day 9 from my last relapse and already it's so much better.

So go to the softball game with a BIG cup of coffee and just blame the shakes on the caffeine! haha

Seriously, you are probably feeling self conscious. People will be watching the game, not you. Try not to worry about that. The important thing is that you are taking these steps to make your life better for you AND your daughter. And that is so much more important that what a couple of people might think about you being a little shaky. Stick with it, I know you will be glad you did!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

day 3 was allways the worst for me ( on day 29 now)
l never understood that.
After the 3rd day it gets better.
Wish you strength.

The greatest mistake is trying to be more agreeable than you can be.

- Walter Bagehot
Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

l forgot to say 'What do you care if people notice ?"
Who knows what they do behind closed curtains.
He who is without sin...etc.
Just ride out the storm.
At least you are doing something about it.
And if someone really thinks bad about you, they can come up to you and ask you what is wrong.
But l am sure no one will.
Good luck tonight !!

It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place. ~Lewis Carroll
Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi anonchick - Yup, that'd be Day 3 alright - perfectly normal and it will pass. Once it's over, that's the end of it - you never have to go there again. Try to remember how you feel right now, and it'll help with future temptations. I know memories of my last binge still horrify me. You're on the road to your new life - it's so worth it.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep thats exactly how I felt on day 3, not pleaseant I know but it gets much better just hang in there, you are doing great.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

The first few days are definitely the worst part physically.
Stay hydrated and focus and you will feel a lot better in a day or two.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks so much. I'm learning that avoiding caffeine helps some. I also took a Benadryl and that helped. I have no health insurance and no money for a doc so i'm riding it out. I'm at work right now. My fiance was with me last night and my son and daughter did their own thing and really didn't notice or if they did didnt' say. My son is 14 and observant, but respectful. My 12 year old daughter is the outspoken one and didn't say anything till this morning when I handed her her breakfast and my hand was shaking badly. She said, "Mommy, are you ok? That's from not drinking?"
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it does get better. I like the part where we don't have to go through this again, unless we choose to. Coming here helps us make the right choice for today.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there it will get better, make sure you eat well and drink lots of water. Good for you on day 3!

Judy
Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Chamomile tea can help calm the awful anxiety. (sold as Sleepytime or Sweet Dreams) B vitamins help too. Hang in there! It does get better. The first few days are the worst but after the physical withdrawals is over you'll start feeling better.:ghug3
Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You will get through it, just hang in there and be good to yourself but dont pick up no matter what! :ghug3
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I understand what you mean.I have been addicted to morphine and when i would run out i would have terrible withdrawals.Far worse than from alcohol.I would just say i was
sick or just didn't feel good.Sports drinks can cause the shakes.You can always say you
drank one.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I actually took half a melatonin at lunch and feel wonderful right now.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Go girl, I just know you can do it.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Anon,

Hang in there, you are almost over the worst of it.

Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
Sports drinks can cause the shakes. You can always say you drank one.
Sports Drinks? As in Gatorade or Powerade? I have a hard time with that one. In fact many alkies say Gatorade is great, it not only rehydrates it give you needed minerals that a long binge purges from our system such as potassium. Please elaborate on your experience with this.

From your prior posts, even though you may not be drinking, you are taking so much other stuff - lunestra, etc. - that I am not sure this is not responsible for the prolonged withdrawals you have described.

Sorry to hijack your post Anongirl.