Just wanted to say thanks!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say thanks!

I have been on this site reading for days. I have made it to a couple of meetings and I just wanted to thank everyone for their posts.

Winnie's post really got to me about co-dependence. Tonite my husband came in from work and I told him that I just wanted to be me again. I wanted to take a vacation. Him and I have not been on a vacation by ourselves for..........................well NEVER. He said are you serious? Your ready to let go and take off? YES I AM. Always before I have been to scared to leave for fear of something happening. And you know what, it happened whether I was here or not.

So, we called his sister that lives in Georgia. AND WE ACTUALLY SET UP SOMETHING FOR JUNE. We are going to go to the Smokies for a few days and head on down to her house and have some fun. Now I know that it is kinda down the road a little, but I am so excited I had to tell someone.

I don't think I could have done this without some meetings and you all here on this forum.

For that I just want to say

Gotahavfaith
Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is AWESOME!! And just in case you need a little f2f support and are near Atlanta on vacation, Winnie and I live in that area You'll have a great time, and now you have something to look forward to!

I'm always glad to see people realize that it's a good thing to take care of ourselves, and yes, even pamper ourselves!! I know my SR friends have been such a huge part of why I'm pretty darned content with my life, today.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

gotahavfaith, Good for you. I remember that feeling so well. I had finally figured out that my AD was going to do whatever, whether we were home or not. The day I figured that out, I called my SIL who I knew was going on a trip to Mexico. We had never been, I asked her if we could go too, booked the trip, and THEN told my husband. It was the BEST trip ever.

You are going to have loads of fun.

Hugs,
Chris

I even made sure my cell pho was turned off & left in the safe in the room.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I remember the day I had my first vacation "away" from the worries of my addicted family member. The best part, the day I spent inside the theme park WITHOUT my cell phone.

Small things add up. I still have wonderful memories of that trip.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How wonderful - you make me so glad that i shared that. Seriously stop in and see Amy and I while your driving through! i love putting faces with the names.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't post much here these days. But, you know, I just have to say that one of the best comments I had made to me here (amongst countless others) was that it was OK..EVEN GOOD to take time out for me and my husband during the hell that is living with an addict. That was two years ago, and even though my hell hasn't ended, I can say that time was one I NEEDED to keep MY sanity, and hearing that it was not only ok, but a great idea, was something that I will appreciate forever.

Have a WONDERFUL time and take that time to concentrate on you...after all...our time here is not infinate, we owe it to ourselves and the One who we worship to enjoy what we can while we are here.

Good For You..!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!!:ghug3

That would just be too cool to meet you guys in person. I hear you have a great acquarium down there! I think they are about an hour away. Thanks for all your support, I am just really excited.

Gotahavfaith
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Faith,
If you and the hubby need some company on your ride down, pop over and pick me up. (I'm in Ohio too.)
I know some good jokes and would love to meet the family...
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have a great time. Last night at my meeting one of the things that we shared about was taking care of ourselves. It really is so important. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-08-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The aquarium is wonderful - one of my DD and mine's favorite places. she wants to be a marine biologist when she grows up (and she's smart enough to do it) so we like to go there - especially to see the beluga whales - they're her favorites. They are just amazing animals so graceful and so peaceful. i highly recommend a visit there.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Son in recovery

Hey Winnie, I just wanted to reply to your post yesterday. Thanks for the support. Knowing that there is another family dealing with an addicted son or daughter with type 1 diabetes was a relief. While he is in rehab I have been dealing with getting him his pump supplies and insulin. It never seems to stop. But your right he needs to learn to take care of himself. The suggestion for him to go to a sober house was a good one. I'm suggesting it to his case manager. Unfortunely I got a message that they want to release him two weeks early because insurance doesn't want to pay for this placement anymore. Hopefully, they can work that one out. He is definitely not ready to leave yet, by his own admission.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Moose
Would love to have you guys ride along. I love jokes I just can never remember them LOL.