son of lucybooz

Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

son of lucybooz

my mother has been writing about my difficulties with my alcoholism and i figured to give a first hand account. once again i put some time together, like in the past only to slip up again. For 10 months i stayed sober and was actually happy this time only to let it slip away, i try to figure out what went wrong in all my battles, and a friend of mine told me, thats what we do ie alcoholics and addicts, mine you he has 18 yrs clean. the hardest thing for me to do is to forget the past and all my mistakes, so once again like in the past i get back up and fight another day, my minister told me this would be the hardest thing i ever had to do, hes right, i could do anything i put my mind to for the exception of this damn alcohol, i went to an na meeting last night, got some numbers, today @ noon will go to aa meeting, i know from the past it will get better, but as my past has served me when i start doing well is when i explode. any insight or wisdom, or have been down this road i am open for suggestion, ty jim.b
Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you! keep reaching out! hugs, k
Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ty it will get better!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jim, as a fellow recovering alcoholic, I can tell you that through the 12 steps of AA, a really good sponsor, and doing the things I was told to do, I was able to find forgiveness of self for my past and to let it go. Till I was able to do that, it was an exercise in futility to stay sober. There is hope, my friend! :ghug :ghug
Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ty
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

jim, we have lots of recovering people here on the boards.

Have you checked out the section for alcoholics supporting each other? Maybe you would like to register for your own user name here, and start your own threads ---- that might be a good source of help for you as well as AA and getting a sponsor. You can find the main list here:

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

It helped me a lot to know I had a community behind me. It was easy to stay sick when I thought I was alone in this.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ty for ur support!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

First, Jim, thank you for posting over hear in Friends and Family. I know how it helps the folks to understand a bit more of what we go through.

Yes, I am an alcoholic, and a codie. I am coming up on 28 years sober and clean in June, and 25 years in AlAnon and do feel like a 'double winner."

I will suggest that you also post the 'gist' of your message in the AA forum.

You will be amazed at the support you will get.

I agree, this is the HARDEST thing you will ever do in your life. This time, please get a SPONSOR to guide you through the steps. Work each step to the best of your abililty and then work it some more.

I know from my own experience, that working those steps to the absolute MAX and then LIVING the steps One Day At A Time is excellent ammunition against those ('stinkin thinkin') thoughts that start to enter our heads at anywhere from 6 months to 15 months.

Sobriety requires a commitment (and we know we alkies aren't too good at that at first, lol). Find a meeting to be your "Home Group". Get active in that group. Help set up before the meeting and cleaning up after the meeting, every week. Find a few more that you like and make the commitment to attend every week.

No the fellowship of the meetings is not the program of recovery, HOWEVER, the meetings are of great benefit in finding out how to LIVE SOBER.

I hope to see you posting more, both here and in the alcoholism threads.

Thank you for your post.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank u im just getting use to this site and my mom is helping me, ty again jim b.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Jim,

I'd like to suggest that you get your own I.D. here on the SR site. That way you and your mom will each be able to post and get responses to your particular issues.

Cats
Forum Mod
Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

how do i get my own sign-on? thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Go to the upper right hand corner of the screen where it says "log out" and do that. Then, return to the recovery site and there will be an option on the forums page that says "register". You'll need to enter your birthday (that identifies you as a unique user) and then go from there.

Good luck~
Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome jim-
The past is gone. You are free in this moment!
peace,
b