Notices

New Here

Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Today has to be the day that I stop drinking. I am a 42 yo SAHM - I have a beautiful 5 year old that is my world. I woke up yesterday morning feeling funky - as the morning progressed, I got more nervous, achy and felt like I was in a fog all day. It hit me yesterday afternoon that after I drank a beer, it all went away. I am developing a problem and it has to stop. I have drank anywhere from 3-6 beers everyday for the past 5 years, maybe longer. Some days like weekends, it has been as many as 10.

I hope I can do this for the sake of my child.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

hi Kelly,and welcome
one thing that was a big help to me at first was the concept of taking life one day at a time.
I felt I could stay sober today,but not for 30 years or the rest of my life.
It put quitting in a easier perspective

keep coming back here with us

Tommy
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly, welcome to SR, you are going to love it here. I can relate to your story because I was a beeraholic to, weekdays I would have 4-8 everynite and I pretty much drank everyweekend until I could not drink anymore. I decided I need to quit when I almost lost my job and my relationships were going downhill. Today is my 7th day sober and I feel great, it sounds cliche but "One day at a time" is the best advice I have ever gotten, sometimes even 1 hour at a time
Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am glad you are here. You are not alone. Keep posting.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi Kelly, You don't have to like like this. Change is possible. I have changed and it is a great freedom. Wel:ghug3 come here
Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't know what an SAHM is? But I think it sounds like you are ready to stop drinking which is all that matters. Welcome to SR! Keep posting and reading, it has helped me a lot. Lynx

Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad you are here. If you havent develpoed a problem yet. Best to get this under control before it does become a huge problem.
There is so much info and support here.
You can do it. Keep posting.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lynxster View Post
Don't know what an SAHM is?
Sorry, it means stay at home mom

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I've been lurking for a few days and this seems like a great place.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kelly,

Welcome!

I hope you find support and information here!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to our site - my kids were young when I got sober, and it's the biggest gift we can give them. They deserve a sober and fulfilled Mom. Keep posting and reading.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Kelly!:ghug3 We're to support you in your sober journey. Glad you joined us!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Kelly and welcome on board ,
I'm 44 and a father of 3 sons , 18 , 15 and ... 3 days old !
The best thing I can do both for me and for them is to stay sober today , here and now !
I put all my efforts in it . I do and I make my soberity today .
Then you can smile to your kids .
SR , AA and NA ... and working hard can change my life . I know I'm not alone and you can be with me .
Talk , write and post to people here . There's full of support .
Keep posting , your friend , witt
Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome.. and what I'll say is going to sound kinda cheesy, but seriously.. if my parents had given me the gift of their sobriety when I was as young as you're lil one is.. oh that would have been glorious. Neither one of them drank anything more than wine or beer, but... well.. I didn't have parents until they were sober, which was when I was around 19.

ANYways.. (sorry it kinda touches me when kids are involved).. I'm glad you're here, this is a great place. There's a women in recovery forum too, they seem to talk about parenting and kids sometimes too.

Stay strong
Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. I grew up with an alcoholic dad who dissapeared from our lives at the age of 6. While my mom did not drink heavily, she was a partier and drank quite a bit. So I know all too well what its like growing up in an alcoholic home and my child deserves more. Honestly, I didnt really see it until she asked me last week not to drink a beer that day.. thats when I got to thinking. Its going to be tough, as my husband is a drinker as well. But I keep telling myself that if I can quit smoking after 18 years, I can quit drinking too.

Thanks for all the support.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Welcome to SR. Keep coming back and posting. We need you as much as you need us.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ridgeback Lover

Talking

[QUOTE=Kelly19;2183171]Today has to be the day that I stop drinking. I am a 42 yo SAHM - I have a beautiful 5 year old that is my world. I woke up yesterday morning feeling funky - as the morning progressed, I got more nervous, achy and felt like I was in a fog all day. It hit me yesterday afternoon that after I drank a beer, it all went away.
QUOTE]

Kelly, Thats the exact same thing that happened to me. I had felt that way for 2 years and I had had enough. When I tried a day one, felt like crap, drank beer and couple of shots It all went away. The next day i checked into detox.

remember: just don't drink TODAY, don't worry about tommorrow until it is TODAY.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kelly19 View Post
Today has to be the day that I stop drinking. I am a 42 yo SAHM - I have a beautiful 5 year old that is my world. I woke up yesterday morning feeling funky - as the morning progressed, I got more nervous, achy and felt like I was in a fog all day. It hit me yesterday afternoon that after I drank a beer, it all went away. I am developing a problem and it has to stop. I have drank anywhere from 3-6 beers everyday for the past 5 years, maybe longer. Some days like weekends, it has been as many as 10

I hope I can do this for the sake of my child.
I'm new here too, I've been sober ever since January and it couldn't have been a better choice. For me, alcohal affected my life much more dramatically. I would binge and do just crazy sh*t, then get the shakes, drink in the morning, do it every day for like a week or 2. I couldn't get any work done either. Since then I've started my own business and am looking forward to being successful. Thank you to everybody here for supporting each other and please continue to do so.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations Kelly on recognizing a problem. You were given the gift of your child now give her the gift of a sober mom. I started my downward spiral when my daughter was 12 and didn't get sober until she was 26 and I cry when I think of all I missed, don't miss out like I did.

Judy
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

way to go kelly and keep up the good work.

be with your five year old and look in her(his) eyes. she, he, has only love for you.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!

Welcome to SR... your in a great place now for support

be well
louis