Went to a funeral and saw God at work

Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to a funeral and saw God at work

The day before returning from our vacation, we were informed our secretary's 16 year old son was murdered.

We cried during the service and my heart broke for her. I couldn't help but think about my RAD and that I still have her, when by all human reasoning she should probably be dead. My tears stopped, though, when I saw that our secretary was calm and at peace. She was so serene she was glowing.

Towards the end of the service, her minister said he wants people to see God when they look at him, not a minister. When I looked at our secretary, I understood because I saw God, too. I saw love and acceptance, hope and faith at work.

This isn't the first family I've known to unexpectedly lose a child. This isn't the first reminder I've had how fragile life is. This is the first time, though, that I've seen faith in action during a horrible time. It was a beautiful awe inspiring sight, and a reminder that my children are God's gifts to me. May I cherish them always and continue doing the next right thing.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chino, the night before my daughter's funeral (when there was an incredible storm, wind gusts in our town of 5,000 were talked about on the national news and the power in the whole town went out just as the last person left the viewing services..) I decided I really needed to speak at her funeral...I just wanted all the people who came to really, really know her.

I don't do those types of things...I just don't. But I did; it seemed natural at the time. A person who almost never has a nice thing to say told me later that he was filled with awe because I seemed surrounded by aura...just filled with grace.

I know I did not speak...I know it was my God surrounding me, holding me through this and doing what I couldn't do for myself without him.

So I definitely relate to what you said and I am so glad that God helped her as he has helped me. All we need to do is ask. Thanks for sharing this here.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thank you both for sharing such a personal and deep experience.

The next time I attend a service such as this, I will think of what you said and hope that I too can see God's love in all His work.

I know that I don't always know "why" some things happen as they do, but I am grateful to know that whatever happens, God is close at hand.

Hugs to both of you and all who have gone through such grief.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also witnessed something like this a little over a year ago. It was inspiring to say the least.

I love to see God at work in situations where it would normally be very difficult to cry "why God? Why?".

Faith is a powerful force. Thank you for posting this!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

thanks for sharing that story.
I too have been the lucky recipient of seeing Gods work in others.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I saw so many of the 12 steps in that one moment and it's what motivated me to post about it. Her belief in a HP was deep and real and, combined with all the love in that church, it collectively lifted her up. Like greet said, all we need to do is ask.

My prayer today is that we all remember to ask.