Notices

Silly Question

Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Silly Question

The situation is. I quit smoking 5 years ago and started smoking 2 years ago. Which made my drinking really esculate. If I'm smoking I want to drink. If I'm not smoking I don't think of drinking. Seems so opposite to everything I've ever learned. Has anyone had any experience with this situation and found that they had to quit smoking to quit drinking. This may sound strange to you all cuz it does me. I'm on my third day of no smoking and no craving for alcohol.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smoking and drinking have always gone together for me as well. I've quit drinking but still smoke but I've always wondered if when I quit smoking I wont want to drink. I dont know.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have never heard someone wanting to drink from smoking. Its usually the other way around. I know alot of people that never smoke unless they drink.
if thats what it takes to stop drinking. I would stop smoking ASAP.

I am on day 4 smoke free and a little over a month clean from drugs.

I am doin alright as far as the cigarettes go. So far so good.
Good luck.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was always the opposite as well, I had to quit drinking when I quit smoking. When I quit drinking though I started smoking again and when I quit smoking after a year of sobriety I started to want to drink and that's not an option so I started smoking again.

Judy
Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I quit smoking about 11 years ago. So, it's hard to remember. I've only been sober for a little over a year. But smoking and drinking went hand in hand for me, I know.

I quit smoking by accident, if you can believe it. I was in the middle of a divorce. And although I had been trying to quit for years, I gave myself permission to finally just smoke as I wanted. I had so much stress from the divorce I didn't think it was necessary to add the stress of guilt from smoking. However, my p-doc had me on Wellbutrin for depression. (Which incidentally, sent me into a major mania.) I didn't realize the Wellbutrin had a side-effect of helping people quit smoking. I would light up and the cigarette would just hold no appeal. It tasted terrible and smelled awful. I would put it out and light another. Finally, I stopped lighting them.

It was weeks before I realized I'd actually quit and it was the Wellbutrin. I have never, not once, felt the slightest craving for a cigarette ever again.

Not meaning to highjack the thread - Sorry!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there is a lot of info about the link between drinking and smoking here:

The Sober Alcoholic's Stop Smoking Support Page

for me I had to quit drinking to quit smoking