Notices

Hello

Old 04-05-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Just thought I'd "introduce" myself. I'm not "new" to recovery, but I am trying to get my head straight after yet another relapse. I've been fighting the fight for about a year and a half now. I keep hoping it gets better, but each day continues to be a struggle....one I'm afraid I can't win. Sometimes it just seems imposible.

So, I finally decided to give the internet a try. Hopefully, it can be a lifeline when I need one. Hopefully, come tomorrow evening, I will find myself at a 12 step meeting. It would be the first in months. Hard to go back I guess, but I know I have to if I have ANY chance at getting my life back.

Anyway, hi to all.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. The word that jumped out at me on your post is "fight". If you are serious about AA, there is no fight. We surrender on the first step. The big book says "We ceased fighting anyone and anything, including alcohol".

So if you are in the frame of mind that you are in a "fight" or that you are gong to "beat" your drinking problem, let me respectfully suggest that you have not taken step one yet.

Good luck at the meeting and please keep posting.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi MisStinger,

Welcome!

First off, this is a battle you can win, just wanted to let you know that. It is a struggle, but it gets easier with help from others, so you've found a great place to help you during the wee hours of the morning, or when no meetings are immediately available. It's good that you're going to a meeting tomorrow, that may be the first step for you to get on track and begin to learn how to live without alcohol. It is a process, one that we have to work on daily till we become grounded in recovery, then we need to maintain that foundation. All of us have ups and downs which are much easier to bear with support from our friends. You can make dear friends here, people who will support you when the thoughts of having a drink become unbearable. This is a lifeline, so grab hold of the life-preserver and hang on.

You can do this.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR I was going to say the same thing as dgillz did about fighting against addiction. Since we will have this illness our whole lives it makes since that we find an alternative to fighting it, which just ends up exhausting us emotionally. I havent found that alternative myself to be honest, maybe I havent surrendered fully, i dont know. Anyway, welcome again, there is a lot of support and info in this community.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! GLad you are here.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the word that jumped out at me on your post is "fight". If you are serious about AA, there is no fight. We surrender on the first step. The big book says "We ceased fighting anyone and anything, including alcohol".

So if you are in the frame of mind that you are in a "fight" or that you are gong to "beat" your drinking problem, let me respectfully suggest that you have not taken step one yet.

Taken step one? I'm reaching out again for the first time in some time, so do I feel it's a fight? Guess so. Feels like the fight of my life. I can say I surrender all day long, but I've yet to feel it.
Just to clarify, is this an AA only site?

thanx for the words of kindness
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Welcome to SR. It sounds to me like you have a good plan just make sure you stick to it and then no need for another relapse. I also agree with dgillz.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by MisStinger View Post
Nope! There are alternatives to AA. Look around the forums. I tend to hang out in Secular Connections, personally. I don't do AA. It works for a lot of people though.

Welcome to SR though, you're in good company here.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's nice to have you here,I'm new to recovery and the advice from SR members
has been greatly appreciated
Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You will find lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

MisStinger welcome to SR, in one way I can see it as a fight, I fought alcoholism for many years before I finally surrendered to the fact that I was an alchoilc and could not on my own, by my own power alone stay sober, I surrendered to that fact and I went to AA why I found a Power greater then myself or alcohol that I understood and that power was of my understanding and no one elses.

I have used AA but there are as mentioned other recovery programs as well, the biggest deal I think is not trying to take on the beast by your self. Go to that meeting if you wish, keep an open mind to new things, be honest & willing, you never have to drink again.... unless you want to.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have accepted that I'm an alcoholic and can never control my drinking. ONly way to beat it is to surrender to my being powerless over it and never touch it again. One day at a time, I am taking control over my life. I am happier without alcohol and don't 'need' it anymore.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

MisStinger.....
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd "introduce" myself. I'm not "new" to recovery, but I am trying to get my head straight after yet another relapse. I've been fighting the fight for about a year and a half now. I keep hoping it gets better, but each day continues to be a struggle....one I'm afraid I can't win. Sometimes it just seems imposible.

So, I finally decided to give the internet a try. Hopefully, it can be a lifeline when I need one. Hopefully, come tomorrow evening, I will find myself at a 12 step meeting. It would be the first in months. Hard to go back I guess, but I know I have to if I have ANY chance at getting my life back.

Anyway, hi to all.
welcome!!!

Hoping never makes things happen.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome. This has been my lifeline since January and this is the longest I've gone without drinking in 17 years, and that was only because I was pregnant.

As far as AA, there are people here of alot of different opinions, so your'e bound to relate to someone.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

[I]
Nope, this site supports all kinds of recovery related sanctions, support groups, etc. Including the NA, and the ones for people who are related/married to people fighting addiction.
Welcome SR, by the way! I think you have found the right place. I am pretty new to this site, myself. Maybe a week or two in, and your post jumped out at me because you said you're not new to recovery, but are new to this site. That's the same thing I said when I first came here to SR. And I can say, so far, I love it. I have found a lot of useful information, a place to chat, vent, get advice, give advice, and be myself. It's really helped me as I don't get as much of a chance to get to NA meetings with my new job. I can get to one or two a week. I used to go to one almost every day.
I just hit my 60 day mark this past weekend! I've been struggling with my addiction (crack cocaine) since November of 2008. I had been using only a couple of years, when I saw the effects and the guilt really got to me. But things really didn't hit the all might bottom until February 2009. One thing I've learned is that when we're not done, we're not done. We've got to hit that bottom. Be it jails, institutions, losing friends and family, being broke, being tired, being sick, or being sick and tired. I just hope that death isn't anyone's bottom anymore. We've got so much help available to us now. We just have to want it.
Again, welcome. I am so glad you are here. It doesn't matter what your DOC is, as long as you're here and you find the help you are seeking!!! *HUGS*
Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No, it is not an AA only site. You did mention going to a 12 step meeting, which is typically NA or AA. The first step is the same regardless, just substitute your DOC for alcohol.

And as others have mentioned this site supports sobriety however you find it, 12 step or otherwise.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm a newbie here too, thought I would try to find an online source of sober support to go along with meetings ect. I have found a lot of info, wisdom and encouragement here. I hope you stick with it. I was feeling very hopeless last week but am starting to get my head clear. I too am not new to recovery and have been frustrated by my many "failed" attempts at sobriety. I have finally surrendered to the fact that I have a disease called alcoholism and can never drink again if I am to have a happy healthy life. It's not that I am weak and cannot "control" my drinking, it's that I don't experience alcohol like "normal" people so the only way to avoid the inevitable problems is to avoid alcohol. That's the way I look at it anyway.

I hope to see you here more! Hang in there.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thnx for your kind words. Made a meeting everyday actually...sometimes twice.