Notices

In need

Old 04-04-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation In need

I'm new on here and don't really know where to start... I'm addicted to benadryl and have been for about twelve years. I'm only 23 and I have a two year old daughter and I'm scared I'm going to die the same way my mother died... Overdose. I have tried to stop by myself before but it never works. No one in my family or my friends know about this. I need help.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Welcome to SR, Scaredtodie.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Scaredtodie -

I would recommend seeing your doctor and being very honest with him/her about your addiction.

Keep posting... You will find alot of support here. :ghug3
Old 04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. I used to mix Benadryl with booze. Have you talked with a Dr about this yet? You are not alone. You don't have to live this way anymore.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
broken wings

I'm sorry you are struggling so much.Hang around for awhile there are some great people here keep your head up
Old 04-04-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Please talk to your dr and get his advice on what to do.

And, I'm so glad that you are seeking support. You can do this!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have not talked to anyone about this. I don't know what kind of doctor to talk to I don't really have a regular doctor. I just don't know where to turn to it has gotten so bad that I have taken up to 15 pills at a time
Old 04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to our loving community. History doesn't have to repeat itself. You already know what has to be done, and that's huge. Have you tried NA? I agree with the others about seeing your doctor, especially since you've been using for such a long time. Please tell us more about you when you can. Finding this place - and not feeling alone anymore - helped get me sober after more than 25 yrs. Sending love and hope your way.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sorry, Scared, we posted at the same time. I see you don't have a regular dr., but please find someone to check you out, withdrawal could be dangerous in your situation.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Scaredtodie. I would definitely find a doctor to talk with. I finally came clean with my doctor and told her I was an alcoholic, but I wasn't drinking anymore. She wrote it down in her notes and will keep it as a reference to any future problems I may have.

I would think a doctor could definitely steer you in the right direction. Go until you find the doctor you are comfortable with. As Hevyn said please also find a face to face support group if you can. It will help you big time, but the first step is in the medical field. You can do it hun. Hugs to you and I am very grateful you joined this community. It has kept me sober almost a year after many, many years of drinking crazily every day. I feel so much better and you will too.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I just don't know what is available to you in the VI
but I too think a doctor needs to be consulted.

Can you find a local Narcotics Anonymous meeting?
Then you could go ask those members about doctors.
Look in your phone book.
Also look for Alcoholics Anonymous...ask for resources.

No one you speak with will be shocked
you will find a lot of understanding ...

Blessings to you and your daughter
Old 04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

More about me...I'm 23 I have a two year old. My father died when I was 11, that's when my mother started giving me sleeping pills because I couldn't sleep after he died. When she stopped giving them to me I would sneak them. When I didn't have them I wouldn't sleep at all. I started taking other pills besides sleeping pills because they started to have no effect on me. At age 16 my mother died and I never stopped taking them because when I did I had nightmares and with benadryl you don't have dreams. So that was my way of dealing with that.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Scaredtodie I wish you the best in your recovery, it sounds like you have had some tough challenges to deal with.

Please try to arrange an appointment with a doctor & put together a plan.

Take Care

NB
Old 04-04-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've really put some serious thought into the why's and when Scared. That's a start. It seems if you read this forum there is a lot of discussion as to what people are running from when they abuse alcohol and/or pills. I honestly haven't found out my demons, but I know the thing that held me back from being alive is the drinking. I didn't feel. I didn't know true bliss or the opposite because I never took the time to face emotions. I hid, but I'm not doing that anymore. It is definitely harder at times but so much more rewarding to face life. You have support here, but I definitely hope you'll first seek medical attention and then maybe counseling. You've had a lot to deal with friend. We will be here for you as much as we can.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is so nice to find people you don't even know care so much when not even my friends care. I try to talk to friends but they think I'm joking
Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

You have gone through quite a bit.
I would find a physician first of all to ask about stoppiong the pills.
And also looking into some kind counseling.
You dont want to leave your daughter to deal with the same things you have had to deal with.
There is alot of support here. I hope you stick around and find some help soon.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh Scared - You will find we care because we know the trouble and the anguish you've been through with the addiction. I don't know the pain or trouble that led you to it, but I do understand the addiction. We have addiction in common. Mine was alcohol though. I believe addiction is addiction though and yes, we definitely care about you. Hope to see you around here tomorrow. You stay on as long as you need hun. I have got to go to bed. Fighting some sort of virus today, but at least I'm fighting it and not trying to drink it away. That would be the old me. Again, I'm glad you've joined and you can consider me a SR friend that definitely cares about your well being.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please look for a doctor to talk to about this. YOu deserve a better life, without the pills. You CAN get clean and live better. Take it one day at a time and you can learn to live without the pills.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 04-05-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Can you share what Benadryl does for you
or to you?

How did you get started on it?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It let's me sleep without the nightmares