Notices

An introduction and request for help

Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An introduction and request for help

Hi,

I'm 31 years old and I have been struggeling with drinking for about 3 years now. Sadly I think this has alot to do with low self esteem... when I'm in a relationship, I'm pretty good at not acting out. I usually drink in moderation and find purpose in taking care of myself for the other person... I just lost my girl, feel so bad... trying to manage...

I feel I do not have the willpower to be careful when I'm alone though... right now I am hung over from a binge drink that set me back a few days... I have no idea why/how this could have happened... I felt so strong yesterday...

I need someone to talk to and to support my effort, I honestly feel pretty helpless... Have anyone of you ever felt that this addiction could get very destructive,very fast... I have alwready lost my drivers licence for it, I hated myself so much for that...

I need advice, help and support. Ideas and hints on how to manage my recovery.

thank you.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome to the forum. This is a wonderful place for info and support. Stick around, take some time to read some of the threads. I'm sorry about your relationship loss... drinking isn't going to make it better though.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Pollock. Glad you found SR - it is a great place.. I agree with gypsy - read around SR a lot and start thinking about what your own recovery plan might look like. There are so many options and you will get great support here!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, this forum is awesome support, even if you just need someone to talk to, there is sure to be someone on here all the time
Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pollock, you've had the good sense to recognize your problem and to try and improve your life. I ruined mine with drinking - created a living hell for myself. When I was in my 30's I still had chance to turn it all around, but I just kept going, determined to control it. That never worked for me, and the destruction continued up until last year. You've seen the light, and that's something to be very thankful for, since many people never do. You can rise above all your troubles. I hope you enjoy joining our family - it's helped save my life.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am greatful to have found this website. More grateful to have found many who deal with the same issues. I feel ashamed to admit that I have a problem... but now it seems quite obvious, I am an alcoholic.

There I said it.

Not a relief though, scary as hell.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pollack,

Welcome to SR.

Most of us have been where you are today and many of us still struggle with staying committed to recovery by not drinking. The only way to control alcohol is to not drink it, for when we do, there's no way of predicting our behavior or the consequences we will face after the buzz is over. Recovery takes time, and for me, an absolute commitment to abstaining from drinking, regardless of what it takes. It took me a lot of years to learn this simple fact.

I hope you grasp this concept and can begin to exercise the discipline required to apply it to your life while you are still young. Like Hevyn, I wasted many years because I refused to learn what it takes to live a good life. It is also essential that we have help, a lot of help, and SR is a good place to start.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

When I decided to quit drinking...I detested
the woman I had become from alcohol.

Every serious problem in my life had alcohol involved.
I consider my final 5 years ...I was an active alcoholic.

AA is an awesome adventure ...works well for me.
I'm glad you are here with us...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just admitting that there is a problem is a big first step toward solving the problem. Have you considered AA? It's not for everyone but many have found support and understanding in those rooms.

Depending on how long and how much you've been drinking, seeing a doctor for medical help with the detox may be a wise idea. Other than that, just don't drink today. Take it one day at a time. Don't drink today and when tomorrow rolls around, don't drink today again. You CAN win over this addiction. It takes time and effort so don't give up on yourself.

Welcome!