Notices

Hanging on by a thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Hanging on by a thread

I'm 31, mom to two girls 8 and 10. Wife of nearly 11 years, and just in the past year and a half, an alcoholic. My father was an alcoholic when I was a child. He quit cold turkey and only recently was drinking again.

I used to just be a social drinker. But, since losing our house, quitting my job, my husband becoming a truck driver, I have gone over the edge! I feel like I'm losing it. I don't drink every day, but when I do drink I get drunk. I can easily consume 12 or more beers and still be "functional". It used to knock me out to have that much.

I am here because yesterday, I started drinking at 11 in the morning. I went to the store twice to get a 6 pack, on top of finishing off the remaining 4 beers that were already in the fridge. Then, in the evening, my husband was called into work. I was not expecting that at all. Things have been slow lately so I had no worries.

I was so humiliated to call friends and ask if they could drive him to work because I couldn't. I feel so ashamed this morning, so out of control, so scared. I don't want this to be my life. I don't want to be "the drunk". I'm tired of doing things that I normally wouldn't do if I was sober. I'm tired of waking up w/ a hang over and being scared to take the kids to school. I'm just tired.......

Well, I'm here so I guess that's a start.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey and welcome!

All you can do it live one day at a time. It get harder before it gets easier! But you can kick this!
If not for yourself. but for your kids!

Great to have you here with us!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

trouble
if you don`t take the first drink,you will never have to be concerned with feeling or living like you do right now.It`s that first drink that sets the cycle in motion,not the 3rd,or 6th or 12th drink.
Just for today,one day at a time,we stay sober.I pray in the morning and say thank you at night for a days sobriety.Have you asked God,as you understand God,to help you not take the first drink today,just one day at a time?Have you been to an AA meeting or read the Big Book?

Alcoholics Anonymous :
here is a link to a online copy of the big book in case you are interested
the solution in it works good for me because I needed more than just support,I needed help from people who had the same problem and had been successful in getting and staying sober.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You too can beat your alcoholism. You can stay sober one day at a time. Just don't drink today,no matter what. THere is a 'sticky' at the top of the page in the Alcoholism forum. It gives info on the experiences of others going thru alcohol withdrawal - what to do and how long it may last. The actual physical withdrawal from alcohol lasts a few days. Those few days can be rough, but it's so worth it to get away from alcohol.

After you've gotten sober it can be a great help to work some sort of 'program' with face to face support, such as AA. You CAN live sober, and it's so much better than a drinking life.

Welcome to a great place for support and understanding.:ghug3
Old 04-01-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
You too can beat your alcoholism. You can stay sober one day at a time. Just don't drink today,no matter what. THere is a 'sticky' at the top of the page in the Alcoholism forum.
Wow, looking at that sticky made me realize that I am becoming physically dependant on alcohol now, not just psychologically. I drink about every other day because that second day is when I start to get very irritable and anxous. I didn't realize it was because of the alcohol. My head feels a little foggy this morning, I'm weepy, and I can still taste alchohol in my mouth. But, what do I expect after 16 drinks. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Time to find the local AA.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here.