Notices

I need help

Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

Hi. I am here because I really need help both with quitting drinking and with Major Depression. The two really feed off each other. I've got a call into my psychiatrist for tomorrow. I don't really know where to start fixing the alcohol part of things. I live in a small town and there aren't many AA meetings here, guess I could drive to the city, its an hour away. I don't know how practical that would be long term, though. Any advice or suggestions on how to get help? I don't know where to go from here. Thanks for listening
Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to have you with us Starbuck. Your by no means alone in this. You have probably taken your biggest step by realizing you have a problem. You will find lots of help here. I`m on the road to recovery myself so I`m no expert, It must be tough for you but just be strong and try to not take that first drink. I hope things get better for you.
Take care
Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad you are here.
I am glad you have made an appt with your Pdoc. Thats a good start.
Alcohol is a depressant. And they say drinking is but a symptom of other issues.
I would say first dont drink no matter what.
Is there any outpatient reahbs around you?
Maybe your pdoc or physician can suggest some programs.
And this is always a good place to get support as well.
I know there are some people here that have a link to meeting locator.
Hang in there.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im so glad you are reaching out!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Starbuck,

The best place to start with stopping drinking is to talk to your dr. Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous.

That said, AA works well, but is not the only way to recover.

And, yes, it depends whether the depression came before the drinking or was caused by the drinking. For me, the depression came years before the drinking, but for many the drinking causes depression because alcohol is a depressant.

I'm glad you are talking to your psychiatrist, and I hope you take a look around and read and learn.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Worth stopping drinking Starbuck and see what happens ?

As anna says be safe though.

I used to think I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks, I attended a counsellor for 8 weeks for it, trouble was I never was honest with her about my drinking.

She'd ask me if I drank and I claimed I only had the occasional beer or glass of wine.

Occassional if you don't count the half bottle of vodka I downed straight after work every day I suppose !!!!

Anyways, you know what, since I stopped drinking last May, ain'y had problems with either, no panic attacks, no anxiety, and no wonder, I was mostly panicking about geting caught out drinking I suppose.

Even if after stopping drinking you still have depression its a step in the right direction.

Myself and others on here have managed to stop by using SR for support only, it is possible, stick around and keep posting.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Starbuck. It's great that you're reaching out for help and recognize that you need to make changes in your life. Some people never get it, and spend their lives wallowing in misery. I know firsthand what self-medicating can do. I lost my husband to alcohol abuse. (I drank with him & ended up with my own problems later.) Too late I realized he was masking his depression with drinking & it ended up destroying his health. I see you joined awhile ago, maybe you just weren't ready at that time. Congratulations on the new beginning you are giving yourself.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Yes, I've tried to quit drinking many times before. I'm ready for real help. I know it is making the depression worse. I've used drinking as self-medication for too long. I also lied about the amount I drink to doctors. Too prideful or ashamed, I don't know. I am going to try to be really honest tomorrow. Maybe I should just write it down on a piece of paper and give it to him (the pdoc), so that way I can't lie at the last minute. The depression came first, so I don't think just quitting alcohol will solve everything, but it could certainly help a lot. Thanks again for all your support. I will check back in and let you all know what the pdoc says.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

That sounds like a good idea about writing it down. That way you wont forget anything either.
Good Luck
Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just wanted to let everyone know that my pdoc put me on paxil. Yesterday I wasn't feeling good at all, but today it feels as if I am finally able to relax. No anxiety and no cravings yet. I'm a little tired, had a hard time sleeping last night, but that is ok. Life is looking a little brighter. I just hope it isn't the placebo effect.