feeling lost

Old 08-17-2003, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
alt36

feeling lost

I don't even know where to begin. About 2 months ago my husband nearly killed himself by mixing Antabuse and vodka. After that the drinking stopped. I was so proud of him. He landed a great job in a new state where he said we would start a brand new life together. Well I was stupid and gave up a great job to move 3 children and myself half-way across the country. Now here I am reliving a nightmare. The drinking is just as bad as it was before. Vodka bottles being hidden all over the house, no more Antabuse for him. The Antabuse by the way is court ordered for a DWI conviction. I don't know what to do anymore I am so down that I spend most of my time sleeping.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome to SR!!

You can find an Alanon meeting in your area which would do two things.

You would make new friends. Moving to a new state means leaving the old ones behind. You must feel even more isolated than if you were at home.

Also, you could begin your own recovery from the effects of living with alcoholism. As you recover many things become much clearer and decisions can be made from that new clarity.

Another thing you could do is get a new job. You say you gave up a great one so working sounds like an important part of your life.

Sleeping all the time is a sign of depression...not good. You owe it to your children to give them the healthest, happiest mother possible. You can't change anyone else...but you can make it your "job" to begin to take care of yourself!

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-17-2003, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Disappointment is one of the most

difficult parts of dealing with an alcoholic. And I was continually disappointed until I learned to live a life that was not dependent on his sobriety. As long as my happiness depended on him being sober, I was setting myself up for disappointment.
I hope that you can find a way to take care of yourself. Please put your happiness and your peace of mind at the top of your list right now. Sleeping is a great escape, but it isn't going to make your life any better. You deserve to be happy and to have a life that is fulfilling. I believe that one day at a time, you can find your way to a better place. Welcome to the board, I hope you stick around.
Peace,
Gabe