Random positivity

Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Random positivity

I wanted a place to post random feel-good stories of any sort. Please share anything you'd like!

I had lunch a couple weeks ago with three girls I went to college with, the first time around. I've known them for about 10 years. I shared a room with one of them for 2 years. If you ever want to really know someone, live in a 10x10 space with them for that long. If you don't murder each other, you'll never stop being friends.

I was really worried about it because I felt like I would be completely and totally lying if I did not tell them about my drug issues. These girls are the sweetest, most straight-laced people I know, and I wasn't sure how they would react. And it was great. They asked me questions like what kind of drugs I had done, why I started, why I quit, etc. And then it was like, "OK. We're glad you told us. And we understand why you were nervous about it, but we love you and want you to be better. And if you don't email or call or post on Facebook every day, we will drive to your house and annoy you. And don't think the 5 hour drive will deter us." And when they didn't hear from me yesterday? My inbox was full, and my voicemail overflowing with concerns for my well-being. I haven't felt so loved in a long time.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

NIce story Gneiss.
I have a story and your mentioning facebook reminded me of it.
signed up for facebook because my sons are on it and I just wanted to see what it was about. I started to use the search feature and located my best friend from chikdhood on it whom I have known since I was 2 which is about 378 years in dog yeard (long time). I hadn't seen him in over 15 years and the last time was when he borrowed money from my wife.
Anyways we talked a few times on the phone and he got my address and around Christmas he paid back the money he owed her. It was nice that he remembered and then paid her back. He was a ceack head, oxy user, and alkie but has been clean for at least 10 years. He just quit on his own with the help of his doctor to detox.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
I wanted a place to post random feel-good stories of any sort. Please share anything you'd like!

I had lunch a couple weeks ago with three girls I went to college with, the first time around. I've known them for about 10 years. I shared a room with one of them for 2 years. If you ever want to really know someone, live in a 10x10 space with them for that long. If you don't murder each other, you'll never stop being friends.

I was really worried about it because I felt like I would be completely and totally lying if I did not tell them about my drug issues. These girls are the sweetest, most straight-laced people I know, and I wasn't sure how they would react. And it was great. They asked me questions like what kind of drugs I had done, why I started, why I quit, etc. And then it was like, "OK. We're glad you told us. And we understand why you were nervous about it, but we love you and want you to be better. And if you don't email or call or post on Facebook every day, we will drive to your house and annoy you. And don't think the 5 hour drive will deter us." And when they didn't hear from me yesterday? My inbox was full, and my voicemail overflowing with concerns for my well-being. I haven't felt so loved in a long time.
Aww, that is so nice I am glad that taking this risk turned out well for you. It sounds like you have some nice friends there.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Fubar I really liked your story. I have a drug buddy who owes me a significant chunk of change but I've kind of written it off. Everyone has told me I'll never be paid back. That may be true, I don't know. He's contacted me a couple times and offered to pay me what he had at the moment but it was really more trouble than it was worth. He's trying to clean up and get back on track and I think he genuinely wants to pay me back, but he is as broke as me at the moment. He really did surprise me though, I never expected him to even attempt to pay me back. I kind of keep faith in him though, I feel like if he can come back far enough to even attempt to pay me back, considering how far gone he was, there's hope for me. I don't know why but hope seems to be a really big theme in my life right now. I look for any little thing that gives me hope that I can get better.

Katie, Yup. These girls are amazing. One of them is married to a youth pastor and he used to do drugs and be kind of wild so I wasn't real worried about her. The other two surprised me, they reacted ten times better than I thought they would.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I've started dropping in on the Newcomer's thread and anytime someone posts about being either brand new to recovery or has a milestone of any kind (doesn't matter. 3 days, 2 weeks, a month, 2 months, a year, 10 years) I try to congratulate them. A quick congratulations probably doesn't mean much to most but the fact that I say something positive helps me immensely. Keeps my brain in happy mode.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congratulations on your 30 days +. I rarely venture outside of secular....
Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
I've started dropping in on the Newcomer's thread and anytime someone posts about being either brand new to recovery or has a milestone of any kind (doesn't matter. 3 days, 2 weeks, a month, 2 months, a year, 10 years) I try to congratulate them. A quick congratulations probably doesn't mean much to most but the fact that I say something positive helps me immensely. Keeps my brain in happy mode.
I think your on to something... I'm going to do the same.