Notices

What's up with this?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's up with this?

:wtf2

I stepped on the scale today, and it screamed at me to "get the h*ll off of me".

No kidding, I've gained like fifteen pounds since I joined here in February.

Maybe I'm spending too much time on my butt in front of this computer, lol.

Geez, if I keep this up, next thing you know, I'll have to join another group to lose weight. I got a hair cut today, but since most of my hair is gone, that didn't help much.

Seriously, is gaining weight normal?

I dedicating myself to lose the extra pounds starting tonight. Anybody with me??

6 Here's some cake to start off in the right direction, lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I lost about 30 lbs in my first 60 days. Wild weight fluctuations are relatively normal. Mmmmm..cake!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Well, I started gaining weight but I'd lost a lot of weight due to my drug use. Sadly, I was actually feeling pretty good about my weight when I quit drugs, and now every ounce is back, plus a little more. Better get myself away from the computer and in the general vicinity of a treadmill.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was just thinking, maybe my scale is broken, since it's digital.

Gotta run to Walmart and get another, sometimes technology is a real bite in the butt.

I'm sure that's the problem, don't ya think?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks midas and gnesis,

I hope I slim down soooon, can't afford all new pants is this economy.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't you hate wise-cracking scales? I do. How about this one as a replacement...

(or handsome, whichever may apply)
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks gneiss,

That's the one I need, and handsome works for me, lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was 50 ...my doctor told me most people
gain 2 lbs. yearly as their metabolism slows down.

She suggested cutting out 250 calaries daily plus walking.

I did neither....and By Jove! she was correct.
:brick:

BTW--I was still drinking then and when I quit...
at 52......my weight did not budge either way.

Scales? do they still make them?
I weigh only at the doctors office...
Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started this thread because I really am worried about this weight, mainly because it seems to make it harder for me to breath. Is this normal? I feel like a bloated cow and am short of breath often lately, so I'm wondering if the two could be related? For the record, I'm 5'10" and weighed 216 lbs. this morning.

Gosh, I'm ashamed to even put that out there. Gotta join a gym.

I think I'll ask my doc next week when I see him. This just isn't good.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol, that's it, I just turned fifty a week ago today, so that's it, my metabolism slowed down, lol.

Wow, I was getting worried there, but now I know.

At two pounds a year, I've already used my allowance for the next 7 1/2 yrs. That stinks.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Losing weight makes it easier to breathe. Go in for a little chekup just to make sure everything is working okay and then you can check out a few of the free online weight loss sites. PM me, I just pulled up one I have used. Many of my friends use a plan that follows points and they are very sucessful with that. Slow and Steady wins the race though.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

firestorm,I bet I gained 30 lbs my first 6 months sober.My face was swollen with water buildup and when I quit drinking and looked in the mirror,it looked like I had lost weight.When I looked at my butt...well....you know...it had swole up...
but thats ok...it hasn`t went down yet,as a matter of fact,it`s bigger

now for that sausage biscuit..
Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

firestorm,

I'm with you on...I gained 20 pounds from drinking and eating non stop the day after. Started back at the gym this week and feeling better...

IMT
Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Resident

Phase 2 of my recovery plan involves returning my body to it's healthiest state. When I first quit drinking I gained about 10 lbs from sugar consumption. In the last 6 weeks I ghave taken it back off by using a processed sugar free diet, the gym 5 says a week, and the help of the OS free people here at SR. I am back down to 170 pounds at 5'10" which is at the top of the BMI scale for healhy and what I consider the ideal weight. I don't count calories or anything like that I just don't eat bad stuff.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey bballdad, itsmytime, and fubarcdn,

Thanks for leeting me know this isn't unique. I seems I'm always chomping on something these days and it's beginning to show, plus I feel like crap. I'm starting an exercise routine today and am going to drink more water instead of soda and coffee. I'm going to buy gum, so that if I'm munching on it, I don't gain much weight. It really bugs me.

I hope this is just a phase.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You probably already know the answer.. Start eating healthier, cut down on carbs, smaller meals.. You can eat 4 or 5 small meals a day to keep your metabolism going. Lots of water.. First go to the dr to get a physical.. Then start an exercise routine, start off slow at first til your body adapts to the exersion.. Then move forward from there.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Firestorm,

Be kind to yourself and patient.

It's springtime, so maybe it's time to get outside and get some exercise. You're doing great!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is scary stuff. I weighed 216 lbs yesterday and weigh 216.5 today. I was fairly active yesterday and tried to watch what I ate, but gained another half pound in one day. That's sickening.

At this rate, I'll gain another ten pounds a month, geez, I'm fat enough already. Think I need my mouth wired shut. Come to think of it, there's a few people I know who would agree.

Damn.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

a) weighing yourself every day to see progress is ridiculous. your weight will fluctuate on a daily basis for a lot of different reasons... hormones, water weight, what clothes you're wearing when you get on the scale. yeah. you can lose half a pound if you go to the bathroom sometimes, so that's insanity. stop doing that.

b) eat breakfast. eat a GOOD breakfast, with lotsa fiber and protein. make breakfast your good meal, it'll jump start your metabolism.

c) walk wherever you can, take the stairs, find reasons to get up and move around, stretch... anything that gets your blood and body movin is good for you.

d) cardio cannot be replaced by anything else. it will help you lose weight the fastest, and as much as it sucks you'll feel about a billion times better within a month of starting and continuing cardio, even if it's as little as twice a week.

e) strength training will make you look better naked. you won't bulk up unless you're throwing down mad weights with lots of reps. strength training can also be anything with resistence, like swimming or yoga.

f) relax. stress causes weight gain. make sure you get enough sleep, too.

g) love yourself exactly where you're at, because i bet you think worse of yourself than anyone else. god (or whatever you believe in, or don't believe in, or blah blah blah) doesn't make mistakes, so you're about 5'10" of perfection.

xx's and oo's
Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I gained 25 pounds in my first year of sobriety for several reasons:
I never ate when I drank
All I wanted to do was sleep the first 6-9 months
I rewarded myself for not drinking with M&Ms! massive amounts of M&Ms

I also started retaining water terribly and my doctor put me on a diuretic and that helps. 18 months into my sobriety I still weigh 15 more than I did drunk but I was too skinny then cause like I said I didn't eat I just drank.

J