Gonna Try out a Coda Meeting tonight

Old 03-26-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Gonna Try out a Coda Meeting tonight

I found a Coda meeting in my area and tonight I'm going to check it out.. well it's actually about a 30 minute drive from my house but it's all interstate and when I map quested that part of town, it seemed pretty safe so I'm going to give it a go.

I ran across the codependent anyonymous blue book a few weeks ago and read it from cover to cover. I saw myself on every single page of that book. I knew that was my HP's way of telling me I needed to attend a Coda meeting in addition to alanon..

The best thing is there is a Naranon meeting 2 miles away that starts right when the CODA meeting is ending. This works out perfect because I have been wanting to try Naranon as well but there are none in the town that I live in.

If this works out, this will be killing two birds with one stone because I have not been able to make my alanon meeting on a regular basis for the past 2 months because of my work schedule..
Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like a big night! Let us know how the Coda meeting goes. I've never been to one either and as a matter of fact, haven't looked it up on a long time to see if one is anywhere nearby.

Good for you!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great. Never been to Coda meeting b/4, as there aren't any in my area. Let us know how it goes.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would also like to know how it went as there are none in my area. I am SURE that I could use one (or many).

Gotahavfaith
Old 03-26-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well that was a bust... I found the meeting but it was no longer Coda, it was a closed AA meeting instead.. I was kind of frustrated at first but then figured it just wasn't ment to be so there was no reason to get upset about it.. but man, I really wanted to go to one of those because I think it would help me so much.

However, my AH was just telling me this afternoon about a guy in his NA group that attends CODA in a town 30 minutes away but in the opposite direction of the one I checked out tonight. This particular meeting is not advertised on the CODA sight so he is going to get the information from his friend the next time he sees him at NA.

I wonder how hard it would be to start a CODA meeting in my town.. we have lots of AA meetings, lots of NA meetings, one alanon meeting and even 3 or 4 Celebrate Recovery meetings but no Naranon or CODA.. so I'm sure the need is there, it's just the matter of getting one started.. I'm hesitent because I'm still new at recovery but maybe that doesn't really matter..

anyway, maybe the one my AH knows about will be a better match.. so until then it's going to have to be alanon when my schedule allows and open NA meetings which have really helped me get to know myself in ways I never thought possible.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I`m sorry that didn`t work out for you. CoDA was my home fellowship for many years before we moved north.

You can check out here about starting a new meeting if you are interested. It takes a lot of work to get one going, but the rewards are worth all the sweat.

Co-dependents Anonymous

Hugs
Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hmmm, that link didn`t work for me. If it doesn`t work for you, go to

w ww.coda . org without the spaces.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what happened to the Naranon meeting? Was it a bust also?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenity Bound View Post
what happened to the Naranon meeting? Was it a bust also?

No, that one was not a bust and I will probably try to go to the Naranon one in the very near future.. I know for a fact that that meeting is legit.

The area of town I was in was an area that I did not feel comfortable in after dark so I headed on home.. According to the website, the church that the Naranon meeting is held in also has an NA meeting at the same time so maybe the next time my AH has a thursday night off I will get him to ride down there with me so we can each go to a meeting..

Recovery is important but my safety is just as important and being that I had to choose between the two, I chose my well being.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good Choice.