Notices

Day 7, even with a stressful week...

Old 03-26-2009, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7, even with a stressful week...

Day 7 - feeling good, sleeping well. However, I am having an extremely stressful week at work as I was off last week and paying for it now. There are things at work that are soooooooo stressful, one is I do not have any backup so I feel overwhelmed most times. I have not had a drink, but today is my trigger day, I would start drinking Thurs - Sat. I am getting in a different mindset and made Thursday a gym night. Dealing with stress through exercise will be my new outlet.

Thanks for helping me get through these past 7 days with all your support.

IMT
Old 03-26-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there.

Weekends are definately tough. They bring a lot of relief from having to work and time to re-energize. Exercising is a great thing to do instead of drinking. I used to spend my time in the evenings slopping down loads of whiskey. Now I exercise just about every night. So good work on that, to both of us. Stay focused now as you enter the weekend. Remember that your goal is sobriety and a healthier you. If you feel the cravings are too great then come here, go to AA, call a friend or whatever it is you need to do. Good luck to you.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what ya mean. I have trigger days as well. Day 7 for me too. Keep it up.

I thought about the gym thing. I sat in the parking lot at Gold's for 30 minutes. Never went in. Maybe on Saturday I'll go in and get a membership.

Tuco
Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Now that the weather is breaking a little, I am getting out on my bicycle more... I used to ride right through the winter, but this winter was different... and the effect on me and my sobriety/self esteem is profound.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 7 days, Ken made some fine suggestions, the longer I stay sober, the more things I find I can do to releive stress, what has helped me deal with life today is applying the steps to everything, the Serenity prayer is an awesome tool, when something is really getting to me I say it silently usually to myself slowly, letting it sink into the situation at hand, this allows me to take action if needed or to just accept what I can not change and to simply move on rather then wasting time and energy on things I have no control over.

Last edited by Tazman53; 03-26-2009 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Can't spell!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on the week Itsmytime and tuco70.. Hang in there..
Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I think changing routines and patterns in your daily life is a great tool!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, day 7 for me too.

My downfall was always when I was having a rough week at work. I would let my mind wonder and think about how great it would be to go home and get drunk, completely ignoring how crappy it would actually be and how bad I would feel the next morning. Not to mention what a waste my weekend would turn out to be.

Now when my mind starts to wonder I try hard to focus on the bad parts of getting drunk and then try to think of something more productive to do to feel better. Exercise, working on a hobby, watching a movie.

I also plan something for saturday morning, which gives me motivation to get to bed early.

Hang in there. This board is wonderful. Checking in twice per day has become a helpful routine.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,

Looking forward to many hangover free weekends..what a waste and I gained weight with the day after eating ughhhhhh Feeling better and stronger, don't miss it yet, worried about the summer but I will cross that bridge then don't want to jeopardize my recovery with what if's...

Ciao for now,
IMT
Old 03-27-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 8..made it through Thursday

Went to the gym, had a healthy dinner and watched idol. Feel great today - I am so excited my oldest is coming home from University this weekend, we haven't seen him in a month.....
Old 03-27-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Resident

Congratulations Itsmytime.
Looks like things are going real well for you so far.
I have a son in University but he comes home every night so I am usually not that glad to see him.