Could meds be blocking dopamine?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could meds be blocking dopamine?

After reading the article "Dopamine, Methamphetamines, and You", (Posted by Freedom - thank you) I really had a better understanding of how this all works in the brain. That meth use destroys dopamine, and the user no longer has enough, if any, "natural" dopamine. Dopamine is what makes us feel good.

The body can make replacement dopamine over time.

This all makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is the type of meds that my AH's doctor has him taking. I don't really know that I should second guess their treatment, but I have to wonder at this point.

Until today, I was not sure exactly which drugs he was taking. I knew he was taking something to help him sleep, and an anti-depressant. The sleep med does put him to sleep, and quickly. The anti-depressant on the other hand does not seem to be working. (Not sure any of the prescribed meds are actually an anti-depressant).

I asked him the name of the drugs he was taking, and researched them a little bit. This is what I found.

He is taking Quetipane and Ziprasidone. These are both used to treat schizophrenia and bi-polar conditions, neither of which my husband has ever been diagnosed with, and I don't think he has either.

These medications both work in much the same way, so I don't know why he would be prescribed both of them. Reading about how they work stunned me somewhat. It says that "it inhibits communication between nerves of the brain. It does this by blocking receptors on the nerves for several neurotransmitters, the chemicals that nerves use to communicate with each other. It is thought that its beneficial effect is due to blocking of the dopamine type 2 (D2) and serotonin type 2 (5-HT2) receptors".

:wtf2 - I take this to mean that these meds are actually blocking what little dopamine he probably had left! I don't get it!

He has called the doctor (VA Hospital) to get an appointment to discuss his meds.

I haven't told him about what I found about the meds and what they are for, I will have to wait until he gets home from work tonite.

VA is the only option we have for medical care for him because we have no health insurance for him. Since he is a disabled vet, it costs nothing except for his meds. I have always been a little unsure of the doctors at the VA, at least some of them. My friend is a nurse there and has said things sometimes.

I have to wonder if the type of medications the doctor prescribed has hampered his recovery in any way. He is clean from meth, but has remained extremely depressed and unmotivated.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would definitely bring up those concerns with the doctor at the VA and be assertive about it. I'm confused as to why those particular meds are even being prescribed?

What does he have in place for 'recovery' other than abstaining from meth?

Also, how long has he been clean?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

These psch meds are used for many different things not just the main diagnosis that is stated - many docs also do a cocktail of meds to try to get the right effect and many people have to try different variations before they find the right one for them. Yes some for bi-polor and schizo do block some dopamine. my son was on some of these and said he felt like a zombie on them - so he decided to quit taking the meds and take illegal drugs to get the zombie feeling he preferred. I'll never try to get him to take meds again - it was confusing dealing with a kid to say dont do your drugs - do these drugs.

But the big question i have is that you're doing a lot of work for him researching his meds - that's fine to educate yourself but are you taking his recovery over or is he the one in charge of it? Another trap we get into is trying to figure out why the addict is acting the way they do in order to justify behavior. Maybe in some way you would prefer to see his recent behavior due to the meds and not just what he is going through right now.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He has been clean since August 11, 2008.

He goes to NA meetings almost daily, has a sponsor and is working on his steps. He also occasionally reads stories on KCI, but does not post.

He struggles with depression and motivation quite a bit.

He says that he doesn't know why he doesn't feel better. He thinks he should be feel better than he does at this point.

Now I think it is because of the meds he's taking.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interestingly enough, I first got clean/sober in 1986 before all this research was out on methamphetamines/dopamine and a whole lot of stuff.

It's often of the opinion that a good solid year of being clean/sober is needed, and then a diagnosis can accurately be made for any underlying psychiatric conditions.

I basically got 3 well-balanced meals, nutritious snacks, and fairly decent rest at the 30 day rehab I was in. No meds period. I had hell trying to sleep that first year. It did not kill me. I would sleep when I got tired enough. I still managed to work full-time and support myself and my daughter.

BTW, KCI is where I moderate at, and the gal who wrote the article I posted here is also a moderator there.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Forgot to add that lack of motivation was very common for me that first year. It takes time for the dopamine to replenish.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You also said in a prior post that he lays around watching tv all the time. The more you lay around and sleep the more you're going to loose your drive. Pain can also become worse from lethargy. Sometimes we have to force ourselves to get up and get moving around just to get that energy back. His body doesnt need much energy if he's not exerting himself. I saw this first hand when my son was on house arrest. He had no where to go and nothing to do and just bummed around all day or slept. By the end of the 6 weeks he was really depressed and had even less energy. I also agree that healthy food goes a very long way.

Does your husband have a job?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good suggestions about him discussing things with his doctor. I always find when there are lots of questions it does help to have 2 people there so between us we get the right info.

I also find physical exercise (nice walks, a run, an excillerating game of some sort - basketball, tennis.... a work out at the gym) immediately raises my spirits. (yup, it hits those brain pleasure zones) At my daughter's rehab they took them to the local gym 3 or 4 times a week and I remember her counselor strongly suggesting that this continue at discharge because she could tell without asking by my daughter's mood whether it was a gym day or not. Maybe that's something that would help both of you feel better?

Sounds like he is taking action to work on him...Hope you are being good to Wuzzled, too. Hugs
Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How long has your H been on his meds?
Some antidepressants can take up to 3 weeks to start working.

Also, although these drugs are working on specific recpetors eg dopamine type 2 (D2) and serotonin type 2 (5-HT2) receptors, there are several other dopamine and serotonin receptors subtypes....that will still be firing away.

I am sure the doctor knows what he is doing and will change them in time, if they do not appear to be effective. Some meds do not work for some people but you have to give them a chance to work!

Get him on some omega-3 oil, it has been linked to improving depression, although recent research is questioning it. If it doesnt help the depression, it is sure good for your skin!