Notices

will somebody help me please?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

will somebody help me please?

I am in trouble. I need help. I found this site by accident.
Ok, here goes, I'm 47, married almost 25 years. In fact I have a big party being thrown in our favor this weekend. I have 3 beautiiful kids. A son 20 with a great job.2 girls, 9 and 11 who are my everything.
My WIFE KNOWS EVERYTHING AND HAS STUCK WITH ME.

oK, I have issues. I'm diabetic for the last 15 years. Last year I came down with a sudden Rheumatoid condition that was debilitating. I lost work for 3 months. I'm a painter,and this condition shut me down at first.
I was in extreme pain. I ended up in the er several times. I was put on strong narcotics. Well I quickly abused everything given to me. Dilaudid, oxy, etc.
I was also put on a major prednisone dose.. Honestly that is the only thing that relieved my pain. I took the narcotics to get high.
They stopped working. I did research on the net and found poppy pods.
I tried them and thought I found bliss. Please never mess with this legal loophole of a narcotic! I used them for 1 year. I finally quit after 3 tries. Well
I won't even go into the wd process.But let me tell you it was hard AND RIVALS HEROIN..
Now I'm on temazepam. I need to quit for my family.
Plus alcohol is a problem.
I just feel like I am doomed.
Steve
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Steve. Take a look around the site and get to know the different forums. There are alot of them to help you with your issues. It's good you found us Steve. Welcome!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nope, you're not doomed. You have hope.

Welcome.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Steve, glad you found SR...it's helped me greatly. Sounds like you want to be healthy, its a great start man.
Post here often and get to know some folks, advice, venting and fellowship with like minded folks is a Godsend for your beginning recovery....talk to a Dr. too I think.

God bless ya, get sober, your worth it.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Steve)))

Welcome to SR!

You are, most definitely, not doomed. As Ken mentioned, there are several forums here..substance abuse, chronic pain, etc, and you are welcome in any of them. I read/post in several.

I have a good friend, here, who has RA and is a recovering addict. Read around the posts..this is a great site, with some wonderful, supportive people.

As far as quitting the temazepam and alcohol, I highly recommend talking with your doctor and being honest. Both of those can cause some serious problems if stopped abruptly. It's not always easy, being honest with our doctors, but it's the first step in reclaiming our lives.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you! I am in tears. I have to do this for my kids. They are everything to me.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steve,

Welcome to SR!

I also suggest talking to your dr. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

Try to not let yourself get overwhelmed and take things one step at a time.

Take a look around here and read and post.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Ditto on the check with your doctor thing.. we'll be here along the way Welcome!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Steve)))

While I understand wanting to do it for your kids, you really need to do this for YOU. You may not believe it right now, but you deserve this for YOU. We deserve a life, clean and sober, and when we get in recovery, not only do WE benefit, but so does everyone around us.

We have a tendency to beat ourselves up, focusing on how "bad" a person we are because of our using/drinking. We're not bad people...most of us are darned good people..we just have a disease of addiction. I've been in recovery for 2 years (crack addict) and I'm a better person BECAUSE of my addiction...I have way more compassion, and way more gratitude for even the simplest things in life, because I could have lost it all...almost did.

You've found a "safe place" where you will find out you have friends from all over the world. I read around on a lot of posts, and always find something I needed to "hear". It was such a huge relief, for me, to just realize I wasn't alone.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-24-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Welcome Steve!

Hang in there buddy you will get there.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Definately talk with your doctor about quitting alcohol and narcotics. Be safe when detoxing. Other than that, take it one day at a time and you can beat these addictions.

Welcome to the family!:ghug3
Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Steve,first off,glad to have you.
Second,it would be a great idea to do what several others here have suggested,go see a Dr ,asap, and be honest with him,so he can help you get off the stuff correctly.He can only help if you let him.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I found this site by accident
I don't think it was an accident that you found us, I see it as God doing for you what you could not do for yourself! I found SR when I had a little over 2 years in Recovery and I wish I would have found it 2 years earlier! I know what a huge help it has been to me in my Recovery. Just knowing that I am not alone, that there are people all over the world reading what I have posted, nodding their heads in agreement with the feelings that I have and no one judging me. I often tell my friends who are not addicts/alcoholics that I am so lucky, I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for a session with a psychologist, who sits there saying, "Uh huh, Uh huh, ok, times up. That will be $75.00" lol

have a good friend, here, who has RA and is a recovering addict.
This would be me! I also have RA and Lupus, so I know what you are talking about when you say the word pain. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago, so the last 3 years or so that I was using, I had these diseases as well. I understand what you mean about the Prednisone being the biggest thing that helps with the pain. But then, Prednisone has so many negative side effects that we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Check out the Pain Management and Recovery Forum, it's for people, "like us" who have issues with addiction and pain management concerns. I just recently bought a book called, "Pain-Free Living for Drug-Free People." I am finishing up one book before I dive into this one. With RA, we are looking at a lifetime of pain and with being addicts, we need to find other ways to deal with pain.

Please, read, read, read, share what you are comfortable sharing and know that we do understand how you feel. But please know, it's not hopeless, even though you may feel like it is right now. I used for 32 years, was addicted and seriously abused opiates and alcohol for 25 years. If I can do it, you can too. We're here for you. If you have any questions, need to vent . . . feel free to send me a PM.

Again, welcome and God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Steve! You will find a lot of amazing support here! You CAN DO THIS!

"I'm a better person BECAUSE of my addiction...I have way more compassion, and way more gratitude for even the simplest things in life, because I could have lost it all...almost did."

Absolutely spot on Impurrfect! I, too, am grateful for my alcoholism. Recovery has shown me a way of life that I would have totally missed if it weren't for my addiction.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
User

Welcome to SR! I don't yet have any words of wisdom, as I'm a newbie trying to find my own way out of the hell I've created for myself, but I can tell you that this is a wonderful, warm community full of support, night and day. Look how quickly so many people jumped in to welcome you & offer words of encouragement and advice. Feels nice, huh?

Best wishes in your recovery & I hope you find the support you need!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Steve, just wanted to say hey and welcome.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hey Steve....

First..... I'm praying...:praying

Next, Keep showing up here cuz their are so many who can relate to YOU!!!

I feel you!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Steve,

This is a wonderful place of caring and understanding.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Steve!

You have a chance to begin a wonderful journey, all journeys begin with a single step you have already taken that first step....... you have asked for help! A damn tough thing to do for many people, for most alcoholics and addicts even tougher, but you have done it!

Step 2 is to see a doctor and be TOTALLY HONEST about the drugs and the alcohol, follow your doctors suggestions, if you are HONEST with the doctor the doctor can help you.

Now once you are clean and sober the hardest part of the journet begins.......... staying that way!

You have recieved some great advice, just let me add to leave no stone unturned in your recovery journey, know that you are not alone in this trek, you have the folks here at SR as well as other recovery programs that can help you on this trip.

I am an alcoholic and found the solution to my alcoholism in AA, in AA I have found not only sobriety, but a wonderful new way to live life on lifes terms one day at a time free of the bonds of alcoholism!

Just be patient, keep in mind that you did not reach where you are at now in a week or 2 as a result please do not expect recovery to happen over night, just trust us that it will come with time and work on your part, it is so worth it!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

wow, thanks everybody for such uplifting words. Last night was rough.
I have to get my act together and soon.

I know I can do it. For years my thing was healthy living,weight lifting, eating right and man I felt good back then. But I slipped away from that lifestyle and found it was all to easy to sit around and get drunk and high.

Out of all the drugs I have done I think alcohol is my biggest problem. You have to go out and score and /or con the docs for drugs. But alcohol is just a quick drive to the store and seems every social event in my family revolves around drinking. Big family, lot of brother inlaws and all love to drink. SHOT AFTER SHOT is all we do!

Yeah I have to do it for myself. I watched my brother die a horrible way. He was a crack head and diabetic. He lost both eyes and his kidneys stopped working by the time he was 30. Never once stopped his addiction to crack though. He died of a stroke at 35 after a big night of crack.
I used to get so angry at him as I was healthy then and could not understand why he was killing himself slowly. I tried many times to help him. I took him and his family in to live with my family to try and help. But he just never wanted to stop.
Now I find I have become just like him and I'm slowly killing myself.
Time to stop this insanity and get my life back.
Thankyou to everybody who took time to respond to me, I really appreciate it.
Steve