Notices

33 days of opiates and im struggling with cravings

Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

33 days of opiates and im struggling with cravings

Hey guys i wasent really struggling with the cravings the first month. But now it is starting to kick in. Just wondering if you guys have any input on what is good to do. Anxiety is pretty bad to, not to deppressed anymore, just bad bad anxiety.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Isis, I am 4 yrs clean from opiates. Sounds to me like your having delayed withdrawal symptoms. I'm not a doctor, so I'm just giving my opinion. I reccomend chamomile tea, hot baths, exercise, and keep your mind busy. All of those things will help with the anxiety, and what ever other symptoms you might be having. Whatever you do, don't pick up, and dont use. Eventually you will stop craving the opiates. The disease is just trying to stay alive. It's up to you to fight it. Maybe you should see a drug counselor, or addiction therapist. Hang in there. This too shall pass, as my mother used to say. God Bless You, hold on. I did it, and if I can do it, anyone can.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am usually good the first month too.
I have to put a plan in place. Make sure I have someone to tell on myself to if I get froggy.
I pretty much white knuckle it most times. Which isnt good.
Probably why I always relapse.
But get a sober network of some kind.
Find things to get your mind on something else.
Do anything to divert your attention elsewhere.
And Dont Give In!! No matter what!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I use the 12 steps to manage anxiety.

Especially the 3rd step where I make the decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understand him.

I still have periods of anxiety... but it has become manageable.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

My DOC was also opiates, I have 3 years and 8 months in Recovery. I think anxiety is normal at this stage. Our DOC literally numbed all of our emotions and now, yours are just basically starting to be good and awake. And also, your disease is pretty ticked right now that you aren't feeding it.

As Angelic said, keep telling yourself, "This Too Shall Pass" If I had a dollar for everytime I've had to remind myself of that, I'd be able to buy an island! Seriously, none of our feelings are forever, just remember that.

Whatever you do, when you begin to feel anxious, do something to get your mind off of it. Thinking about the situation or just the feeling in general will only feed it and make it stronger. Power walks, as I call them, take a hot shower or bath, if you like working out, that's another good idea, the Serenity Prayer . . .

I also, journal. When I first got clean and sober, I would write quite a bit. This also helped me to identify what was going on in my life when anxiety suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks.

Keep posting, share as much as you are comfortable with and remember, This Too Shall Pass.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-23-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad you're here and seeking support.

Early sobriety is not easy, so I hope you keep reading and posting.