Notices

Overwhelmed but feeling Ok

Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overwhelmed but feeling Ok

Hi all,

Day 4.

You know how you put off everything when you drink, well I'm getting hit by all directions. Kids, wife, work, church, mom, dad, etc... This was all there while I was drinking, but I never realized all that I was needed in all the categories.

I'm going to sit down tonight, with a glass of hot tea, and start prioritizing. First I want to make sure I don't become a workaholic. That would be just as bad.

How have yall taking care of the responsibilities that the alcohol was masking?

Dave

BTW, I can't send messages to my friends until I have over 25 posts. Wait, I'll get there.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tuco,

Good for you for recognizing that you're getting overwhelmed and that you're taking time to stop and make a list. I really find it helpful to do that when I'm overwhelmed. Somehow the process of writing things down, seems to calm me and make things more manageable.

And, remember to be patient with yourself.

PS You can send Private Messages after 5 posts.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Oh how I know that feeling.
I always get really overwhelmed and end up freasking out.
But after calming myself down and just pretty much taking it as it comes.

Prioritzing is good. Take it easy and dont try to do it all at once.
Patience is huge here. And acceptance that some things just cant be done right now.
Be easy on yourself.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I drank I had energy to do anything and everything...that doesn't mean I did it correctly though. I remember one time I decided to replace some tiles in my shower while I was drunk, I put the tiles up and then smeared on the grout-then I was tired and or passed out thinking "I'll just clean up the grout tomorrow" sheeesh if you've ever grouted anything you know it is not possible to clean up the next day...I finally sold the house partially to get away from that shower...

When I first got sober I had trouble having the desire to do anything I just wanted to sleep, making lists of things I needed and/or wanted to do helped me a lot.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have started making a weekly to-do list and I try to make sure I update at least 2-3 times a week. I also make sure I check things off as complete. Seeing that you have actually completed something makes you feel better. Just be realistic about how much you bite off each week. If I don't happen to get everything on my list done, I just move it to the next week. Good luck, Lynx
Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Took four days for the last hangover to leave!!

The fifth day, I called around to see where AA meetings were located!!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Dave, welcome to SR and congrats on your progress, have faith that it'll get much much better as your recovery progresses.

I think making lists and checking off your accomplishments is a great idea, I just happen to stink at making lists I do have a pretty strict recovery regimen though, I make sure I'm getting things done every day and congratulate myself on the achievements, big or small. I once heard a sponsor share "messy bed, messy head". Kinda silly, but I know what he meant. I keep my house in order and my side of the street swept clean. It keeps my conscience clear and my life fairly manageable.

Last edited by Astro; 03-23-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Tuco my friend...
I'm so proud of you for making it to day 4 with me.
I can't offer much advice, just my support.
Everyday I think about my peeps that started the same day I did and wonder how you guys are doing. Then I take that into my heart, carry it around as reminder that I want/need to hang in there for you guys/myself.
I'm so happy that your here, you give me the strength to go on. I hope I can do the same for you. If you need to talk...I'm here.
I hope what I said made sense...sometimes I have a hard getting out what I really mean across to others.
Thanks again,
Hugs of support coming your way :ghug3
XOXO
Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

When we were drinking, we never experienced being overwhelmed, as soon as that feeling started, we drank. . . as soon as any feeling started we drank.

Ah, lists. I am the list lady. Since I have been in Recovery, I think I am so organized almost to the point that I scare myself sometimes! lol My mind can begin to be so overwhelmed with things I need to do and for me, once I put it down on paper, it's the beginning of letting go of the feeling of being overwhelmed. It doesn't look so bad after all. Then, I prioritize things.

I make daily lists and weekly lists. I always make sure I put some simple things on my daily list each day, things I know I will more than likely do. I do this because after I check those things off, I see that I am making some progress.

Just Keep it Simple. Don't try to fix everything that has gotten out of whack since you began drinking. . . you will always let yourself down. It took time for our world to feel like it's in a huge mess, so it's going to take time to get things back in order.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The advice and openess of all yalls post, I just love. Thanks for the support.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tuco ,

Keep it simple .
Here is my list in general
1. Soberity , AA meetings , SR forum , 12 steps

2. Family
3. The Rest

Now you can see my priorities . First thing first . Number 1 is my soberity only . Not my job , not my pet and even not my family !
Make your own list in details . Al of my plans , dreams start ... with number one and then I can smile to the rest 6 .

your friend , witt
Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Keep it simple .
Here is my list in general
1. Soberity , AA meetings , SR forum , 12 steps

2. Family
3. The Rest

Now you can see my priorities . First thing first . Number 1 is my soberity only . Not my job , not my pet and even not my family !
Tuco I will second what Witt said!

Why? Well as I have been told, and as I have seen, the second we put one single thing ahead of our sobriety in our priorities is when the possibility of a relapse becomes a real possibility and then every single priority we had goes down the crapper when we wind up drunk.

BTW 4 days is awesome, congrats.