Notices

Has anyone been addicted to 2 substances?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone been addicted to 2 substances?

Hello,
I am an alcoholic but I also take tranquilizers(9 years). Should I try to get off alcohol first and then the tranqs. Has anyone gone through this successfully? I know I should see dr but I just want to know if anyone has been through this. Because I feel that even though I'm not drinking for a week(not true...only on day 1....again), I still have to take the other pills. So I fell like I'm only half way there. The scary part is that the withdrawl from tranquelizers is horrible..

:praying that the brain fog will lift someday

Stay sober my friends...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd suggest an honest talk with your doctor about wanting to quit drinking and pills. It can be done, tho it will be a little rough at first, but you can be clean and sober, one day at a time.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are nowhere near alone in this. It's called polysubstance abuse/dependence. I am well qualified for that description too. My drug of choice was simply "More", of what?, didn't matter so I long as I could "escape" feeling. It's good to want to stop but please consider the risk of seizure with the tranks/alcohol/barbs. They can be fatal. Get some professional help with your desire to get clean.... Wish you the best. You have come to a wonderful place for help, love, understanding.......... There is literally a "world" of people in various stages of recovery. You will be able to find many people of like mind should you desire......
Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would definitely recommend that you see a Doc. It is very dangerous to detox a single substance even without other substances being involved. Effects can be different person to person. Why not be much safer, much more comfortable and improve your chances of staying sober?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

eeerooo
I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addict, 177 days clean. I was addicted to both for more than 10 years before I surrendered and went to rehab. I'm living proof that it can be done, and YOU can do it also!
:praying
Old 03-22-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do talk to your dr and keep reading and posting.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is definitely possible to withdraw from both substances, one at a time. You will need to find a doctor who you can trust. Sadly, a lot of doctors will whisk you off tranquilizers too quickly, causing a lot of unneeded discomfort. Make sure that whomever is in charge of your detox is willing to come up with a reasonable taper schedule. Good luck
Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, I was addicted to Valium, alcohol, methadone and pot. Getting sober and clean was a one at a time job.

Talking to a dr as the others have sugested is good advice.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

alcohol and methamphetamine for me...
Old 03-22-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

l did beer and 10 oxazepam a day. Not very good for my memory.
It can be done, but you need medical attention.
And it is certainly not a stroll in the park.
But after a while you will see it is was worth the pain.
Good luck.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi - Benzos was one of three substances I was dependent on. You should see a doctor to help...

Thankfully, because I was taking short acting benzos the withdrawal wasn't bad for long. Don't do it alone... Besides a doc, a friend, SO, spouse, whatever to help scrape you off the ceiling ()helps alot.

You can do it, just don't go it alone...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies, I know you are all willing to help. I will try to get to a phys. It'll be hard because I just started a new job.

Did you have to stay off alcohol for a certain amount of time before tapering from the benzos? I am just afraid withdrawing from both at the same time. I know there is no easy way out and have to see for myself. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol and opiates here. Opiates are my DOC though. I quit drinking first and then got help for the opiates.

Talk to your doctor and keep posting.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, that's where it gets complicated. For me, since the benzos and alcohol both had calming effects, before I was successful, there was alot of back and forth.., but initially, I was trying it on my own.

You need help, the doctor for medical/prescription (maybe meds, maybe not....) assistance and someone you can talk to often to keep your focus and purpose. Know what to look for in case you need professional help... accurate, high quality knowledge will help keep your wits about you through the roller coaster.

I think one at a time has it's pros and cons... again, get professional advice. Maybe detox??? Don't laugh, it might be a good solution... I know you have a new job and all, but some things take priority... like your life.

Mark
Old 03-22-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcohol and nicotine.
Free alcohol for over two months, will soon work on the nicotine.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Also alchohol and nicotine for me havn't smoked in just under a year so im happy about that, now all i gotta do is beat this alchohol thing then im set
Old 03-22-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't think I know any drug abusers that do not drink alcohol.

You are not alone.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Alcohol...and if you count food....and gambling. I know the last two aren't substances, but I have problems with addiction....yes, even behavioral addiction. I could probably throw the internet on the list, too.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Liverpool 19

I thought i was addicted to both alcohol and coke but it was only alcohol.Did anyone else find they only got the urge for coke when they were drinking.