Thumbs up NJ meth bust called largest ever in Northeast

NJ meth bust called largest ever in Northeast

NJ meth bust called largest ever in Northeast
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Last updated: Tuesday December 2, 2008, 9:54 PM
BY PETER J. SAMPSON
NorthJersey.com
STAFF WRITER
A “targeted” stop of a tractor-trailer on Route 80 in West Paterson led to the largest seizure of the drug crystal meth ever recorded in the Northeast, federal and Passaic County authorities said.

Hidden among cartons of limes stacked in the truck were more than 165 pounds of crystal meth, or “ice,” a highly addictive form of methamphetamine that is typically produced in clandestine labs in Mexico, officials said.

The drugs — packed in plastic food storage containers and wrapped with black duct tape — are worth about $11 million and were believed to be headed to market in New Jersey and beyond, said Gerald P. McAleer, the head of the federal Drug Enforcement Administration in the state.

“This is the largest seizure of methamphetamine, not only in New Jersey, but in the entire Northeast,” McAleer said at a news conference in Newark, where the cache of drugs was on display. “We were prepared for the frigid weather and we have ‘de-iced’ this trafficking organization.”

The driver of the rig, Alberto Olguin, 38, is a member of a Mexican drug network, McAleer said. Olguin had been under investigation since September, when $1.3 million in cash was seized from him in Alabama, he said.

Olguin was traveling east on Route 80 late Monday morning when he was pulled over by Passaic County Sheriff’s officers in what McAleer said was a “targeted” stop. After a search yielded the drugs, Olguin was arrested on charges of possession with intent to distribute and was being held in the Passaic County Jail on $5 million bail, authorities said.

McAleer said investigators believe the drugs originated in Mexico, which produces about 80 percent of the methamphetamine consumed in the United States.

“The other 20 percent is manufactured domestically in small, toxic, mom-and-pop labs,” he said.

And while meth use has reached “epidemic” proportions on the West Coast, McAleer said the DEA has been bracing for its migration to the East.

“Here in New Jersey for the last two years, the DEA has been preparing the state and local law enforcement officers for the potential of methamphetamine making inroads in our state,” he said. As part of that effort, he said, the DEA has trained more than 1,000 first-responders in meth awareness and clandestine lab safety.

Working with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the DEA also has been cracking down on illegal shipments to Central America and Mexico of precursor chemicals used to manufacture the drug, he said.

“We have been preparing for this for a while,” said Passaic County Prosecutor James Avigliano, whose office will prosecute Olguin. “It hasn’t really hit us so far here in northern New Jersey, but through the screening of the DEA and the work of all the agencies, we’re getting ready for what you see here. And, thankfully, we were able to make this seizure and stop this shipment from hitting the streets of North Jersey.”

Meth is the most addictive drug on the market, McAleer said.

“Crystal meth, or ice, is to methamphetamine as crack is to cocaine,” McAleer added, noting the crystallized version is typically smoked to produce an immediate rush.

According to the DEA, methamphetamine is third only to alcohol and marijuana as the drug used most frequently in many Western and Midwestern states. It is a potent stimulant that produces a rush or high depending on the method of ingestion — smoking, injection or snorting. In animals, a single high dose of the drug has been shown to damage nerve terminals in the brain.

A 2004 national survey showed nearly 12 million Americans reported trying the drug and a 2005 survey by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention indicated that 6.2 percent of high school students reported using methamphetamine at some point in their lifetimes. This is down from 7.6 percent in 2003 and 9.8 percent in 2001.

Ellen Lovejoy, a spokeswoman for the state Division of Addiction Services said meth has not been “one of the major drugs of choice that we’re seeing in our treatment admissions.”

Meth use, including crystal meth, represents 1.3 percent of the admissions to treatment centers throughout the state this year – far behind many other drugs.

“It is something that we diligently watch and keep an eye out for, especially given the increases throughout the rest of the country,” she said.

E-mail: [email protected]
Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Does anyone watch the show DEA? I watched the episode today where they caught this guy. Hot Damn was that some crystal meth, I was laying down and exhausted, and wouldn't you know when they pulled out that crystal did my adrenaline start pumping!
LOL, The shards were, damn. Crazy.......

I had to think of all the addicts that were sitting there tweaking out just waiting for their next lines that weren't going to get any because of this bust.
They (the DEA) said that people, several would end up dying over this bust (it was from the Cartel).

Such a Thankful feeling I am not dependent on those mysterious little pieces of glass anymore, but boy even seeing them on TV can get my blood and adrenaline going..

I Love this show, but it does seem that it would put a lot of lives in jeopardy .

I would so LOVE to work for the DEA, they Kick Ass!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Such a Thankful feeling I am not dependent on those mysterious little pieces of glass anymore

I'm so thankful you aren't anymore too, Miss Done and that you share your ESH with all your adopted moms! :ghug3
Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I still remember the two times it took me to "Figure Out" I was really addicted to meth.

The first time, I prayed to God, I asked him if "HE thought" I was addicted to it, cause the red marks on my calender (the days I used) were starting to get really close together, but that didn't necessarily mean anything, did it? So what did He think??

That night on the way home from work, I was pulled over, thrown in the back of a police car, and my car searched. My car was clean and I was let go, I got clean after that.

*GOD NODS YES, MISS DONE* LOL

The next time, I didn't realize I was bad again, my dealer was waiting for "His Dealer" who was waiting for his dealer, lol, and here I was dying, so I was in my bed tearing my sheets apart and flipping my mattress apart (I have a loft bed)...... It finally hit me,
OMG.......... I'm like one of those girls in the movies.........
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first time, I prayed to God, I asked him if "HE thought" I was addicted to it, cause the red marks on my calender (the days I used) were starting to get really close together, but that didn't necessarily mean anything, did it? So what did He think??

That night on the way home from work, I was pulled over, thrown in the back of a police car, and my car searched. My car was clean and I was let go, I got clean after that.
Wow...that sure is bigger than a lightening bolt, lol.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by greeteachday View Post
Wow...that sure is bigger than a lightening bolt, lol.

Yea, and even better, I was still cutting at the time, so I had a towel full of blood in my car, and a guys paystub that I worked with, I had given him a ride home and he forgot it.

(the cop knew I was doing meth, he asked me a million times to give myself up)

he came back to the car and asked me what whose paystub that was, and then stood outside my car with his radio and my bloody towel, I was like
OMG, OMG, OMG, HE THINKS I KILLED THAT PERSON!

and I thought he was calling like the SWAT team or something.......

me being paranoid on meth, omg, I'm lucky I didn't have a heart attack.
I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life.
when he opened my trunk I started thinking, what if somehow
there is a dead body in my trunk that someone planted in there, lol
oh the things meth does to you.
it was terrrriibllleleeee

In the end I had to out myself to him about being a cutter show him my arm, omg (the worst humility you can go through as a cutter), and he had a heart to heart with me, said he'd let me go if I swore to get help. Said he has seen to many of me lost to this stuff.

So I did, got help, and got clean........... omg, that night

LOL
Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done_With_It View Post
So I did, got help, and got clean........... omg, that night

LOL
Ever think of trying to find that cop, to thank him for making a difference?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
Ever think of trying to find that cop, to thank him for making a difference?
Ha Ha, HE FOUND ME!

I was accidentally driving down a one way street in this parking lot about a year later and who do I almost run into ........

Officer ****, I remembered his name because it is my nieces name,
when I saw who it was, (and i was in the same area) so i knew it was
his area, I was like
OMG! OMG! OMG! Do you know who I am! lol, he was probably thinking,
Oh Good Gawddd, another hollywood wannabe celebrity, I was like,
Do you remember this one night alonnnnnnnnggg time ago,
and I went into the story......

I think I overwhelmed the hell out of him.....
Ha Ha Ha, I have that tendency sometimes.....

I gave him a hug, which I remembered after your not supposed to touch a cop, but he gave me one back, and told me to not drive down one way streets anymore, and told me he was very proud of me or something to that effect.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Oh yea btw, he had a daughter about my age, I think that is why he went soft on me.
I must have reminded him of her.

and yes (in answer to your question) I had thought of it before that, I was going to send him a card, but then didn't
because, I wasn't sure if he followed protocol and didn't know if he'd ever get it,
and didn't know how the other cops would react, etc...... didn't want to make his life worse.
knew if i went to the station I'd never find him. I always used to think about it though, or
of a way..