Will not leave me alone

Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will not leave me alone

ABF is out of alcohol, out of valium. The bottle shop is closed and he is in a world of pain. I have 2 cans hidden in the bottom of the fridge. He has been at me for the past hour, non stop. "i need a drink, i need a drink, i need a drink" how do i deal with this? I told him its his problem. he should have thought about that when i offered to take him to the doctor earlier to get a repeat for valium. Do i eventually give in like always and give him a can to relieve his pain or do i hold out and watch him go through imense pain??? bear in mind, ambulance already been out once today.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No need to reply. I have decided to be strong. at the most, i will call medical help if need be.

I can do this.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Could you get out of the house at all?
Could you go stay with a friend or family for a few nights?

You don't have to be strong on your own remember, you need others to help you be strong.

I have been in the situation where I have begged for more drink after a binge and it is a painful situation physically. It's not just begging for more drink cos you fancy a tipple, your body actualy seems to scream for it. Every nerve ending feels exposed. It is horrible.
However, my partner used to just get himself out of the way. He would go to a mates house or his sisters for the weekend. I eventually learnt that to avoid that hideous need another drink feeling was to not drink as much in the first place. It was a lonely hard lesson but I learnt it but I had to do it on my own.

Take care honey
xxxx
Old 03-21-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IS this after returning from the hospital because of an overdose? I'm confused on the time line here.

At any rate, he is responsible for his choices. If this is after his overdoes, wow, what does this tell you about his seriousness about seeking sobriety? If it was prior to his overdose, what does it tell about his seriousness about seeking sobriety?

From where I sit, it says he isn't.

But, what's important is what can you do. Remove yourself from the situation, temporarily for the evening to somewhere you can be safe. At least remove yourself from his immediate vicinity and go to another room. Set a boundary and be firm.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He belongs in the care of medical professionals, not you.
You are not able to provide the treatment he needs now or in the future, and it is too dangerous for him and for you.
I would call the ambulance and tell the ambos and him that I am no longer available to be there for him.

Putting you in this situation is not only unfair to you, it is down right insulting and disrespectful to the woman he is supposed to be in love with.

I am praying for you both,
God bless
Old 03-21-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're not a medical detox professional and you should not be taking on this task. Detoxing can be a dangerous time and he needs to be monitored. I know you feel you're doing the right thing, but seriously, you need to turn this over to people who are trained for this, in order not to hurt him or hurt yourself.

Just my two cents. "Being strong" doesn't even enter into it -- this is not your job to do.