Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

OT: I'd really appreciate hearing from folks here who have a job

Old 03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And I am not out canvassing for work or attempting to network on this forum. That is not what we're here for.

I'm here because I have a serious case of the "worries." And it's actually making me physically ill. Heck, dealing with a looney A seems like small potatoes compared to my worrying about getting a job; ANY job.

There are people from all over the country and the world who post on this board. I just want to get a feel for how good, or bad, it is where you live. Listening to the news or picking up a paper makes it sound as if the world is about to self-destruct. It also garners ratings and sells papers. I believe it was Mark Twain who said, "If you want to be uninformed, don't read a newspaper; if you want to be misinformed, read one."

Since I'm planning to move from an area with NO employment - approximately 30 percent unemployment here (and I'm probably being conservative) - I want to do my best to select an area or areas where companies are still hiring.

I want to alleviate some of my chronic worry, or at least have a "balanced" attitude as to what is going on out there in the REAL world. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi prod!

It's kinda strange but my career is like my recovery right now.....One Day At A Time. The construction industry in Phoenix has tanked big time so we're down to 1/10th the business and we let go of two salespeople and our cleaning crew. Your friend Astro is back to emptying the trash and scrubbing the toilets. Oh well, it's a job and I'm grateful for every minute that I'm employed.

By what I understand from my friends in the real estate market, they feel that the worst part passed in Dec.-Jan. and we're on a slow climb out. My work will be focused on remodels of foreclosures rather than the new custom home construction that was our lifeblood in the past. And until that time, there's the possibility that I'll go without a paycheck until the market turns around.

Scary times, but I do my best to live in the "now" rather than in fear.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
gns

Hi Prodigal,

I know what you mean. I am in healthcare and no layoffs here yet.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

It's bad

I just "bid" a job for 15k that was "bid" at 32k ten years ago

anyhow, the bids ten years ago were between 28-32k and I was 500 bux below the other bid, and I do tree work so they are 30-50 feet taller then they were 10 years ago, so the trees are twenty percent taller, prices are doubled, rent is higher, yet the average bid is half.

It's really bad, I'd say everything is down about 50%, my business is affected by everyone elses, the contractors aren't hiring, the realtors aren't hiring, the homeowners aren't hiring, the landscape architects aren't hiring etc.

I hear a LOT about the economy in meetings, either people getting laid off, being laid off, grateful to have a job etc, and that was in a wealthy area of the Bay Area which historically has been "recession proof"

It's no joke and it's not just something I see on TV any more, it's been having a profound impact on my life for the last 4 years, each year being harder then the last
Old 03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prodi, come to Colorado. We haven't been hit as hard as most other states, the people are nice, and we're getting a lot of $$ from the 'new energy economy'. Shameless plug for my state

But even in other places, the news doesn't tell the whole story. My brother lost his job in the auto industry and found another one within three weeks....in DETROIT, for heaven's sake. Same story with some of my friends here and in North Carolina and New York...they've lost jobs but found others almost right away, or at least as quick as they wanted to I think things are not great, for sure, but in a lot of places it's more like they're shifting around, you just have to look for opportunities.

I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box and my business went UP 20% last year with no extra marketing or anything. Not to jinx myself, but I'm wishing for a little bit of that recession slowdown...I'd like to goof off more.

So don't believe everything you hear out there...it truly does vary from place to place, industry to industry.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The DC area is a strange animal. It both bad and good at the same time. Many companies are cutting pay like mine did. Many are laying off. PT jobs are few and far between as my sons can testify to. But there are also a lot of companies that are hiring, including the one I work for (go make sense of that). This being the center of the Federal government, there are almsot always jobs in the government itself or with government contractors and right now there seems to be an upswing in at least the contracting jobs. I have friends who have been laid off and can't get an interview anywhere. I ahve friends who were laid off and got a job almost immediately. So much around here depends on what kind of job, what profession you are in.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate hearing the varied responses from the folks here who are in different careers. To be honest, I was so desperate at one point, I literally scrubed floors and toilets in a hair salon/day spa in a local strip center.

After nine weeks, they cut my hours from 35 hours a week to 20. And I was making a "whopping" $8.75/hour! I'm not above cleaning dirty toilets, emptying trash, or just about any other sort of job.

But I cannot make it on part-time hours. And Ago is right - people are making 1999 salaries nowadays - at least what I read on resume-posting discussion boards.

I will have my college degree in May. I have software skills that will be in the best shape I can get them because the local college offers intensive summer school courses in Windows XP 2007.

My major fear? I have not worked in 6.5 years! Why? For the last two I kept trying to get a job in this looney place!

Work is work. We all need to eat and have shelter and clothing. Other than that, I'm not adverse to keeping my 7-year-old car operative as long as possible.

Colorado, Arkansas, Nebraska ... no, sorry - NOT Alaska! But I'm pretty open-minded about where I land.

And thank very much to each of you for your insightful responses. I NEED to know what is happening in the real world of work!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sorry to hear about what a struggle it has been lately! I'm not going to be any help because I am a "mature" graduate student (oceanography and hydrogeology) and live on <16K per year. Once I'm through with this degree, I have no idea what will happen. I just wanted to stop by and offer some cyber support!!

Hugs and prayers to you as you continue the good fight!

HG
Old 03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a programmer/software consultant, and also self employed. My "jobs" are often done in my house, but the work could be anywhere in the USA, so I am not as geographically affected by this as some people are.

Also here locally, things are not as bad as elsewhere. I agree with Ago, prices have been pushed down.

I also think that if you think this economy is bad, you are too young to remember the Nixon/Carter years. We have it made compared to then.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Things are tough in a lot of places, for sure.... but don't believe ALL the doom and gloom you hear and read. I live in the Atlanta area and things are not that bad here as compared to some other parts of the country. I'm employed in consulting at one of the major technology companies and we're only doing minor cutbacks, and indeed will hire in certain high-demand skill areas.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I would say stay away from my area. (Hollywood/Los Angeles) not that you would want to come here anyway, , not many do.
the job market is horrible, the cost of living is horribly high, and the people
are stressed out beyond belief and a bit crazy.

I think CA in general is a tough place to find a job.

JMO..

Good Luck to you!

:ghug
Old 03-17-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

dgillz - Indeed I DO remember the Nixon/Carter era. Hey, I had to sit for two hours before work in a line at the gas station to fill up my tank. Odd license plate numbers filled up on odd days, even numbers on even days.

And I remember when a loaf of bread went up 30 cents in one week.

I also remember how the real estate market had tanked so bad in 1980, that developers had a rent-to-own option on houses, applying the monthly rent towards a downpayment!

Honey, I'm older than DIRT. But prior to this fiasco, I was young and had a steady employment history, great references, and I never, ever had a problem getting work. Heck, I was 27 and the world was my oyster.

Now all I've got is a stinky old oyster!

P.S. - Please ... no sexual innuendo (gross though it may seem) intended by my last comment ...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm older than dirt too and working on my degree. I get scared every time I start looking at job possibilities online. I'm praying once I start my practicums in the medical records department at the small community hospital in the town where I live, that might get my foot in the door for employment upon graduation. Sigh.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

We were at 700 people at one point in time. We now have 70

I've got 33 years and just enough time to be in the door maybe 10 people under me.

Wish you luck on your job search
Old 03-18-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Hi Prod,

I work for the government in the UK as a civil servant in finance, job security in this area is very good, I am applying for a new job as we speak.

From my understanding, certain industries are struggling while others are doing good, i.e. in the UK, accountants, health centres/exercise centres are doing well and memberships are up, debt collection, telecommunications, breweries pubs resturants, IT and electronics are industries that are on the up, but retail is down.

Economic downturn literally means that the flow of money is changing. Money has to flow in business otherwise, well we all know that one - they close up shop. However certain areas are a gaurentee for employment, i.e. in the UK we are crying out for teachers, nurses and doctors having to close the gap by employing people from abroad. Certain industries are benefitting from the room left behind from large companies who have dominated the scene, as a whole, the world is reconstructing itself. I see this period as a time of change and world growth, rather than a negativity.

Take a look at which industries are up on shares on wall street which is an indication of how the business is growing. These industries are most likely those who are recruiting.

I would also take advantage of your soon to have, new qualification and get yourself in with some Agency companies/employment agencies who will sell your CV to their clients on your behalf, they will be searching for a job for you without you having to, you can also upload your CV onto the net for this purpose too.

Good luck Prod!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 03-18-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

If you don't mind where you go... I'd try hopping on some of the job sites and see what's out there. I'd send resumes to anything that sounds interesting and move where you find work... rather than moving somewhere in order to find work.

I am signed up to receive job notice emails of openings in certain areas. There are ALWAYS jobs out there... if you are not tied down to a certain location...

Good luck!