Notices

Sobriety and loneliness

Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and loneliness

Hi all, I've been sober for 18 months and I rarely have a desire to drink which is a good thing; however, I miss the social aspect of getting together with people over drinks. At this point in my sobriety I can't stand being around alcohol sometimes just driving past a liquor store makes me sick to my stomach so I suspect the actual smell would be much worse. I realized when I stopped drinking that I really didn't have any friends just drinking buddies and they weren't any more interested in being around me sober than I was being around them drinking. Last weekend I was visiting with some neighbors while we all out walking our dogs and they started talking about going out for margaritas, I of course said I "had things to do" and couldn't join them--I then went home and felt very sad, not that I wanted to drink but that I wanted to be part of "the group".
Anyone else deal with this? How does one meet people that don't drink besides in AA?

J
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

volunteer work, church, health clubs, book clubs, library events, art events, hobby related groups if you're into anything like that..i mean, granted, some of the folks you meet in these places may be social drinkers, but at least these aren't drinking PLACES per se?

i understand it's a hard part of recovery, the lonliness that can come with it. but i've known several alcoholics who say they are never as alone as they are/were during the drinking times.

hugs, and keep posting here! k
Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Having a social drink with friends i do sometimes..its just my drink is NOT alcohol..
I also really enjoy going out for a meal with buddys who dont drink..

Im quite comfortable around booze..BUT ...it took some time before that happened.

My wife drinks and sometimes its in the house......no problem with alcohol just ME and alcohol.......i cant get drunk if i dont drink it.

When i went back to college quite late in life (40ish) i made loads of friends and it gave me a huge confidents boost as well...

yeah college that was a good one for making friends..
Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

I have met people at coffee shops, especially the ones hooked up with book stores. Some are actually people also quitting drinking. We sit and talk and joke just like you would at a bar. It is a great place to go.
I also know people at the gym. We talk there but don't go for coffee or anything.
Those are good suggestions from parentcovers too thanks.