12 reasons why more jail time is good for her...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 reasons why more jail time is good for her...

I haven't posted in a while because my addict (neice) has been doing some time in jail for probation violation and I've actually had some of the most peaceful time I have enjoyed in 6 years.

That said, she recently was served with a felony charge of evading an officer which could mean even more time behind bars.

Initially I was very sad. She was such a beautiful child and promising young woman with a bachelor's degree in psychology and a very good grade point average to boot. Until meth.

Then I started to think about it and came up with the following reasons it might be a good thing.

1. She won't get pregnant by her boyfriend while in there (I think he's a pathological liar and an addict)

2. She is working while in jail and actually likes it, so she's learning the value of real work

3. They enforce a schedule on her which is having a good effect on her and restoring her to sanity

4. She has a roof over her head and regular meals and I don't have to worry about her sleeping on the streets or at the house of the boyfriend (who lives with other addicts).

5. She has access to programs to help her like AA, viloence prevention, exercise classes, etc., and she uses them

6. She seems to be more interested in God these days and has grown in faith

7. Selfishly, I get to take care of her dog, that I love and don't want to give back anyway

8. My life is peaceful

9. I can visit if I want to - I know where she is at all times and unlike when she's using, she actually seems happy to see me.

10. She stays in touch with family when she's in jail, otherwise, we never hear from her.

11.She has time to think about her life and actions and it's harder to brush them under the rug

12. The economy is horrible right now and unemployment high, so if she's in a while longer, maybe by the time she gets out it will be better for her to get a job.

So, while I'm still really sad that she has done so much to hurt herself, there are a lot of reasons for me to believe that her HP is working in her life.

I guess the other thought I had was that I know that it takes at least a year of sobriety after using meth for a person's brain to "heal" (if it does), so more time in jail, means more time away from drugs and a higher liklihood that she might stay sober after she gets out.

Only time will tell.

thanks for listening - if you can think of any other reasons, I'd love to hear them.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can understand the mixed feelings. I have prayed, at times, that my own AD would get sent to jail because of the very same benefits it offers her and me.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Every day she is in jail is a day she is alive.

Everyday she is in jail is time for her to think of her actions and how to change them.

Everyday she is in jail it will impress upon her the price for her actions and hopefully help her not to make the same mistakes.

Everyday is a chance that she will become her old self.

Everyday is a chance she can either work on her degree or change majors.(She can do that there)

Everyday is a chance for you to enjoy a normal life without fear, worry, or pain caused by addiction.

This is a chance for you to become closer since she is working towards her own recovery. Also the chance for your own recovery.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I agree with everything. She is in the best place she can be.

**{TroubleD}

It's good to see you peaceful
Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like #8 :ghug2. It's good to see you taking better care of yourself.

Carasussia
:praying for you!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((TD)))

I, too, am glad to see you peaceful. She IS where she needs to be. I know I didn't particularly like being locked up, but it was exactly where I needed to be, to get where I am today.

Give the dog some extra TLC for me

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with all the reasons posted so far.

I always worry less when my Abrother is in jail. After so many years of struggling with his addiction, it is much safer than when he's in his cycle of using, on the street and in the hospital.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks to all from me and from one of my family members who often reads on this site - it helped both of us.

Hugs
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I totally agree with Amy I know that I didn't like being in prison either but i learned a lot got my GED and started working there myself. I learned what it was like to be a productive member of society. Now I enjoy getting things that I have earned not gotten because of what I got from someone for giving them the drugs. I appreciate what I have now and I am on my way to my masters degree. If I wouldn't have wound up in prison I would probably be dead by now or at least still using severely.

Hugzz
Schana