Notices

Hi everyone...

Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hi everyone...

After a failed start to my sobreity, (everyone was drinking around me, I gave in), I'm now ready. From this day forth- I will NEVER succumb to alcohol again. It's nearly ruined my life multiple times before, and apart from emptying my pockets of cash and pissing people off, I'm done with it.

I wish you all the best on your own personal journeys to battle the booze.
I myself am staying clear of anyone who drinks till I get back on my feet. (that includes my partner)
I look forward to sharing my experiences with others here.

Have a great day!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there sounds like a plan to me! Go for it:-)
Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Original.
I am on the same plan as you are. Started in January and gave my wife a letter that says as of that day I would never drink again.
As you did I wrote the NEVER in big printed letters.
So far so good. I am still in my bed.
Good luck. It is great to have someone here on the same plan as me.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks guys . It would be awsome if my fiance would quit with me, but she's adament that she still wants to drink... kinda sucks cos I love her to bits... don't know really just wanted to get that bit of anxeity out instead of keeping it in!

Yip, the plan is to see alcohol, and immediately run in the other direction!
I can't wait to remember every third night!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HI,

I am happy you made the choice to not drink anymore...Our forum shows sobriety can be a reality in your life...

First, you have made a decision not to drink anymore..This is a very important step, you are no longer in denial...

Grab onto all the support you can whether it be here, or outside support groups...

Welcome to SR, and keep posting, we are happy you found us...
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took me years to realise, and get to this point....

"I am an alcoholic"

And now that I can openly say it, there's a weight lifted off my back...
Thankyou, I'm looking forward to a sober life
Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are determined....

Are you planning on a local support program?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Sounds great. Welcome to SR.
Theres lots and lots of wonderful support and wisdom here.
Your off to a great start. Keep posting
Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Though I have tried to avoid the situation when possible, when I am with people who drink, I try to look past their drinking and really concentrate on the person.

I have found it interesting--now that I am on the non-drinking side of the table--how some people find it necessary to drink on every occasion: hey, that was my method of operation for 30 years!

I try to compare their drinking with other people's smoking or eating of food that I don't like--just something THEY do, not me.

Thanks for sharing: you can do this not-drinking for today.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm just making "I'm not drinking today" my foremost thought. Theres no plan to aim for a specific time, just day by day. Along with counselling, I'm going to kick the affliction for good. It is a bit scary realising that you'll never have a drink for the rest of your life, but it's also like embarking on an incredible journey, and embracing life, instead of running from it. For 8 years, I looked to the bottle for confidence, and all it did was hurt people along the way, moreso me I should imagine. Right now I'm training for the job of my dreams, and with a woman I truly love, and I refuse to let an addiction ruin it. The sobreity calculator is a great little space on the web too, visual progress is awsome when youre trying to battle something and feel so alone. I would like to thank everyone on this forum for just sharing, as sometimes we can feel so utterly alone, especially when everyone we know doesn't have a drinking problem, and especially when they're all drinking. I swear I'd have 4 days sober, had I found this forum last friday. My partner suggested that when I do drink, I drink light beer, because she wanted to have a few social drinks every now and then, which, really didn't help. We've talked now, and I've explained to her that I cannot social drink, it's like russian roulette after the 4th beer (approx). A little switch goes off inside and it's like a full blown mission to get absolutely obliterated. (at least that's my problem). I have too many good things right now that I refuse to give up, due to booze, so one day at a time, I'll battle the cravings. I don't have a local meeting plan, but I may look into it if I find that I really can't do it with the tools I have now.

The plan is to put the money I would have spent on drinking every week, get my bike liscence, and finally own my own Ironhead harley. Along with these forums, my partners support, and just sharing experiences with you guys, I'm determined to say goodbye to alcohol for good.

I also have to say, I've been having more fun lately when I haven't been drinking! I honestly wish you all the very best on your strive to stay off this readily available drink, that every other person in our lives seems to be able to control.

Thanks guys for just simply being here. You're awsome.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

How are things going now?
Hope you are still going strong.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hey mate, yeah things are good, and thanks for asking. Just been having a small problem with reguards to my partner still wanting to drink, but we've talked it through tonight, and are making headway, and more importantly understanding each other better.

I still haven't had a craving, even when my housemate and his ladyfriend had a few beers in front of me... annoying though it was as I'd asked him to refrain from drinking in the house when I'm there.. and he did. (that's what choked my goat)- but now I've realised that I can't expect other people not to drink around me from time to time, and am slowly getting used to the idea.

So far, it's been great, no embarrasing situations or blackouts, or even appologies. So much easier, and if I had a drink now, I'd feel guilty. I've had the old drinking dreams, and thought "****! what the hell was I thinking!" then woke up and realised it was a dream. Am I right to say that if you fear relapse with a vengence, you're well on your way? Just a thought...

How's it going with you?