Notices

Thank you

Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you

I had been sober for over three years and always viewed myself as someone who binge drinks when depressed, but not really a proper 'alcoholic' (I have no idea why - pride?) . . . Well, I just moved to Helsinki and completely fell apart. Ten days ago I thought I could be a normal drinker and yesterday I woke up in a dirty hotel, a shivering wreck.

Never had such a terrifying physical reaction - hadn't eaten in over three days, there was a shocking number of empty whiskey bottles, and I'd hardly slept. I had no idea how physically frightening this could be. Especially after three years without a drink - how could I get so bad so fast?

Never felt so alone or really discussed my problems with alcohol. And the trembling terrified me. Found this site after searching for withdrawal symptoms and I just want to thank everybody here - been reading it for hours and it's keeping me together right now.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there i've accepted i'm an alcoholic and proud of it! If i have one drink i would be in the next room googling am i an alcoholic, trying to find out how much alcoholics drink each day, comforting myself with the fact i dont have a drink as soon as i wake up so i can't be an alchie...all that **** i used to do. Just accept your an alchie and get help with it this time round, is a big problem for you today you think but give it a few months and a solid game plan and it will be a whole different world:-)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR.
This site is a great place for support so stick around.
If you get the urge to drink come here instead. It works for me.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rodchenko and welcome to SR! I'm glad you've found us here and are looking for information and help. This is a really great place to find hope, comfort, encouragement and support! Please keep reading and post when you're comfortable and you'll find all kinds of hope, encouragement and support. A lot of people here have been where you have and are. And once again welcome to the SR family!
Wes
Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and understanding. I relapsed a month ago after having over six months sober. I felt miserable and ashamed. I now have 30 days and going strong. You too can get sober again and stay sober. Just don't drink today.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

"Just don't drink today." - I'm tattooing that on the back of my hand!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. Now I'm just waiting this out and, in the meantime, wonder what I ought to do differently so this doesn't happen again. Really thought I made my peace with this three years ago...
Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, rodchenko! keep reaching out! k
Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Glad you found here
Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I found that no matter how long I stay clean. I always get worse evreytime I go back.
It doesnt get better in using. Not for me.
I am glad you found SR. I am glad we can help you today and hopefully many days to come.
I hope you find a way to discuss whats bothering you with people who can help you.
Keep posting and Welcome.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
I had been sober for over three years and always viewed myself as someone who binge drinks when depressed, but not really a proper 'alcoholic' (I have no idea why - pride?) . . . Well, I just moved to Helsinki and completely fell apart. Ten days ago I thought I could be a normal drinker and yesterday I woke up in a dirty hotel, a shivering wreck.

Never had such a terrifying physical reaction - hadn't eaten in over three days, there was a shocking number of empty whiskey bottles, and I'd hardly slept. I had no idea how physically frightening this could be. Especially after three years without a drink - how could I get so bad so fast?

Never felt so alone or really discussed my problems with alcohol. And the trembling terrified me. Found this site after searching for withdrawal symptoms and I just want to thank everybody here - been reading it for hours and it's keeping me together right now.

Thanks
Im glad you found us!
I know that was one thing I hated the most was not remembering big chunks of the night before! Or seeing a bruise on my body & thinking WTF?! Did I fall or something?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Glad you're here!!!! Thought I could drink again after 15 years, WRONG was worse than before. Just made it back. Thanks for helping me remember. Love ya, Donna
Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've found AA to be an awesome adventure in living sober...

Glad to know you survived that blackout binge.
Welcome to SR...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Here's your "official welcome mat" that we've set out for you. lol

I'm glad you found us, stick around, read, share as much as you are comfortable with and remember, someone's always here, we never close!

You mentioned wondering what you could do different this time, have you ever been to any AA Meetings? For me, AA, the Steps and the Fellowship of other alcoholics all working towards a common goal is a big reason that I am clean and sober today. SR is also a wonderful support system, but I think face to face help is necessary in order to work through the issues that lead you to drinking in the first place.

God Bless & Hope to see you around for a long time coming,
Judy
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Rodchenko.

If this can happen to you after 3 years, I realize how easily it can happen to me after one measly month.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you are here :ghug take care & stay with us