Notices

I want this day to be over.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want this day to be over.

So that I can start feeling better and start my sobriety and get help. I called in sick this morn. AGAIN and I know they are starting to notice something is just not right with me. This is a progressive disease. It gets worse and worse. Sometimes, I don't think it's a disease because it's my choice. People don't choose to have kidney disease it just happens so I have a hard time understanding alcoholism as a disease. But I do know one thing, that chemical is toxic in my body and it's taking me to the lowest level and I can't stand it anymore.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Make this your day to quit.
It may or may not be a disease but it is something that is causing you problems.
Drinking isn't worth having problems over so the solution to the problems is to quit it.
Good luck. :ghug3
Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I want to quit, I am ready to quit. It's been causing so much problems in my life. I am a better person when I am sober. I've been drinking for so many years, not everyday, but definitely every weekend. I never go more than 3 or 4 days without drinking. I am hurting emotionally and physically and I am scared. I think I am going to call the 1-800 to AA right now because I've got to get help as soon as possible.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is just how I felt the day I quit. The night before was a snow day and I got plowed (pun intended). I stayed home from work (again) and got myself to an AA meeting. Even though that was the only meeting I've gone to, I haven't drank since then. And my attendence at work is much better, as well as my attitude and concentration.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

That is a great idea. Maybe there is a meeting you can go to today. There is no time like the present.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been wondering that..

Has alcoholism every been proven as a disease over habit?

Anyone remember when Penn and Teller had that show ********? This was about 5 years ago, and at that time there was no actual factual science showing alcoholism a disease..

Is it just opinion?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SHawk25 View Post
I've been wondering that..

Has alcoholism every been proven as a disease over habit?

Anyone remember when Penn and Teller had that show ********? This was about 5 years ago, and at that time there was no actual factual science showing alcoholism a disease..

Is it just opinion?
How would one go about "proving" this to be a disease? Or not?

Habit? I'll buy that, but your post implies that is must be one or the other, that it cannot be both.

I know the AMA and BMA both call it a disease.

I disease does not have to be something you "catch" like the flu, nor does it have to be something you are born with. It is a dis-ease of the mind and body, treatable by abstinence from alcohol.

Call it opinion of you like, but I don't see that another round of this endless debate will help anyone.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You could read Under the Influence which explains it all pretty much:-)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

We have many threads on alcoholism being a disease or not!!

I just call it an allergy, drinking makes me break out in hand cuffs

You're so correct on alcohol being toxic.

I never tried to stop drinking by myself. I started attending AA.

What ever type of recovery you should choose, I'd advise not too delay. The longer we drink in life, the more we end up losing over our drinking
Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just know that it's killing me. I've been crying all day. I just called my sister-in-law who has 16 years of sobriety and was honest with her that I am an alcoholic. She gave me great advice. There is a meeting tonight at 8:00. I look terrible because of crying all day but I guess this is the time I should go and ask for help. It's written all over my face how this addiction has robbed my soul. I am helpless and slowing dying. I don't want to live like this. I want sobriety more than ever.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Call it opinion of you like, but I don't see that another round of this endless debate will help anyone.
Thanks dgillz. It can be whatever any given person wants it to be. The main thing is to help others get over it.

W2SN, do what you need to do to stop drinking. Sometimes it's better to just tell your employer what is going on. They may be willing to help. That's better than getting fired. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Heathen

Disease or not, it WILL kill you. I don't believe in the disease model, after much research and discussion, and finding out exactly HOW it was inducted by the AMA as such. HOWEVER.. I can't drink, it doesn't matter, disease or not, I was addicted to the stuff and I choose not to be anymore. Never did anything good for me anyways!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,

I feel your gut wrenching pain...I know the agony of wanting to be sober.

Grab onto all the support you can, whether it be here or outside help...We never have to be alone with our sorrow...So many people, truly want to help you.:ghug

I don't believe I would be here today if it were not for this forum, and my outside support..

You can do this...
Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are all correct whatever it is call it whatever you want. It's destroying me. Thanks for responding to me I really need you all. I am hurting so much. I am now surrending.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by want2stopnow View Post
So that I can start feeling better and start my sobriety and get help. I called in sick this morn. AGAIN and I know they are starting to notice something is just not right with me. This is a progressive disease. It gets worse and worse. Sometimes, I don't think it's a disease because it's my choice. People don't choose to have kidney disease it just happens so I have a hard time understanding alcoholism as a disease. But I do know one thing, that chemical is toxic in my body and it's taking me to the lowest level and I can't stand it anymore.
One day at a time!
I don't know how big a company you work for, and what your benefits are. But it may be an option to go to a dr & get a note explaining you need some time off, and you could go on a short term disablity or leave while you start your recovery process.
I wished I took this step, instead of getting fired for always being late, because I was always hung over.

My husbands friend actually did do this, He works for a Restaurant & they gave him 60 days of short term disability, I know he only got lke 70% of his pay, but at least he has a job to go back too.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I work for a small company. I've been there 11 years. I think they just put up with me b/c I've been there so long. I only have a HSA. But you are right, I need to get myself on the recovery path because my production at work is suffering and everything else in my life. I have to come first now because all I want to do right now is crawl under a rock and not come out for days. This is not worth it. This is not life. This is PURE HELL.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry, I wasn't looking to start a big debate.. It was just an honest question. I didn't know if there was a black and white answer or not..
Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

hI WANT2STOP
Surrendering was my first step to my stopping. I couldn't stop on my own, I needed help and I asked for it in the rooms of AA. They helped me get sober and stay sober A Day at a Time. Have faith We are all here to help you get through this. Love ya, Donna
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How I finally quit drinking...
I had to want to quit more than I wanted to drink.

I read a book...click below for excerpts

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I took that information....re connected to God and AA
and have not had another drink.

hope you too can find the joy of recovery...