Hi, I'm new

Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I feel kind of odd joining this forum, because my dad passed away 8 years ago, but for some reason, I've been thinking about him a lot, and I don't know why I was drawn here, but I was.

My dad became a hero to me (again) in 1976 when he achieved lasting sobriety. That was also the year that I was pregnant with my first child. A lot of emotions, I guess.

I'm not sure why it all hit me just now, but I think part of it is because I am a songwriter, and I wrote a song about his experiences (from my perspective) a few months ago, and I truly felt his hand on my shoulder as I was writing it.

This all sounds really weird, but maybe I just feel the need to be part of a community right now, and I am feeling really close to my dad and really, really miss him.

Anyway, I'm going to read a bunch of posts now, and I have to say, I'm glad that I found this place.

Shelly
Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Shelly. We're glad you're here, too.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Welcome.
I would like to see the song if you care to post it.
How great to have your dad as the inspiration.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shelly19 View Post
My dad became a hero to me (again) in 1976 when he achieved lasting sobriety.
Welcome, Shelly!

What a wonderful memory to have, to think back on about your father.

Perhaps you have some unfinished grieving, or other unfinished growth that is surfacing, now, and we hope you've found a place of love and support here at SR to be of service.

I'd love to see the song, too!

Hugs to you,

CLMI
Old 03-14-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Shelly! I'm sure you've found your way here for a reason, and if you grew up with your father while he was an active A, that could be reason enough. Living with an active A is like being exposed to radiation: if we don't take immediate steps to protect ourselves, we are likely to be injured. I'm glad he found sobriety, and that you hold good feelings about him. Just be prepared though, that if he was an A when you were little, you may have memories and feelings come up for you as you read our stories. Such thoughts would in no way invalidate what you feel now, but they would draw you deeper into yourself and bring opportunities for healing. Please feel free to post anytime and ask for help or comments.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
"Taking the risk to blossom"

Welcome Shelley -- I'm so glad that you found SR. I'm also glad that you can think of your father as your hero and that he found sobriety in his lifetime.

I too would love to hear the song you wrote. Music and song lyrics can be so healing and inspirational. Please share it with us if you choose.

Laurie