Notices

Detox day(s)

Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox day(s)

Hi all,
I went to my 1st AA meeting last night. Wow. Except I was still somewhat drunk when I went. I decided last night after the meeting that this is it for me. I got home, drank what i thought was the last of my beer (I found another this morning and dumped it).
I called in to work this morning (like I did yesterday except I drank all day) but I am absolutely not going to drink. Period. Problem is I am not feeling too good right now, physically. I read the posts on detoxing and that scared me enough to call my doctor and am waiting for a return call.
I went into the hospital to detox in August of 2008, stayed 100% sober for about 6 or 7 months and relapsed to the point of drinking every day again. I know that right now I am not nearly as sick as I was the first time, the first time I couldnt stop throwing up, sweats really really bad. This time I am freezing and I have some palpitations and naseaus.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR lionking.
It is always wise to see your doctor when detoxing.
Glad you are here as there is plenty of advice and support here.
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Talk to your doc, move forward, make a committment to this thing, it'll kick your a$$ again if you choose otherwise.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Hi all,
I went to my 1st AA meeting last night. Wow. Except I was still somewhat drunk when I went. I decided last night after the meeting that this is it for me. I got home, drank what i thought was the last of my beer (I found another this morning and dumped it).
I called in to work this morning (like I did yesterday except I drank all day) but I am absolutely not going to drink. Period. Problem is I am not feeling too good right now, physically. I read the posts on detoxing and that scared me enough to call my doctor and am waiting for a return call.
I went into the hospital to detox in August of 2008, stayed 100% sober for about 6 or 7 months and relapsed to the point of drinking every day again. I know that right now I am not nearly as sick as I was the first time, the first time I couldnt stop throwing up, sweats really really bad. This time I am freezing and I have some palpitations and naseaus.
Hi & Welcome!
I know this is not easy & a struggle every day!
I work in a bar & have seen how hard it is for some people that want to stop just cant. Most of my customers have DUIs & still cant stop coming up & drinking & driving home.

I know you will get lots of great advise about Detox here. All the Best!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on day 3 of detox and had the sweats, chills, and shakes, not pretty. I am on my own with this but initially came here to get info and have gotten so much support and so much good direction. It is best to see your Dr., that is what I was told first and foremost. I first had all of that the last day I was drinking and I thought it was the end but it scared me enough to tough it out. I went to my first meeting last night too...good for us!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredofTired View Post
I am on day 3 of detox and had the sweats, chills, and shakes, not pretty. I am on my own with this but initially came here to get info and have gotten so much support and so much good direction. It is best to see your Dr., that is what I was told first and foremost. I first had all of that the last day I was drinking and I thought it was the end but it scared me enough to tough it out. I went to my first meeting last night too...good for us!
You are going to feel so much better in a couple days!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Welcome to SR! I am glad you joined us. Detox definitely is the worst but it is such a great feeling when you are through it. I know I wasted a good few months because I didn't want to go through w/d which was ironic since I had very little w/d the second and last time. My first w/d was hell.

Please be safe and if your Doctor does not call you back the ER is always an option. Emergen-C (vitamin packets you put in water) really helped me since vitamins in capsules were making me more nauseous.

Hang in there... we are all pulling for you.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you get scared....please call 911 or get someone
to drive you to an ER. most ER doctors know how
to de tox you safely

Drink a lot of water...cut out caffeine...Gatorade is good
I could not keep food down for several days.

A lot of people come to an AA meeting when not
fully sober It's ok. You will be welcomed back.
I'm glad you went and I find meetings immensley helpful.

Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 03-14-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My detox, continued, back to day 1

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes. The story ended up that the doctor did call me back and said he would not help me do this at home - just too risky. He told me that until I could get to the ER, to drink some alcohol because he was worried about seizures. I was actually dissppointed that I HAD to drink but being me, i didnt just drink enough to feel better, i drank until i got to the ER. I went to the ER and was given ativan to take and an rx to bring home. The ER doctor told me that i did not need detox, i was the calmest, sanest person and in his words 'you are woman and I hear you roar'. All of this while I was technically drunk.....I still dont know what to make of this. But anyway, I am home as of last night, filled the ativan this morning and have gotten through until now............:I now officially have 24 hours!!!

wtf2
Old 03-14-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

good!!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for the update...
I do hope the next few days are smooth for you.

Please keep in touch...many of us have won over alcohol.