Notices

codeine abuse

Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

codeine abuse

hi
im new here and i would be grateful of some help,i am at the moment addicted to prescribed 30mls co codomal,i also take codeien phospahte and over the counter pills,i take on a good day 20+ pills a day,i have been doing for many yrs,before this is was addicted to other drugs and when i got off the other drugs i turned to alcohol,i stopped the alcohol(binges) about 3 yrs ago and since then i have been self medicating.
i need to stop,i need to stop now and i would be so grateful for any words of encouragement,i am going tohave to go cold turkey because the taper plan as already failed with me,i have prepared myself,i have paid my bills off for the next 4 wks,i have tied up all loose ends so that i can concentate fully on the c/t any stress wd only make me want to take the pills again,it seems that i cannot live in reality at all at the moment,i am so struggling and i am so afraid all of the time,i do not go over the doorstep,i dont answer my phone and i jump at the slightest thing. please help
x:praying
Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad that you found us!

Have you talked to your dr and asked for his advice as to how to get off the pills?

Hopefully others will be along who can give you more advice.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

You are definitely not alone. If you check out the substance abuse forum, I know of two people who have recently gone through the same thing....lostbutterfly (I think her thread is called codeinechroniclespart 2) and emmer. Both are in early recovery, but are great people and would love to share their ES&H (experience, strength & hope).

No matter what we are addicted to, there are a lot of people here with a lot of support.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Live it

I understand completely

Don't give up hope. I've been right where you are and felt exactly the things you've felt. Hopefully, I will never have to feel them again ... but let's just say that, for today, I don't have to.

You will need NA. REALLY - not just maybe, or if you feel like it, or if it seems worth it. Google the "NA Meeting Locator" online right now, and find at least 2 meetings to go to everyday. Go to them with a forced smile on your face, and throw yourself on the mercy of the people there when you arrive. You may find that become addicted to the meetings instead. Tell yourself, for day, this is better than being addicted to drugs. Over time, your relationship with the Fellowship and the meetings will change.

Do this now! It will be worth your time and you will be so glad that you did it.

Keep coming back and posting! Let us know what happens.

Your Friend in the Struggle,
Sugar xo
Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi guys
thankyou so much for your quick response,im not feeling too clever right now so im not going to ramble on,i have no concentration at all,i just wanted to say a big thankyou,at them noment i have builders in and out of my house,they say they will have finished by wednesday next week,i intend to start my c/t then,i am terrified,i have tried it before and it was hellish,so yes im frightened. finding you wonderful people had given me fresh hope that maybe i wont have to do this alone. i will keep you posted daily
once again....thankyou
much much love
c x
Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

plz plz help me

hi
i had the most awful night,i didnt sleep whilst 5 a.m and awoke at 8 a.m i took my codeine 4 30mls and they did nothing,my head felt like it ws going to explode,i couldnt breathe right and my stomached cramped like mad,im sure this was a panic attack but im not sure why they are coming now,i ususally only get them when i go out or i havent had my codeine.i havent even started to reduce yet so god help me when i start my c/t next wk,the tablets used to bring me some ease and help me sleep but they do neither now,im so worried that when i start my c/t i will die,i keep thinking that if i have some kind of shock from the lack of them and i die? my eyes are stuck together,i have thrush and my body aches all over,i keep thinking that my body is giving up on me,what is happening,why r the pills not working anymore,what will happen when i go c/t. i am fast running out of tablets and im too ill to do the chemist runs,i look and feel a mess.
i prayed so hard for help last night,over and over agian. plz help me,i dont know what to do,i am so alone and frightened.
my friend is a psychiatrist and she said that she wants to help me,she says that she has walked my rd before and it is not an easy walk,but the problem is she is off work at the moment,she has a drink problem and i never know what mood or frame of mind she is going to be in from one day to the next,she says that i wont get off these and stay off them until i have expressed my emotions,i dont know what to do.
i am so going to regret posting this but i am going to post it anyway,i am going to try the honest approach and see if that helps,i am ready to try anything now.
plz do not suggest doctors...i will not go,i cant beleive that he prescribed me these pills with no warning and he knows the nature of my addictive personality,i dont have a good relationship ship with him and i wont go.
i cant stop crying and i have no energy to get out of bed,plz someone tell me what to do,i want to be well again
i am currently taking 15 + of 30ml codeine a day,i have tried cold turkey b4 and it was hellish,im prepared for that hell again but im worried i will die doing it,plz advice,im lost
sister x:praying
Old 03-14-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Please see a doctor.. I think you'll find some guidance there.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only thing for you to do is to go the dr or ER.

Please seek help.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

woops sorry.. didn't get far enough down to read the "don't suggest a doctor piece".. however, that is all I can suggest.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi again,
well the last time i posted i was a real mess,i was terribly afraid,i just didnt know how i was going to get through it.
i just want to update anyone who is reading,i am now 72 hrs drug free, i have never been drug free since i was 15 yrs old,it as always been one addiction to another, i am now 41 yrs old and i am so tired of the whole dependency thing.i am dog tired of the fight.
i have stayed on this site daily and read and re read all the posts,they have helped enormously. i have been clear of valium for 3 months and all i have to get rid of now is the feeling of taking codeine again.
i have had a rough 3 days but i am feeling that there is some improvement this morning. i keep everything in the hr, i used to go AA and i am using the tools they gave me there to help me through this.
i am pleased with myself today. i am going to keep trying real hard to beat this.
i will beat it....this time!
sister xx
Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad your feeling better.
Great positive attitude. Keep it up.