Notices

Ready to be sober

Old 03-12-2009, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to be sober

Hi I am a 23 year old male from california. I started drinking and experimenting with drugs when I was 16. Went from drinking until I blacked out to using ecstacy every weekend. At 18 I had my own place with an ex girlfriend where and only used ecstacy occasionally but never drank. at 19 I found a new gf who was 22 at the time so I had alcohol back in my life , and it has been with me since then on a regular basis. We moved on to cocaine with friends (smoking it and doing lines) however I no longer have that problem.

We are still together and doing reasonably well except for the drinking that we have been doing on a daily basis. I am just tired of all the negativity it has brought in my life. I no longer have any desire to contact family members or friends, being content to just stay home and drink . It is so enticing to drink for me because I enjoy the way it amplifies (or so I think) the excitement and fun in life.

I know if I get sober I can have normal life events become interesting to me , because sometimes they just seem so bland without drinking as of now. I just feel like life has flown by and the only way to slow it down is to gain sobriety.

This is day 2 for me and am getting anxious already without it .
Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drain, I have been drinking tonight and I cringe on your post.

I just wrote on my dry-erase board "Join Life,", "Find Reality," "Live Life As You Can," and "You Are Worth It."

Drunk I am. But I know There is a better life to being sober as we were in early life. Like grade school. And possibly high school.

Sorry I cannot offer much, but I can understand. I've fed alcohol to my body from 20 to now at 41. I'm really, really on the edge to stop drinking for good this weekend. If you do such, you will live a SO MUCH BETTER life.

Think about it. Uh, drink, get drunk, do stupid things. Repeat. Not logical.

All I can say is a life without drugs or alcohol is a REAL life. But it often takes some VERY hard times to focus. Take it as you will.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TD, welcome to the family...

and so happy to hear your seeking a solution to the drinking and drugging problem...

after the DT anxiety wears off, and you have a booze free head...

try to start working on the thinking problem...

and good wishes to you nib!

a good recovery program that you are comfortable with, and works for you...
Old 03-13-2009, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

unfortunately I've had an emotion filled night with my gf bringing home beer and having a huge blowout. I drank once again even though I forced myself to gulp it down. I truly want to be sober and this is a a big let down for me. I have had a high stress night with arguments and telling her we need help. I think I've struck a chord bringing up her parents problems and hope that we can move forward positively because I'm honestly sick of the lifestyle I have.

Lots of tears shed , hopefully for something
Old 03-13-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR TimeDrain.
This may be the hardest thing you have ever felt you had to do.
I think that the first couple of weeks are indeed the hardest.
You need to find some other things to do that give you enjoyment and excitement.
I haven't gotten that far yet but I know that is what I also have to do.
I have just been hanging around here posting and reading about other people's stories so far.
This may help you also. It shows the progression of what drinking does from situations like yours where you just don't want to do it and are young still to people that are older and have lost jobs, marriages and houses from drinking and drugging.
You do not want to continue down that pass just for the excitement of drinking and drugging believe me.
If you want to quit come here and post and we can help.
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

What is your trigger? Possibly your GF?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Have you talked to your gf about your line of thinking here? Does she support you in your efforts to stop drinking?

One thing that helped me a lot in early sobriety was going to meetings. I'm not an AAer now, but in the first couple months being able to hang out with other sober kids (I'm your age) was invaluable. Have you looked into meetings at all? AA, NA, SMART, LifeRing... there's plenty of choices out there. Look for ones labeled Young People, if you can. It's so much easier to relate to other twenty-somethings.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, timedrain. i have a daughter around your age who is an alcoholic/addict. keep reaching out, lots of support here, k
Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

If you are ready to be sober, you are making the right choice. Now YOU have to do it.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

TD....Welcome to SR...

Do you have a plan for living sober?

I do hope you will begin again
Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

First of all, congratulations on 2 whole days! That is huge! Also, welcome to SR, it's a really helpful website and the people are great & supportive!

I appreciated your story, and could easily relate to the relationships you've found yourself in. If you want someone to chat with, feel free to private message me on here. Also, the chat link on this site is really great and allows you to instantly connect with people. Plus, every night at 9pm eastern (it'd be 6pm for you, I guess!) meetings are offered!

Take care & stay strong,
Rachel
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Heathen

So far the highest highs I have ever felt have happened when I'm sober. I would NEVER have said or thought that when I was using, but now.. wow.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
Have you talked to your gf about your line of thinking here? Does she support you in your efforts to stop drinking?

One thing that helped me a lot in early sobriety was going to meetings. I'm not an AAer now, but in the first couple months being able to hang out with other sober kids (I'm your age) was invaluable. Have you looked into meetings at all? AA, NA, SMART, LifeRing... there's plenty of choices out there. Look for ones labeled Young People, if you can. It's so much easier to relate to other twenty-somethings.
Honestly she has always been great for me and was the one who used to want to not live this lifestyle. She has always been an enabler for me on the otherhand though. Yesterday really threw me because she was the one who kept the cycle going which she has never done in the past. I guess we are both deep into this addiction . I think last night let her know I really don't want this anymore and think she will join me in trying to quit.

As for meetings that whole idea kinda freaks me out for some reason. I've become pretty introverted as it is , and don't really like meeting with people lol. I will try to convince myself that I need to go , I really need to start talking to somebody . I feel like I just keep everything inside me and it definitely wears me down after time, leading to drunken nightmare nights where I have driven before and that scares me.

Thanks everybody for the kind words.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeDrain View Post

I just feel like life has flown by and the only way to slow it down is to gain sobriety.

This is day 2 for me and am getting anxious already without it .
The bold text is so true...Much of my drinking career passed quickly, missing out on the association with my family and friends...AND so much more, it would take many pages to explain.

Congrats on day two...

You can do this!

Welcome to this great community of friends...:ghug2