Notices

I feel Like i just lost my best friend

Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I feel Like i just lost my best friend

Hey everyone..

This is the first time I have ever joined a support group like this and I am really excited there is somewhere I can turn for some much needed support any time I need it ...

I am a 32 year old girl and have been smoking pot every day since I was 18. I am finally deciding to quit for good. I quit once for 3 months about 2 years ago and went right back to smoking every day. I just recently lost my job and found myself smoking from 7 am to right before bed...

I have been telling myself that I don't need to quit "just slow down" but I dunno if that's gonna work anymore. I have gained about 40 pounds because it made me ravenous for food all the time and I do believe my mental and physical health is at a downward spiral.

I cried all day today. I miss it so much and don't know if I can really do it this time..I am scared that I am not going to enjoy life anymore..although I wasn't really before....I just miss it and need all the help I can get. I hope I can eventually stop thinking about it every second of the day..that scares me too...I don't have any in the house..the anxiety of not having any is overwhelming...

Thanks for listening...this does seem to help a bit
Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LoveSong,

Welcome!

I'm glad you have decided to stop smoking pot, good for you!

Your post reminded me of one of my favourite recovery books "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. It's a memoir by a young, high-functional alcoholic and her love affair with alcohol. And, it is so much like a love affair, and the longer you're an addict, the more important that 'love' becomes, because you lose everyone else.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well stay strong, I hope you can hang in there..

And yes just writing down your thoughts and feelings is a great way to release.. Works for me.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR.
It sounds like you want to quit and that is a good start.
I smoked pot for a long time on a daily basis and quit it about five years ago and am just getting around to quitting boozing now.
I remember well the feelings you are describing and I think you are feeling like I did just before I quit and that is that I am not really liking doing this anymore.
Just try to quit and you may find that you won't miss it as much as you think you will.
Good luck.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lovesong, i too am new to this forum. we are about the same age and sounds like we are very similar in our journey. Just a different drug, my drug of choice is cocaine. ive been sober for almost 70 days and i feel great but i can tell you this forum alone will not do it eve thou its great, you need to go to f2f AA or NA meetings and you need to find a sponsor and you probably need some sort of inpatient or outpatient treatment at first to wing you off. whatever you decide to do, good to have you here!!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Be proud of yourself Lovesong! This is a very difficult conclusion to come to. Of course you're miserable without it right now. I was like that for days after quitting alcohol - and even though you'll hear it many times, I promise it does get better. You won't stay in this state forever - you will feel happy and hopeful once again. I tried to shelter myself from life's problems and fears with alcohol, and it almost killed me. I had to learn to live all over again without it. Now I have joy in my life again, no more anesthesia. I'm so glad you found SR - it's helped to save my life.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, LoveSong! We're glad you're here. It may feel like you've lost a close friend, but you've gained dozens more. Hope you stick around for a while!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our 2 new members....

LoveSong!....

ArcyG...

Glad you are here with us
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome!
Oh YES you will enjoy life and have fun! But you are losing your best friend. That is okay because mj has not been your best friend. Be kind to yourself right now. Get yourself out of the house, change up your routine. It makes the first month easier. At least it did for me.
Keep posting. We know what you are going through.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR :ghug3 pull up a chair & stay a while
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome L76

try this angle...

i lost my job, and how the hell will i pay for the weed?

let alone the Twinkies!

never met a pot head yet that had real motivation, me included...

stop reading High Times, and read the Help Wanted

happy to hear your addressing the situation tho...

good wishes L76