Wet brain

Old 03-11-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wet brain

Hello. Can anyone tell me if they have had relatives (or self) who have 'overcome' alcohol demtia. I have a relative who is sufferning from it now (continually living in the past and repeatedly bringing up the same scenerios about things that are going on in her life that happened in high school). She has been in rehab for 1 month, first time in her 20-year addiction to alcohol, is in court-ordered state hospital care. She has a little girl whom we have TG over right now. Wondering if this woman can ever fully take care of herself and her daughter again. Thank you for your input and have a great day.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Metalskater,

My sister is end-stage and (very surprisingly) has come out of demented/psychotic state when detoxed long enough. She has other aspects of wet brain, however, that remain consistent. Her short-term memory is shot and her ability to reason is very poor. She also shows very, very poor judgment.

I think it varies from person to person.

Hope this helps.

Luka3
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi metalskater,

I am not a doctor, but just from what I have read, FULL recovery from wet brain happens in fewer than 20% of cases where it is treated promptly. Less, of course, if it's allowed to progress for a long time. My sister never fully recovered from it, it continued to impair her judgment and choices, and so eventually the disease took her.

There really is no answer to your question -- only time will tell. But I am glad your relative's little girl is in good hands. Take good care of yourself
Old 03-11-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto, I am not a doctor, but know several people who have worked wet brain wards...
The less it has progressed the more likely that it is at least partially reversible. A true wet brain (known as Korsakoff Syndrome) is someone who is almost totally unresponsive, the engine is still running but there is no one behind the wheel so to speak, a person in beginning stages (known as Wernicke) usually has what are called an impairment of executive functioning (critical reasoning, memory, ability to use logic, etc.). Those cases are more frequently reversible or at the very least the person is brought around somewhat as opposed to the full wet brain, who is permanently gone...
Hope some of that helps...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, alcoholism is a progressive disease. Even when a person stops drinking, the disease still progresses. Some of the side-effects do lessen over time, or may completely disappear. Dementia is one aspect that I'm dealing with right now. It's extremely frustrating.

"...over any considerable period, we get worse, never better..."
Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How long from onset of wernicke's is the onset of the next stage of it (korsakoff's psychosis?) Does anyone have any information? My friend has had wernicke's for about three years so far and is still at work and functioning in daily life. He drinks daily, excessively (for 15 years)

What is people's experience with the timeline of Wernicke's/Korsakoffs?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here's a link for you with some info:
Alcohol Dementia Alzheimer's Outreach

I don't know of any definitive timelines. There are so many variables involved, including the amount of alcohol ingested daily.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Unfortunately, alcoholism is a progressive disease. Even when a person stops drinking, the disease still progresses. Some of the side-effects do lessen over time, or may completely disappear. Dementia is one aspect that I'm dealing with right now. It's extremely frustrating.

"...over any considerable period, we get worse, never better..."
I think that statement about progression can be a bit misleading here. Yes, it is a progressive disease.

When I drank again after 4 years sober, not only did I pick up where I left off at, I rapidly progressed to the point as if I had been drinking that entire 4 years.

The body does have some amazing recuperative powers. That being said, there can be permanent irreversible damage, but something like alcohol-induced dementia doesn't progress (as if you're still drinking) after you've quit drinking to the best of my knowledge.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree that a timeline can't be given. I work with people at various stages of alcoholic dementia (not my only type of clients, though), and my exAH has it. The best I can do for them is figure out ways for them to set up their life so they can be as safe and independent as possible.

If you are worried about the child, and I would be, can someone close to her request a cognitive assessment prior to discharge to see if she can plan ahead, respond effectively to changes and emergencies, memory, etc.? Most state hospitals are able to set that up and provide recommendations for after discharge, which can include not regaining custody if their findings indicate that.