Notices

Have stopped drinking, now just want to eat!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NAP

Have stopped drinking, now just want to eat!

Halp! In lieu of drinking alcohol I am reaching for chips and chocolate, almost every single day. I get bad sugar cravings and just have the desire to stuff my face with anything that's around, esp chips and chocolate. Now that I think about it, I had food issues long before I started drinking. If I'm not eating I'm smoking a cigarette. Just stuffing I guess.

Does anyone share this experience and/or have any suggestions for me?

Thank you.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

I had the exact same cravings for sugar when I quit drinking. I was eating a box of chocolates a day. I quit processed sugar on February 17 and have been OS (obvious sweets) free since then thanks to the support of the OS group here at SR.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR! We're glad you found us here. And to me it seems that many people have sugar cravings after they quit drinking. So it's perfectly normal to be going through that as far as I know. When I quit drinking I wasn't craving sweets, but I was hungry all the time. And I'm guessing because when I would drink, I'd go weeks at a time just drinking and not eating. Other around here will be around eventually and be able to share their experiences with you as well. Once again, welcome to SR and glad to have you here!
Wes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, I kept lifesavers on hand. That lasted about 2 weeks for me.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i never ever eat sweets but since I stopped drinking 8 days ago, all I want is chocolate or sweets, means I will have to spend much more time at the gym
Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is so normal. I never used to eat sweet stuff. I hated it. Dessert was least favorite course. If someone told me to give up sugar for a year I would have been like sure no problem but now....whole new world. Chocolate all the time. Ice cream. Daily. In the beginning it was all the time then it tapered down to more normal and then it seemed to flare again. But the thing is that I used to put a lot of sugar in my body with alcohol and it just isn't getting it. So now it gets about a fraction. It definitely levels out. I actually lost weight while still indulging because I didn't have the booze calories and I am not one to lose weight easily. I find when I skip meals is when I get into trouble which lately I have been bad with. I am trying to eat often and well which I like doing and actually naturally tend to do but sometimes get out of habit. It keeps my blood sugar levels from fluctuating too much. Lots of fiber, protein, whole grains, cheese (because I live for cheese) and stuff like that every few hours so I don't get hungry. And then ice cream...

You might want to look into giving up the smoking. I know it is so freaking hard. I have given it up about 12 times now but right now I am smoke-free and I have read and it sort of makes sense (or sort of doesn't) that it makes it easier actually to quit both at the same time. Nicotine just sort of jogs cravings and makes you anxious, at least it did me.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its very common imo...and i can relate.

We all deal with it in different ways i guess...

Me.....after some time i started to get a balance and get concerned about some of the junk i was throwing down my neck...

I still have my moments with strawberry cheese cakes.....and at present i have a coke-cola thing going on.

I try to have lots of veg...lean meats...chicken etc.

Id keep the focus firmly on alcohol for now........

Me and booze mixed together creates misery for me and everyone close to me.

Me and strawberry cheese cake.....dont.

trucker.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely normal. I have nearly three weeks in and am doing a little better but still eating MUCH more than when I was drinking. At first a lot of junk but now I am trying to eat more fruits and veggies but I have to have something sweet everyday, and before I couldn't have cared less for anything sweet. I think that it's true that you are replacing the sugar in the alcohol with food and that's fine for now. I'm also trying to quit smoking and have cut down but can't give it up completely. I'm following the advice of others here who have told me the sugar cravings will ease up after a while and as long we aren't drinking we are doing fine. Anyway I'd rather be fat than drunk!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started a thread on SR back in January called "brownies". For the first two weeks after I quit drinking, I ate brownies, ice cream, cookies, and anything else that sounded good.

I think it's totally normal and will pass if you don't let it go too far.

Work on the booze thing now, that is at the present, the most important decision you can make. I personally would rather have a few weeks or a month of eating like crazy than years of drinking and not being able to get away from it.

Good luck my friend.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have the same problem! For the moment I haven't gained any weight, and if it keeps me from drinking, it's probably better for my health...at least I'm sure my liver processes sugar better
Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I actually gained considerable weight consuming only vodka and burning no calories. When I got sober and my appetite kicked in my appetite was ferocious. I didn't worry about it too much as I was staying sober.

I don't know what it is about sweets but it is like trying to take just one drink. It is hard to do and in the case of chocolate impossible for me. I bought a 1 pound bag of M&M's a couple of months ago just to have a few. I sucked up the whole bag in an hour!

What works for me goes against the grain of many. Eating complex carbohydrates and avoiding fats seems to give me the best sustained energy during the day. I lost 25 pounds in sobriety this way and remain lean without being uncomfortable.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I ate pounds and pounds of ju Jubes when i stopped drinking, never ate them before that. Some nights I would eat chips which i didn't eat before, then I quit smoking and would suck on Mentos. I used to buy 10 rolls at a time and go through them in no time.

I think it is about stuffing, but I say stuff away. Eat whatever your heart desires if it is comforting to you. It all subsides eventually. I can't look at a Ju Jube now, mch less eat one.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
NAP

Thanks for the tips guys. Getting outdoors also works for me, as my soft spot for eating is when I'm home alone sitting in front of the TV, hehehe.

Cheers!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's phsiological, get some blood work done, then read Under the Influence.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not

The hunger is not psychological; it is real. I recently just stopped drinking (March 30 2012) and beginning April 1 I was suddenly hungry. I am on the skinny side and I don't want to get large (I have a sister whom quite drinking and has gained massive weight) however, I can stand to gain 15 pounds. I discovered suddenly I LOVE Pet Tru-Moo chocolate milk but I am not craving cookies or candy. Just letting you all know, it isn't psychological at all. P.S. I think I'll go peel me a tater with salt, pepper and oleo.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR Lbradly!

Many of us have malnutrition as alcohol doesn't allow us to absorb some necessary vitamins and nutrients. My eating leveled at around 7 months, but I kinda overdid it and enjoyed eating things I hadn't indulged in while drinking. Everything in moderation. It is changing habits and behaviors. A learning experience!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Me too! Not the sweets, but mad hungry for junk food. Like fair kind of food. Pizza dog, grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich, and cereal every night. Up until a couple of weeks ago when I was drinking heavily every night, I would forget to eat dinner before I passed out. Hopefully these cravings will pass soon.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lbradly View Post
The hunger is not psychological; it is real.
Hehe he said physiological Lovely to meet you Lbradly xx

And yeah, it was the first thing I really felt connected to with everyone here. Weird. The fact that I'm a massive alcoholic didn't do it - that felt like everyone was waaaaaay ahead of me and all wise and sht.

But the chocolate? Everyone relates to that

If you're worried about the calories (and I wouldn't be. in fact i'm not) pineapple hits exactly the same spot for me. And red peppers.

Hell, dipped in chocolate

Have fun!

xx
Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello chocolate lovers!!!!

It's a little after 3 am and I'm thinking about chocolate, last night's left over yummy Thai food and some ice cream.

But out of all of the selections I mentioned, I am absolutely proud that Alcohol is NOT included nor that it will ever be.

Have a wonderful day chocolate loving friends!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi LAGuy, chocolate yes, but the great thing about not drinking is I enjoy food now. I can eat, and lose weight. Infact it is nearly lunchtime, so I think I will go for a curry at one of the cheap backstreet restaurants nearby

yum.....