one year without a cigarette! (OT a bit)

Old 03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

one year without a cigarette! (OT a bit)

Just wanted to let you all know, it's more than possible to take care of OURSELVES regardless of what our addict loved ones are doing or not doing.

I have been quit from cigarettes for 365 days!! My AD is still smoking crack far as I know, and I no longer have to smoke cigarettes to 'deal' with that!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Congratulations on taking good care of yourself.

I've been sick a lot this winter and have totally lost my desire to smoke and I am hoping to let that continue into quitting for good. You are an inspiration that I will remember.

Hugs
Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's awesome Sleepy! I've wanted to quit for quite sometime and kept waiting for the "right" time...no stress, drop 5 pounds I wanted for extra wiggle room in case I gained weight, no smokers around...whatever, you name it, I had the excuse. I finally decided that I was going to give myself a Valentine's Day gift of self care and just do it. I didn't quite make it totally smoke free the first 2 days, but I'm done now...it will be 3 weeks on Monday (and I even lost those 5 pounds 'cause running feels so much easier and more fun already!) I look forward to being like you and being able to say a full year.

Thanks for being so inspiring in your quit and in your recovery!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleepgoat,
Great Job!! Quitting smoking is just as bad as quitting any drug out there. Pat yourself big time on the back. I have been a social smoker for years, and I LOVE IT now I would go for long periods without smoking last time I quit for a year. Since that time I didn't smoke much, maybe a pack a week or two, but I quit again 3 weeks ago and boy do I miss it, sometimes I can't believe how hard it is not to light up. I quit because my addict son told me I was an addict also because I smoked, so I told him fine from this day on I'm not an addict. I do notice I am doing better workouts (jogging), but I will always miss it. I do know it is better for your health so I am putting my faith in that and waiting for the day I pass a smoker and I can say that stinks. LOL I have never been able to do that, even after a year of not smoking they still always smelled wonderful to me.....Keep with it. Congrats!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats sleepy....this is great!!! I quit cold turkey 3 years ago...it was so hard at first but I did it.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats, Sleepy! I also quit this year (well, last year actually!) and it's been 5 months now. And I was a HUGE smoker!! I just decided that I didn't like the smell, that I was 51 and wondered how long I actually DID think I was going to smoke, and that there just was no good day to quit. So I picked one that had no real meaning, just a Monday, you know? I had tried to quit last summer with Chantix, but it made me a little crazy and crying. So this past October I just picked a day and quit. Already I can say it's sooo much easier than the first couple months.

Congrats on a year! That is awesome.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!! I've battled cigarettes all my life. I was able to quit when pregnant and nursing with both my kids but sure enough started back up afterwards. I actually went almost two years when i had my daughter. I keep saying that once things settle down with AS i'll quit but i think i may be fooling myself looking for the right time. I think my doc will start yelling at me again now that things are settled - she cut me some slack when things were so crazy. I always found it hard if i had a drink but since i rarely drink at all anymore it might be easier for me now.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
"Taking the risk to blossom"

I quit smoking for 10 years and started again (dumb dumb dumb). Blamed it on the situation I was living in -- how's that any better than my AH blaming me for his addictions?????:wtf2

You are my inspiration -- I AM going to do it again and have cut down -- it will be soon!

CONGRATS on a great accomplishment!!!
Laurie
Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As an off again/on again smoker, I can appreciate the milestone.

I have a theory that cigarette smoking is the gateway to addiction/alcoholism or caring about someone who is addicted/alcoholic.

Is it possible that those who do not smoke and are not tolerent of those who smoke, might be less likely to meet others who smoke, who might be more prone to abusing other substances?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations sleepygoat! I'm a "quitter" too. I was a social smoker for years and years, always had to smoke on the smoke on the weekends when I was out with my girlfriends, and figured that since it was only on weekends, it didn't really count (ha, see, I can rationalize as well as anyone else!). I stopped completely when my niece came to live here because I didn't want her to ever see me smoke, or smell smoke on me. Seven months smoke-free now! Good for you... give yourself a treat! (and not a cigarette )
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Congratulations, Sleepy!!!
Why not come to the nicotine forum, and share your success with others who are struggling? Believe me, it would be welcomed!

Remember to keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

I remember when you were posting in days, then weeks, without a smoke.
Now a year! What a great milestone, it must feel wonderful to take a breath.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great to hear that its been a year! I just can't seem to put them down. Everytime I think about quitting I think I smoke more. My dad passed away from COPD and you would think I would have known better. My daughter hated it when she was little, but guess what she smokes too. Maybe one day I will be among the quitters!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Weird - I haven't been on here all weekend... decided yesterday I was going to quit somking- for no real reason, other than after my tooth extraction, Im not SUPPOSED to smoke, and I kept thinking.... "well if I take a drag real carefully"

How pathetic.... PLUS, I went sun morn. to get a pack..... 6.89 a pack now here... URGH.

Forget it. I just said, today I have to quit. SO, it's been 18 hrs without a cigg... it's getting harder!!!

Every few min, (like timing contractions, when I was giving birth, I actually take in a deep breath, my body is going NUTS) - I want one so.... sooooo.... sooooooo BAD!!

I keep thinking, eah, screw it, I'm out, I need to smoke, I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I stop myself,,, today IS THE DAY!

advice???
Love,
Cessy
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

oops.... thought I started my sentence by saying congrats first!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

cece (and anyone else who is trying to quit or thinking about it) - first of all try quitnet (on line support similar to here). The website saved my quit many a time. the support is amazing. then pick your weapon in terms of medication. Cold Turkey is the LEAST effective method of quitting smoking. It is effective only 2 % of the time. ALL other methods are much more effective. There are choices today - nicotine gum, patch, lozenge, or chantix. I have used the gum and patch (easier than cold turkey but still hard), and chantix (very helpful - no cravings, but I did get very depressed suddenly while on it and had to stop). The other valuable stat about quitting is that whatever method you use, it is at least TWICE as effective if you also use a support group, which goes right back to checking out quitnet. Google it! All cravings pass whether you smoke or not! if you don't smoke and weather the cravings, they come less and less often until not at all.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Sleepy)))

Congratulations!!!

And thanks for the advice!!!

Now, I need to TAKE your advice. The cost of cigarettes is going up, and I need to quit. Dad quit, years ago, and is one of those who drives me crazy. The last time I tried, I was VERY grumpy. This wouldn't be so bad, except that I wait tables, and it's not so easy to get a good tip when you're ready to snap everyone's head off!

I also didn't like that I was eating everything that wasn't nailed down. However, now I'm on meds for migraines and PTSD, and don't have much of an appetite, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'll check out the quitnet...thanks again!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy