Notices

How open are you with recovery?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

How open are you with recovery?

I know this has come up several times before. But I just want to know what others think.
As I am getting ready for treatment and possibly sober living. I am sure while there. And if I find a job while in sober living. I will need to be up front about my addiction and recovery.
I dont think I am comfortable with telling employers or strangers about my personal situaiton. Especially when it is hard narcotics like mine. Crack and heroin get quite a bit of a worst rap than alcohol or pot. You know what I mean. I am not down playing anyone or anything.

So really I guess what I am getting at is. If I do find a job while in sober living. I am most likely goin to have to make it known about my current status. I know it is something to be proud of. But eveyone doesnt see it that way.
Thx again.

LOL .. See what happens when an addict has too much time on their hands.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
ILOL .. See what happens when an addict has too much time on their hands.
Trish... you're a funny girl!

I don't have sound advice on this one. I think when the time comes.... you'll get some really good direction in what to say and what NOT to say and disclose. Sometimes, nothing is best. Sometimes, honesty and divulging info is best.

Some help I am, huh?! Too much time on my hands too! Did you ever listen to STYX? They've got an old classic "Too much time on my hands".... and it's just slippin' away.....slippin' away.

:ghug3:wtf2
Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

hmmm im not so sure about this one trish.

I can relate to how society attachs worse stigma to a heroin addict or a crack addict as opposed to a pill addict or alcoholic. To be honest, the jobs I have gotten since in recovery I have not told any of the employers about my past using days. It really is none of ther business, all they should be concerned about is whether I am doing a good job or not for them.

Some might tell me that I am not being completly honest in my recovery etc etc but I would rather let employers // co-workers get to know me without any pre-conceived notions // prejudices they might hold towards recovering addicts.

When you first go on the interview , feel out the situation . your an intelligent girl and im sure you will know whether it is wise to spill your entire history or not to the interviewer.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober

....As I am getting ready for treatment and possibly sober living. I am sure while there. And if I find a job while in sober living. I will need to be up front about my addiction and recovery.... If I do find a job while in sober living. I am most likely goin to have to make it known about my current status...

I think I'm missing something. Awesome that you are going for treatment. Just... awesome. Good for you. But what do you mean when you say, "possibly sober living?" You mean you are possibly going to be living sober? That seems like a strange way to put it. So then I think, "sober living" must be an institution or half-way house or something????

Sorry to be dense.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea..sober housing. Like a halfway house but not as much freedom. I dont know..Maybe I am jumpin the gun here. I havetn even gotten to treatment yet and I am gettin ahead of myself. I dont even know how sober living is run.
I was more meaning that some sober living houses require you to get a job. So if I am living in a sober house. Wont it make it difficult to keep my situaiton private?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Totally AWESOME Vid! TY!!!!

Is it any wonder I'm null and void????!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Wont it make it difficult to keep my situaiton private?
What I learned fairly early in my recovery, and yes I was living in a Sober Living House, and yes we were required to get jobs, was if they don't ask I don't tell.

The house mother gave me that bit of info. Most applications for employment do not ask if one has an addiction, so ..................................... don't supply the info freely, lol

Worked for me. And the fact that my address on my DL was different than the address I listed, if asked, I would say I recently moved and had not been to DMV yet to change the address on my license.

I did lie when asked about the 'gap' in my employment history by saying I was taking care of a 'sick' relative who has since passed. And in a way it wasn't a lie, as I was the sick one, and the sick one did pass, lol

Stay in today Trish. I think you are putting the cart before the horse, rofl but I do understand it. We (all of us recovering from addiction of one sort or another) seem to want to have our 'ducks in a row' so to speak.

So, and this is J M H O for right now concentrate on getting into rehab. Then while in rehab concentrate on what they are trying to teach you and grab onto the tools they are giving you. Then after maybe 2 weeks or so in rehab, start looking for a Sober Living Facility. This will give you time to get your list of questions together that you want to ask each Sober Living Facility you contact. ie rules, how much, job requirements, curfews, etc etc

And again, J M H O but I think you have made an EXCELLENT decision to go to rehab! A really GOOD decision for you and your future!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I bet the half-way house would have some support people to help guide you in terms of jobs and preparing for interviews, and the personal questions that might go along with them.

I am one of those people that feel like I've got nothing at all to be ashamed of. And yet, I still practice some discretion in terms of revealing my alcoholism and my bipolar. Like my Facebook page doesn't mention it. I never talk about it on there at all, ever.

But I have revealed both things to the gallery that sells my work because I know that they are empathetic and non-judgemental and it won't hurt my sales or anything.

So, I guess I think it's just dependant upon the situation. If the half-way house regularly is able to send people to a particular business for jobs, then you'd obviously be out of the closet right from the beginning. But another place, it might be different.

I think you're right that you're getting ahead of yourself, a little. Anxious, maybe? Reasonably so. But try to just go one step at a time, if you can.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by ex D-Boy View Post
To be honest, the jobs I have gotten since in recovery I have not told any of the employers about my past using days. It really is none of ther business, all they should be concerned about is whether I am doing a good job or not for them.
Trish, I'd have to agree with ex and laurie on this one. If they don't ask, don't tell, it's your business only.

Early sobriety was a different situation for me. My boss was my drinking buddy, I work for a very small company and we're like family, so when I crashed and burned they stuck by my side and have supported me all the way through my recovery.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Although you have nothing to be ashamed of, I thinks sometimes its good for us to be quiet, we dont need to tell people all of our past. Unless your potential employer asks you then I would be inclined to say nothing. Let them judge your abilty to do the job, not for some past addiction... I hope it works out.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

have you been arrested and convicted of a drug felony?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Trish. Good thread (as usual)

When I lived in a half way house about 10 years ago we were required to get a job. They didn't ask and I was not comfortable telling the. My co-workers didn't know that I lived in a halfway house.

I think I would be more honest about it now. Not that I am living in a halfway house. But I am pretty open about being in recovery. But always. It really depends on the situation.

Many people still think of addiction as a moral issue so that makes it a little more difficult.

Remember.......To thine own self be true!

Love ya girly!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Looking at the whole picture may be a little premature, however, it never fails to look ahead enough to prepare yourself for what lies ahead. The immediate concern is getting into rehab, which will provide the support you need to branch out from there, when the time is right.

As far as personal disclosure is concerned, I've always treated my problem with discretion, at least as much as possible. I disclose my alcoholism only on a "need to know" basis. My doctor, family, friends all know, however many business associates do not, for they are strictly business associates. It is a personal decision, and I'm sure you'll determine the best approach for yourself once your mind clears abit more.

You choice to seek help at rehab and with SR is a great start to a new you, and a promising future. Congrats on your decision and I wish you well as you do what is necessary to achieve your goals, which I've discovered are attainable when my head is not clouded by alcohol. Otherwise, they are just pipe-dreams.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a few drug related charges. None convicitons except an attempted purchase of cocaine back in early 90's. I have a strong arm robbery from 2002 that haunts me everytime I apply anywhere tho.
Thats more of what I was looking for. Like having a sober houses address and people knowing where you live and stuff like that. Alot of the sober houses where I will be are known for the address that they are at.
Anyway..I am getting ahead of myself. One thing that can be said about this addict. I will get a job and like oto work. Seems to always be a concern for me doesnt it?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I'd be as honest as I needed to be and not a jot more.

Totally just your own business as far as I can see, if you go about wearing your recovery like a badge its just something that makes you an easy target for folks.

I'd be very cautious about who you tell and if you don't need to, don't.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I don't have any experience in seeking a job while in recovery but I can tell you that I'm taking an online class that requires a huge amount of message board participation, and one of the people has been quite open about living in an Oxford House, and she is definitely one of the smartest, interesting people on the board. I don't think anyone judges her situation because she seems so honest and unapologetic about needing to do what she needs to do. If anything, she has more respect from others. I also met a guy in an AA group meeting I attended last month (I only attended 3) who is in an Oxford House and he is being considered for a pretty good job that he will hear about tomorrow. So, I think that with anything, if you're a straight-forward person who doesn't come across all shifty-eyed but who can look someone right in the eye and say "I'm a recovered ____" it will give people more confidence in you than if you try to cover up the truth. Sure, there may be some who are prejudiced about it, but frankly, would you want to deal with them anyway? Good luck with everything!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i flipped through some of the awesome input here. my advice- its like someone asking you something that is no where near their business. i would say nothing at all- just clean up and get straight (like i am trying hard to do). if you have something on police record its your call- some questions are illegal.. if you kick butt at the job i dont think they would give a crap if you have a past. 99% of people do anyway.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here Trish. You are jumping the gun a bit, but it's good to look ahead and consider issues. I agree that I would not say anything about my addiction unless I was asked specifically.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((Trish))) - I didn't have a choice, on my job. I was in a diversion center (in custody, but allowed to work) when I was hired. EVERYONE where I work knows my history...I relapsed while still working there. I wasn't allowed to continue working at the same restaurant, but I work in the same chain, at another restaurant 4 miles down the road, so everyone still knows.

I've made the best of it. I'm honest about it, even make jokes about some of it, because I've got a pretty good sense of humor. I doubt it would be the same, if I worked in a different environment, but it works for me.

I think if the truth comes out, our attitude goes a long way in how people treat us about it.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy