Notices

well I am going to do it- Question on detox

Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

well I am going to do it- Question on detox

I am going to detox. what in the world can I expect. the main questions:
how long do i have to take off work- i have a family and a job- but just got informed our office is closing- great..... maybe that is my window to do this. going to sell out i guess..
how long will i feel significant effects?
i drink 6-18 beers a day depending on the day. recently drank a pint of whiskey with a friend (along with the beer) which almost felt like it killed me.
any help would be great.
I just dont know where to turn.
Dedubya
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi dedubya!

Good to see you again! When I went to rehab, detox lasted four days. I was given some meds to cope with the withdrawals during that time. I think it was librium and then something to help with sleep. After that, I was transfered to the rehab section. I was only given meds prescribed to me for other conditions. Nothing mood altering.

The worst was over in a week. If you can find the time for a full rehab, I really recommend it. I haven't done out-patient treatment so I can't comment but for me being in a safe environment was important.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Love,

Lenina
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You need to talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol. It can be very dangerous.

I think you will effects of withdrawl for several days and likely have trouble sleeping at first. You should try to drink lots of fluids and eat well.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This might help:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks

ok- i know its probably going to kill me (figuratively) for a bit. but Lenina what do you mean full rehab- i can handle 4 days off work someway or another- but what does that mean? i plan to go to psychologist every week to stay on track- this is totally new to me and i am in unchartered waters.....
Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

dedubya,

I was thinking an inpatient rehab, for 21 or 28 days. I did 28 and I really believe it saved my life and sanity. It taught me a lot about how to live without alcohol. It gave me a safe place to be after detoxing. Detoxing got my physical side dealt with and rehab taught me how to continue to heal my mind.

I'm not a good writer so I hope this explains it. If not, please ask more questions! I'm bound to get it right sometime!

Love,

Lenina
Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Medically supervised withdrawal is a good idea. After your body is rid of the alcohol, your mind will need some rearranging. AA meetings or another recovery program can be very helpful.

:ghug3
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks again- looks like i need a month. o well. that will be a trip. i have been doing alcohol and drugs (no drugs in many years) since my teens so talking about a re-wiring. whoa.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((((dedubya)))

Take the month! It's worth it. I am so glad I did. I have a lot of things I regret doing but going to rehab has never been one of them. I wish I would have done it sooner!

Love,

Lenina
Old 03-04-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks L

maybe I will- probably will. you have such a positive vibe. i go to venice (washington blvd) quite a bit so maybe we have something in common. anyway thanks for caring and i will see if my insurance will cover it. thats a long time....need to get fixed though.
D
Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the length of time in a rehab is not necessarily the point. not to discount what lenina said. that's not my intention. i've seen first hand that whether it's four days, a month, or sixty days the main thing is that after the alcohol is out of your system you FOLLOW THROUGH. it dosn't - it can't - stop there. as least said above, AA and/or a good out-patient program is essential to you STAYING sober. rehab will GET you sober but it won't keep you going - in and of itself. please, when you've completed your rehab, get yourself going in AA and if they have an outpaient program through the rehab take it. i'm sure there's a way to fit it's schedule and your work schedule together. besides, that extra help will keep you a bit busy which is a good thing, in moderation of course. my best wishes for your success and recovery throughout your life. we'll all rootin for ya and proud of you for making this happen for yourself.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I work in a detox unit and what i have found is that people detox differently depending on how much and for how long they have been drinking. It is imperative that you seek medical help to detox you. Alcohol is a depressant and is the most dangerous to come off because of the risk of heart attack and seizures. Benzos as we all know are the "nerve pills" are also a depressant and dangerous to come off cold turkey. Detoxing is the easy part- STAYING off is the hard part. Its why jails and institutions dont work with disease. Its important that you get rehab so you can have the tools to cope with life. Life goes on if we are drunk or sober- so get the tools to do it sober. A bad day in recovery is much better than a good day in addiction.