What is the most outrageous thing....

Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the most outrageous thing....

... your beloved addict has done?

I was telling the story of my AD to a co-worker. The story about her addiction, rehab, return home, and relapse. My co-worker asked how I knew her drug use was recent; that the stuff I found wasn't from before she first time she chose to go to rehab. My AD was saying that the stuff I found was from her pre-rehab days. (Need I mention she also failed a urine test and then said that the test was faulty?) I told my co-worker that my AD might as well have had the evidence date stamped as she used a rehab flyer to rip and roll into a cylinder to snort the cocaine. I guess if my AD wasn't gonna read it, she found a way to recycle and re-use. Going green is good right? I mean I drive a hybrid, maybe my daughter has learned how to conserve? My co-worker and I both started to laugh and couldn't stop. There has to be some laughter in all of this right?

So... what is the most outrageous thing your beloved addict has done?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addict found sitting in the bathroom with a rolled up dollar bill in one hand and a magazine in the other. Horrified I said "what are you doing?" He responds "what? I always roll up dollar bills while in the bathroom!"

Ok whatever. At the time I felt my life was falling apart and yes spent the rest of the day beating my self up after he denied what I suspected. But now you have to laugh sometimes that is the only way you dont go crazy over it......
Old 03-04-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oooohh good thread!!
The most outrageous things have been whilst my abf has been high and drunk.
I just mentionned this in another thread but the most recent was he got all paranoid and stood waiting for his bedroom door to open, holding a baseball bat above his head so he can "keep me safe" from whoever was outside. No one was there of course.

Then there was the time he was high and angry and shouted so loud for so long that the neighbours complained to my family they worried for my safety. The next day of course i was a LIAR and he wouldn't get angry for "no reason".

That's all i can think of (apart from getting high itself), it's all pretty outrageous. But i'm hardly around him using anymore as i only speak to him when he's sober mostly. Plus i got myself a new job now

~Limiya~
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The only one I can think of that is actually funny....(well now it is) was years ago, our AD in a fit of anger came to the house & threw eggs at it. :wtf2
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marlie View Post
... your beloved addict has done?

I was telling the story of my AD to a co-worker. The story about her addiction, rehab, return home, and relapse. My co-worker asked how I knew her drug use was recent; that the stuff I found wasn't from before she first time she chose to go to rehab. My AD was saying that the stuff I found was from her pre-rehab days. (Need I mention she also failed a urine test and then said that the test was faulty?) I told my co-worker that my AD might as well have had the evidence date stamped as she used a rehab flyer to rip and roll into a cylinder to snort the cocaine. I guess if my AD wasn't gonna read it, she found a way to recycle and re-use. Going green is good right? I mean I drive a hybrid, maybe my daughter has learned how to conserve? My co-worker and I both started to laugh and couldn't stop. There has to be some laughter in all of this right?

So... what is the most outrageous thing your beloved addict has done?
Not sure any of it could be characterized as outrageous, more like typical. And today, have decided that it's healthier to ask myself, what was my role in this? rather than focus on their behavior.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the most outrageous my abf (ex) did was about 4 years ago one summer night a few days after he had foot surgery and was on painkillers and drank alcohol (when he knew he was not supposed to)...he stayed up all night on the apartment deck staring and fixated on a large vine in a tree that overhung the apartment and insisted to me it was a giant boa and got hysterical several times telling me to "come see, its moving!!"...(I was working night shift on my computer and it was so annoying at time I threatened to call 911 to come get him...he would calm down then start again and again....all the way to daylight).

However, I agree with Sailor..what was my role in this?? Well at the time I was fairly new to addiction behavior..but I allowed him to stay at my place the whole time while his foot healed and did nothing much to encourage him not to drink while taking his pain meds. Another thing, he made frequent bathroom trips so he might have been using other drugs I was unaware of too that made him hallucinate.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sure my daughter had outrageous behavior but thankfully I never witnessed it. It was terrifying enough seeing the track marks up and down her arms.

As a codie, I had some pretty outrageous behavior, though.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Well, I am still amazed at some of the things I did, I have mentioned it before, but to this day it still blows me away every time I remember the time I was on my way out the door to go to work, but at the last minute decided to come back in, grab my electric saw, a huge thing of 2 X 4 plywood, my shoes, and try and make them into platform shoes.
All while high on meth in my bedroom, The plywood was so long I could barely get it into my bedroom.
Then I was so late for work I called them and told them I got into a car wreck and was going to be late.

Talk about a total lunatic.

The craziest thing to me , is those kind of things were so normal to me,.,

ha ha they still are, but I just try and use better judgement these days!!
When playing with power tools!

But yea sometimes ya gotta just laugh!!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

once, when doing laundry I found a broken pen cylinder and a cigarrette cellophane in his pocket. i was so pissed at him all day and when he got home i was hysterical, saying "you said you weren't doing coke anymore." he very calmly said "i'm not. did you ever think maybe i snort other things besides coke?''

like that made it any better.... [rolling my eyes]
Old 03-05-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I came home one day to find my abf sitting on the plant shelf between our living room and family room. Mind you, this shelf is like 16 feet in the air (20 ft ceilings) and he's short like me - 5'4". No ladder present, no stools or chairs...just him on the shelf holding a rope and a can of dr pepper. I asked him why he was up there and he told me he couldn't find his stash and thought I had something to do with it. He said he looked in the attic, under the plants in our yard, inside the suga bag and even in the drain pipe in the kitchen, but couldn't find it. He said then he thought of the shelf and decided to check it out. I asked him what the rope was for and he said to get down but he couldn't find a tree branch to tie it off on. The soda went with him on the way up. I asked him where he got the idea that I would climb all the way up there to hide it vs. just flushing it - as I was prone to do - and he said that he (his reflection in the mirror) told him I was sneaky and he should think like a sneaky woman.

Yeah, it is typical behavior, but to a person who has never seen it before, it can seem pretty outrageous.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I've administered alcohol to myself intraveinously. As in, I filled a syringe with vodka and injected it into a vein.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

omg some of these have me giggling, ok exabf..............5'2 I am 5'9 solid steel door and a crack head "high on life as he called it, decided he was going to break down the door and be my hero..........he ended up in the hospital 2 days later screaming in pain with a seperated shoulder and broken arm...................

Me I am the speed racer, when I get high I race, now I am a big girl 5'9 weighing then about 230 hair to my waist and all I wanted to do was show off at the race track.....was all well and good until I got caught outside of my car when the police got there, I was drunk and went running jumped a fence, mind you it lead to the highway, left my purse laying in the frount seat of m y still running car..........still dont know why I wasnt arrested but they made sure i got my car and purse back.........
Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by k1a2t3h4r5y6n7 View Post
once, when doing laundry I found a broken pen cylinder and a cigarrette cellophane in his pocket. i was so pissed at him all day and when he got home i was hysterical, saying "you said you weren't doing coke anymore." he very calmly said "i'm not. did you ever think maybe i snort other things besides coke?''

like that made it any better.... [rolling my eyes]
For those that said these things were "typical" - maybe so - but they're still outrageous. Just because you/we may have gotten used to these types of behaviors/actions does not make them any more normal or less outrageous.

I can relate in some way to just about everything said so far...except for seeing anyone shoot up vodka! :O

I think the whole "stash" thing is the most outrageous thing I've witnessed. When I first began dating my ex AGF, I remember, little by little, I'd learn where she would "hide things" - from herself, from me, from her "friends"...literally, every single nook & cranny, every pocket in an article of clothing - I mean - everywhere...even when she would "deep clean" - in order to try to find something she stashed - she wouldn't cover all the bases. I can't tell you how many times I would get something from a closet or a drawer - and out would pop a pill or a rolled up bill or a bud...could you imagine having a young child in that environment? Thank God nothing ever happened to my 6 year old the few times I had brought him to her house with me...
Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Livingali, OMG... lol. I got quite the visual - I can't even imagine!!

Well, yes the outrageous, is ultimatly what we live with. If every now and then we can poke fun at it, somehow it lesses the usual 'pain' we associate with the outrageous.

I have had a number of outrageous things happen to me. First things that come to mind, are the things I'm somehow involved in...

1.) A night he claime he 'wasn't useing... and that he was OFF the pills...' he was high as a kite. I allowed him to be high and continue buying scratch tickets, one after another in the machine at the bar we were at. He was convinced that every 5th ticket is a winner..... He was so friggin high, that he kept asking me to check the numbers. NOPE NO WINNER..... I'd reply, and he'd keep at it not understanding why he hadn't won. Simply because I kept putting the winners, that totaled over 500.00 in my pocket!! lol.... I had a good laugh and a couple pairs of new shoes. When I knew he was sober one day I finally fessed up!! DUMMY!!!

2nd) would be the time that he went to the dentist to have a tooth pulled. (thinking of it cause I'm having one pulled tomorrow. now, I'm doing all this research on the procedure and what to do after an extraction, bla bla bla. I won't be smoking, or drinking... etc. GUESS WHAT HE DID?? 2 big molars extracted, threw some gauze up there, within 10 min. was smoking the marlboro red, drove to the bar, (im sure popped the pain pills in the same amount of time) and decided that he'd have a drink and a line, because he had 'a bad day getting teeth pulled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my god.

Ladies and gents- is he just stupid or what??? we could use these as examples of "this is your brain on drugs...."

cessy
Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You know, I think about what it was like when I saw abf sitting way up on the shelf. I was terrified that he would fall and slipt his stupid head open or break something or even die.

Now I look back on all the suff he used to do around the house - carpet surfing, searching the same hiding spots for HOURS looking for his rig - and I can laugh at the behavior now. Mostly because of what cessy said - "we could use these as examples of "this is your brain on drugs....""
Old 03-05-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it shows progress in OUR thinking. The post above that I posted at the time that happened it sent me to crazyville.

Now when he tries to rationalize his relapse behavior I call him out and tell him that is bs. I feel empowered by doing so because before I would really think that I was crazy and set out on a quest to find the TRUTH.....DUT TADA here is CODIE GIRL! GONNA FIND OUT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!

Looking back I am glad that I had those experiences because today it is no longer crazy making for me. Its a joke. The tale that he spins is a joke.

As for me I am just glad that I have come far enough to see it as quacking and KNOW its quacking. Before I spent alot of time trying to figure out what he meant or is he lying. Now I know before he even finishes a sentence. Today ended with a big fat headache for listening to all of his bs....
That is where I still have work to do......
Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here's one for you all:
My alcoholic and pill-addicted ex-b/f was given a codie-declared ultimtum in my first early days of recovery:

I won't be around you if you do any drugs. You can drink around me if you want (I don't like alcohol, so it doesn't trigger me) but you can't be drunk. For some reason I agreed with his assertion that he could be sober with 8 beers in him, but no more than that (talk about being in denial!!!).

So, he started by taking some type of med that cut his cravings and for a couple of weeks he kept his drinking to less than 8 12-oz cans of beer a night (he drank only nasty cheap beer in cans, Pabst or something like that).

But then after a while, he got tired of never catching a buzz, I guess. So in order to be able to still come over to spend time with me and be drunk, he increased the size of the beers! So by the time I broke up with him, he was drinking eight 40 oz. beers!!!

But as he said, he was only "following the rules I made up!" Funny now, but not then.

Love,
KJ
Old 03-06-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

funniest thing my AH has done. I only heard about it and read tresspassing warrant.

He walking into grocery store at closing barefoot and not a penny on him, after drinking a 5th of liquor in under 3 hours (and using a walker).
Filled the grocery cart up with cases of beer steaks, milk, my coffee creamer. Starting talking to store manager (now 30 min after closing) asked him what candy tasted the best and opened 3 bags of candy (gummy wworms and jolly ranchers I think) offered some to manager, ate some. Manager said, hey man you gonna pay for those. AH said hell no Im broke, got in an accident ahvent worked in weeks. Then walked off, circled store again. Walked to register, bagged his groceries and walked out. (Police were waiting for him outside)
Old 03-06-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I still think my AH tops you all with sitting in the middle of Walmart with a plastic baseball bat whacking a bag of lays potato chips trying to "open" them. Whatever, but I think I am the queen of outrageous things. On another note he was talking to himself and falling asleep (nodding out) standing up...IN WALMART!!. To top it off the sargent from the PD calls me @ 6 am when I'm hosting a sleepover of 6 8 year olds and I'm scrambling to get to a safe place so they can't hear me. He still remembers nothing of this at all. NOTHING. Thank goodness!!!

BTW - this is not funny at all, but you've got to keep your sense of humor somewhere along the line dontcha?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Okay, didn't think this served any useful purpose but I caught myself feeling lonely, thinking that I missed her-how ****** up is that?-figured a reminder of why I left might help me.

Last Labor Day eve she was supposed to come over to my place after work, pretty early Labor Day morning in fact, around 12:30 ish.

Well the time came and went, I ended up calling her cell, straight to voice mail. Typical codie me, I figured I'd track her down, easily done as she was at a gf's apartment only two miles from my house, the first place I looked.

I was furious, the anger kept me awake all night, in fact. So I was wide awake when she showed up at 6 am-she had a key then-told her to get the **** out. I could tell she was high, she pleaded that she hadn't been drinking. Her story was, her friends Mom had a heart attack, she had to babysit the gf's 3 year old.

Quite easy to pick apart the story, later that evening, she claimed that the Mom had in fact died. Which was ludicrous, you die, they don't bother with an obit-funeral? Did they just toss the body in a dumpster?

Several months later, was using her computer, there it was. She tried to dummy up an obit from an on-line service. I'm chuckling as I type this.

When she finally admitted to me afterward that she'd been smoking crack that night, for the entire time I'd known her and indeed the last seven years, she told me that even her friend with the 'dead' Mom was disturbed by the alibi story. Ya gotta laugh or cry