Notices

dealing with problems sober

Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking dealing with problems sober

Last night a "touchy" subject came up between me and my husband. It was 1am when I just got home and he was just going to sleep. It was just one little comment regarding his son/my daughter. I handled it so much better than I would have when I was drinking, even on a sober day. I'm very head strong and I would have kept it going, this time I didn't. I realize we each have our opinions and that's not going to change. So I left it alone.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey mama - thanks for this thread - it is always good to hear the Before and After stories - especially when they are good human stuff like this one.. You seem real aware of the difference.

Way to go!!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

Thanks Mamabin,

I am definitely working on controlling my mouth, especially with my boyfriend we are both strong minded and dont know when to give up. I am learning to pick my battles and also learning when to shut up....

Thanks,
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Awesome! Good for you Mamabin!

We need to adjust to the daily bullsh*t without the drink.

Sounds like you are managing quite well! clap clap!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love your signature H
Old 03-05-2009, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
Last night a "touchy" subject came up between me and my husband. It was 1am when I just got home and he was just going to sleep. It was just one little comment regarding his son/my daughter. I handled it so much better than I would have when I was drinking, even on a sober day. I'm very head strong and I would have kept it going, this time I didn't. I realize we each have our opinions and that's not going to change. So I left it alone.
I, too, am like you Mamabin.... Head strong and opinionated! When I find myself NOT responding in the "usual manner"... I see clearer and leave less damage in my wake!!!

Good for you,GF!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mamabin

Good for you! Since I've been clean...159 days, I've noticed how I cope with things such as disagreements between me and my husband. I used to just 'go off' over nothing. I now see that I'd make a mountain out of a mole hill just to give myself a reason to storm off and go use. Now, I seem to be dealing with things more calmly.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm finding it more difficult to deal with problems, where before I would just pick up a drink and forget them and avoid dealing with them, now I have to find a way to deal with them soberly, whichI am having a HARD time doing. I got in an argument with my boyfriend last night, have not talked since, and the first thing I thought about was getting a drink... I didn't I went to bed instead. I'm just having all kinds of emotions I don't know how to deal with, one minute I'm angry, sad the next, it's like a rollercoaster ride. Hopefully it will get better in time, I have two weeks and NOW this is starting??
Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Originally Posted by jch116 View Post
I'm finding it more difficult to deal with problems, where before I would just pick up a drink and forget them and avoid dealing with them, now I have to find a way to deal with them soberly, whichI am having a HARD time doing. I got in an argument with my boyfriend last night, have not talked since, and the first thing I thought about was getting a drink... I didn't I went to bed instead. I'm just having all kinds of emotions I don't know how to deal with, one minute I'm angry, sad the next, it's like a rollercoaster ride. Hopefully it will get better in time, I have two weeks and NOW this is starting??
Hey JCH! Hope you are having a great sober day!

Well, quite a play of words you got there on the first sentence! Since, you were never actually dealing with the problem through drinking, you were avoiding it completely! See how hard this f*cked up life we have to carry on really is? Well, it is so hard that when it all works out it is absolutely awesome! And prolly you need to be sober to enjoy it (i know i do!)

It is indeed a rollercoaster. Life is just a series of lows and highs, someone said on a song i really like. It is just that, and also: good things take time. The bad can be immediately at your doorstep, right now. So keep working through all this - take it easy when it is easy and rough when it gets rough! Do not skip the fight!

P.S: Thanks Mamabin! Mullholand Drive is awesome, like my brother always said: "haunting performances" by both actresses.

If you like f*cked up movies, i watched Synecdoche, New York and found it fascinating and a brain-f*ck. Charlie Kaufman still kicks ass!