Notices

This is my coming OUT?? Newbie here

Old 03-03-2009, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my coming OUT?? Newbie here

The mind is weird, it tends to find justifications for our bad behavior. I actually thought about buying a six pack then setting up my profile for this site. I was actually going to make my first post a "funny" story explaining how I'm having a few drinks for the last night. Somehow I convinced myself that it was not a good idea and why start tomorrow night when I should and have to start tonight. So tonight I have not drank.

My situation is a bit unique because I work 3pm to midnights. My normal daily routine is as follows. I usually wake around 10:30 in the morning I don't usually have any headaches but i still feel hungover. After waking I make myself some coffee. I usually start to sober up by 12:30 or 1pm but since its so close to work time I basically lose my daytime hours sobering up. I leave the house at 2 pm and work until midnight. Here comes the kicker...on the way home I stop and buy either a six pack or a bottle of wine. Get home around 1am and THEN I start to drink. This sounds amazing to the handful of people that I confess this too. Not only is drinking a problem but then I get hungry after drinking around 3:30 am and decide to eat right before going to bed. Then the cycle is repeated the next day. Weekends I find different justifications but the end results are similar except i will start around 6pm and drink until 2 am both Saturday and Sunday not to mention I will drink way more on a weekend.

Not only I'm I killing my health I know for a fact I have elevated blood pressure and possibly some form of diabetes and I'm overweight but I waste so much valuable time drinking and then sobering up. I put off things that are important to me and my family, including going to the doctor for my health concerns, exercising and dieting. This pattern has been going on for many years. Every so often I stop drinking for a couple of days or even a week but it is rare. Too many excuses. I find any excuse to convince MYSELF to go buy. I think this is a hard obstacle to get over and I was so surprised to read that so many people go through the same thing.

I'm very happy to have found this site, I hope to become a common poster here. Hopefully I can get through this and then I can start to address so many other issues I have in my life with a clear mind.

Thanks for reading
Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Dry!! Glad you decided to post with out the six pack!!
This is a great site with lots of good information and support.

I can so relate to your comment about putting off important things. I look at the chaos that resulted from my drinking and just shake my head. The amazing thing to me is I still question, is it really the drinking? It is crazy what we can tell ourselves.

I'll look forward to seeing more posts from you!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I work the same shift you do. I found that not buying beer during the day keeps me from drinking during the week since I can't buy when I get out of work. So this shift has actually helped me. My problem was that I would drink heavily on the weekends and then start to detox during the week, only to go back to the heavy drinking.

I've been sober over a month and this is the first time I made it this long in 12 years. This site has helped me immensely. I'm here first thing when I get up and first thing when I get home from work.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, I'm too fairly new to this site and have found it most inspirational. Drink get over hangover drink some more. The few hours of drinking aren't worth the hours of getting over it, I often wished I could take the hangover 1st then decide if I wanted to get through it in order to have the drink, doubt I would have drunk too often!! Shame life isn't that straight foward.

It is hard but from all the people on here we can see it's not imposible, well done for not buying the 6 pack, been there - shall I, shant I shall I, shant I. Shall I won 100% of the time for me, so enjoy your hangover free day!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is possible to stop drinking for good. The initial withdrawal is unpleasant but getting medical help in getting thru detox makes it more bearable. Welcome to the family! I'm glad you joined us!:ghug3
Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome again Dryspell.
The whole afternoon shift thing is really tough. I used to work rotating shifts and I disliked that one the most.
It is good you are taking the steps to make your life better. Instead of drinking come on here and post and read. After a while you will become one of the regulars and look forwars to seeing how the others are doing and we will look forward to hearing from you. It really helps me from becoming bored.
I am somewhat addicted to posting and reading on SR but it sure beats the alternative and the hangovers aren't nearly as bad.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
I am somewhat addicted to posting and reading on SR but it sure beats the alternative and the hangovers aren't nearly as bad.
Love that sense of humor fubar, thanks for that. Hope your day goes well and thanks for all your posting. You're a wonderful person.

Welcome to the site Dryspell!! I hope for your benefit that dryspell turns into a lasting drought. Early recovery is so hard sometimes with the cravings and sorting out of emotions and trying to find who you are and stuff. At least that's what it was like for me. I'm still doing it but it's not as intense. So keep coming back and you'll see just how helpful SR really is.

Ken
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Sir, a Steelers fan in Miami, well since there are not any Dolphins fans there, I guess that is understandable. The mind, which we normally think is our friend, is poisoned beyond recognition. Don't trust it just yet, but trust the same instinct that you followed when you didn't make the beer purchase. Hang tough !
Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey thanks alot folks, the kind words do strike a cord within me and make me realize I need to change in a hurry. Yes today I woke up "unhungovered" <-----(is that a word) and it felt great. I actually took care of something today I have been putting off for almost 3 months, took me 3 hours to do and could have a positive career impact in the future.

I hope to be around for a while
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Wow, I'm glad you're seeing the positive benefits of a sober life already.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not to change the subject...
Ok, I'm changing the subject.
Doesn't Ken look very "malibu" lately? Especially for somebody who lives where he does. I'd really like to be someplace warm and sunny right now.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi everyone thought I would keep this one going. I have been familiarizing myself with the site a bit. Awesome site with great people posting great information.

Oh Mamabin I forgot to answer your question about the avatar. The "thing" on his forehead is the logo for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They won the Super Bowl this year. You have to have heard of them....right? lol
Old 03-04-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident

Never heard of the Pittsburg Steelers. Is that some kind of B&E gang?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Dryspell View Post
Hi everyone thought I would keep this one going. I have been familiarizing myself with the site a bit. Awesome site with great people posting great information.

Oh Mamabin I forgot to answer your question about the avatar. The "thing" on his forehead is the logo for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They won the Super Bowl this year. You have to have heard of them....right? lol
Hahahahaha no, I don't follow football. And no, I didn't know who won the Super Bowl. What I do know is that this past year the halftime show was Bruce Springsteen. Last year was Tom Petty, who I have loved forever. The year before that was Prince, and he was incredible. That's my knowledge of the Super Bowl. And I know that Tom Brady missed last season and he just recently got married. I know that it takes like 2 hours to play 2 minutes on the clock.

I'm a baseball fan. One of those vicious Red Sox fans. A Yankee hater.

And I don't have a problem laughing at myself, so you guys are laughing with me, not at me, right???

Man Dryspell, you and I are off to a good start here. Just don't tell me you're a Yankee fan