Notices

Scared for my life

Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared for my life

Hello,

I just wanted to get this out to some people that understand what I am going through and how hard it is actually to quit, my fiancee doesnt quite understand what its like, especially the first couple of day (the withdrawls and what not).

First off, I lost my job in January and it has been going downhill since then, having not much to do during the days I found myself drinking beers all day and drinking vodka at night. I would usually drink 6-7 beers and a pint of vodka. I know this is waaaay too much so recently I go to the liquor store and regulate myself to a half pint and dont drink until at least 5. Its kind of my way that i quit many time, kind of weening myself off so the withdrawls arent that bad (mainly night sweats, some panic attacks, and always wanting to move around). Like I said i have quit before this way but it only lasts about a month or so.

Anyway my main concern is my i have this dull pain about where my liver is and its freaking me out, have any of you had this and then maybe quit and your liver returned to normal or is it just in my head? It seems if i drink a shot or two of vodka it goes away. I am just freaking out that if i stop now its too little too late.

Thanks for letting me vent and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Honey, you better go to a doctor and let them know what is going on. I read in "Under the Influence" that pain in that area indicates problem. I am not trying to scare you but let you know that I would be concerned especially if you drink that much. The doc can do blood tests to tell what kind of problems have been created from alcohol consumption. I must also tell you that I had problems in that same area and thank god I did not have any damage, however that is not the case for everyone. I just got lucky.
Please see a doctor and make sure he/she knows what is going on. Don't hold back. It is their job to help you.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Hey ToneBone! Glad you made it to SR

You need to see your doctor and be blunt about your drinking and everything.

He or she should be able to help. I donīt think anyone would provide you
with medical answers to your concerns over the internet.

Post here to tell us how everything goes and you are more than welcome to ask for support.
SR is an invaluable resource of awesome, loving and caring people.

All the best and hope you decide to quit now!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

You should definately see a dr. Everyone is different and it could be many different things.
Hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
Honey, you better go to a doctor and let them know what is going on. I read in "Under the Influence" that pain in that area indicates problem. I am not trying to scare you but let you know that I would be concerned especially if you drink that much. The doc can do blood tests to tell what kind of problems have been created from alcohol consumption. I must also tell you that I had problems in that same area and thank god I did not have any damage, however that is not the case for everyone. I just got lucky.
Please see a doctor and make sure he/she knows what is going on. Don't hold back. It is their job to help you.
Hi Lovinmenow! Hope you are doing great with your sober self!

I just wanted to comment on these sort of post that are sometimes made.

Is nothing personal, i just need to vent this.

People that come to an online forum, especially these ones, with fear for their life and health, somehow have high levels of anxiety and nervousness. I believe that somehow, maybe, people should try to make their comments as sterile as possible. Just encourage them to send them to a doctor or anything else that might help him. I personally, if i was in such a state of confusion and terror (i know i had when it came to my drinking) and somehow made it here and someone told me "well, iīm not trying to give you a scare, but if it itches its prolly AIDS" i would PANIC! Because we, in such a tense moment, read every single word posted and people like me (drunks) are known for their short fuse in terms of exploding nerves and such.

I have seen some posts that, if i were me, i would totally freak. I have managed to keep a great medical health insurance on my hands so i am thankful, but what about the people that ainīt so resourceful? i donīt know, i am just talking to myself i guess.

I had a pain, a huge once, in what could be considered the "liver area" years ago. And i was drinking heavily back then also. I was out of my mind thinking that i might have f***ed up my liver. I of course stopped drinking after i saw the doctor. Blood work came out perfectly and the ecography showed that the pain was due to an inflammation of the intestines (related to some other issues i have since childbirth) that made pressure to the liver and such.

I am a bit reluctant on pushing the "submit reply" because i donīt want this to be a misunderstanding.
I know you and others are trying to help. Just giving you my honest opinion.

Keep up your support and love filled post! I personally thank you!

Last edited by AlkalikeH; 03-03-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: "try to make their comments as sterile as possible"
Old 03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there.

It's not too late to stop and to get better. I understand being very scared-I had similar pain in my liver towards the end of my two bottles of wine a day habit.The pain went after a week or so of me stopping and I am lucky I hadn't done any permanent damage.

The thing is-the sooner you stop-the sooner you'll begin to heal.It would be a good idea to see a doctor-as scarey as that is-just to find out what you need to do to recover.You may find it's not half as bad as you thought but not knowing, and worrying is awful to live with.

The sooner you stop drinking the better your body will be-that's for sure.

Keep posting here and know you are surrounded by people who care and understand,

Wishing you well,

Jules xox

P.S-Just wanted to add-I endorse what AlkalikeH said.It's very important to remember this a newbies forum and the last thing anyone new here needs is to be made more scared than they already are.It takes a huge amount of courage to come here and post the first time.Thanks.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
Yeah I definitely understand the need to get to the doctor, its just I lost my job and havent had enough money to get COBRA yet. My fiancee and I are moving in with my parents in less then a month and will have enough money to get it then. I guess I just wanted some piece of mind, someone saying, yeah that happened to me, but i quit and its all good now. I also have to let you know that I have Hemachromatosis which compounds the problem (I almost want to point and laugh at myself for being so weak). But I will make a conservative effort to quit, I have cut way back, and plan on not drinking tomorrow. There is very little alcohol in the house and as soon as its gone, I'm not buying anymore.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Considering the title of your post, I'll address that but only after telling you WELCOME to SR

Ok, if you are scared for your life, I'll go with whats been said, see a doc, you can go to an indigent care clinic w/ out insurance or set up payment plans at any ER service. While this might seem sterile and scary, you are saying you are scared for your life, and I wont agree to make light of that, or cover my post in candy and hugs. This can be deadly. You asked about pain near the liver.. (it's near the liver as the liver itself doesn't have the nerve endings that cause pain). Pain near the liver CAN be caused by life threatening conditions. Maybe it's not in your case, but I think it would be irresponsible to not warn you of these effects, new or not. You choose what to do from here, and coming here is a great first step, seeing your doc for the medical stuff might be a good next step. We'll be here
Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

It did take alot of courage to come here. And no we never want to scare anyone. Especially a newcomer.
But we can not give medical advice either and just becasue it may have been similar situation for one doesnt mean it is for the next.
Thats why all that medical advice stuff is so important.
I could have a rash just like your and it be something totally different.
But I understand wanting to get a piece of mind. But you will only truly know for sure when you are seen by a professional.
There is always social services. I can not stress enough how important it is to check with your local social services office for help. There is always a way.
Noone regardless of income or ins coverage should be denied medical care. And social services is there for that.
Good Luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Considering the title of your post, I'll address that but only after telling you WELCOME to SR

Ok, if you are scared for your life, I'll go with whats been said, see a doc, you can go to an indigent care clinic w/ out insurance or set up payment plans at any ER service. While this might seem sterile and scary, you are saying you are scared for your life, and I wont agree to make light of that, or cover my post in candy and hugs. This can be deadly. You asked about pain near the liver.. (it's near the liver as the liver itself doesn't have the nerve endings that cause pain). Pain near the liver CAN be caused by life threatening conditions. Maybe it's not in your case, but I think it would be irresponsible to not warn you of these effects, new or not. You choose what to do from here, and coming here is a great first step, seeing your doc for the medical stuff might be a good next step. We'll be here
Hey Fluffer,

No need to neither candy coat it or give any sort of prognosis, in my humble opinion. I know **** about nerve endings but if i had gone to an online forum first for each pain i had and i had responses like these ones, on top of my already frightening situation, it would not be right.

I went to the doctor, got blood work and an eco. Cellphones, too much tanning, drinking a soda out of the can and driving can kill you. Cancer from the ocean, cancer from the sun, you know? So why make it worst? IT ALL IS DEADLY!

I will stand as this being a newbie forum and any sort of these online opinions on someoneīs health, no matter how much knowledge you have, is highly irresponsible. Even if you just came from transplanting a cowīs heart to a guy.

Hope you are doing awesome with your sober self tonight.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Wasn't giving a prognosis, I was addressing his statements and questions, which were partially medical, and he is "scared for his life".

I'm not here to scare anyone, and I'm always here to support people. I respect your opinion that I'm doing the wrong thing, or saying that alcoholism is more dangerous than it is. If I drink the way I was, I will die sooner than I will using my cell phone every day, but again, if you don't see the difference, that's cool, and not my business.

So next time someone asks a direct question about their fear and health concerns related to drinking a ton of alcohol, you can ignore it, and I'll address it the way I do. No need to hijack a newbie's thread.

I'm sorry tone, if I said something that you weren't looking for here, skip me.

I do welcome you, and I hope you find what you're looking for, and get the support you need. This is a great place, obviously full of differing opinions, but that's what really makes it work for a lot of us. Just like anywhere else, take what you need, leave the rest. Stick around, read our stories, ask questions, jump into chat.. whatever you feel like!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If people are posting they're scared over a health issue, I figure the worst thing I can do is
scare them more.

One of my closest friends here was nearly scared off here as a newbie by well meaning but tough talking folks.

Let's not forget what a step that first post is - it takes a lot of guts, and it can be pretty scary in itself anyway.

I'm a straight talker - but I try to think whether it's appropriate or not.

The responsible thing, to me, is to simply advise ppl to get it checked out - go see a doctor where they'll get an expert diagnosis and professional care

Tonebone? LOL Go and see a Dr.
I did - I'd drunk for 15 years - I came through OK.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-03-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hey Guys,
Lets get back on topic and help tonebone. I think that anyone who is an alcoholic has health problems and there is no getting away from that topic. All we can do is offer our experiences, different views and support to any newcomer here.

Let's start this thread over.

Hi Tone,
Welcome to the board. We are all glad you are here now and making a big effort to get some help. Please stay with us babe. Read posts and know that all of us are trying to help eachother get past addiction. You will find many people here are on the board alot and always out there to give support.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
getting there

Hi and welcome!
I agree with the folks that say see a doctor. It's also never too late to stop! My experience was that when I completely quit, most of my physical complaints went away pretty quickly.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

in my experience over the years the area where I thought my liver was hurt often after long binges or when I got worked up over my drinking. I am pretty sure it must have been anxiety because I have also had many, many liver blood tests over the years and they are always normal. The pain also always goes away when I seem to forget about it. Anxiety has been the cause of many physical symptoms in my life.

I am not saying don't go to the doctor, you should, just offering up my experience. Also, on a more positive note, my doctor did say that liver damage caught early is reversible. It is the liver damage that is caught later that is really problematic. The liver does have a remarkable ability to heal itself. So get sober and go see a doctor. Welcome and good luck!

Oh yeah, liver blood tests aren't that expensive w/o insurance although you need a doctor or NP's order, I am one of the unfortunate uninsured. They run around 75-100 bucks.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Tonebone,

I will answer your question with out giving any advice. I have had this happen to me twice and it did scare me a lot. The first time I was drinking a lot of vodka daily for about two weeks. My stomach was extremely bloated, I felt like it was hard to breathe and I had a lot of pain in my rib area on both sides. I know the right side is the liver, but I had it on both. I just had the same thing happen to me a week ago. The first time I went to the hospital and they ran a ton of tests. In my case, I was dehydrated and my liver enzymes were elevated. I stopped drinking for three weeks and went back for a blood test and everything was fine. This time around I did not go to the doctor and figured it was withdrawals/detox and dehydration. I went out and bought two liters of pedialyte and drank it very slowly through out the day. I felt so much better the next day. It has taken me at least four days to feel a lot better. Again, I am not giving you any advice and just telling you my situation. I was totally scared and totally freaked out both times, but after 7 days of no drinking I feel great.

I too lost my job end of December. Two weeks ago I decided to drink for the heck of it and probably averaged 15-20 beers per day for five days and then started feeling the liver pain. My first couple of days of not drinking I had really bad insomnia and itchy skin all over in different places every few seconds. I used Benedryl to help sleep and eleviate the itchiness.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rob
Old 03-04-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi there, welcome to SR- I agree that you should see a doctor, just to rule out anything sinister.. When we are at a low ebb in our life, aches and pains can get very real, I certainly start to worry about pain, and the more I worry the stronger the pain is... I now also know this is a symptom of me being very low, and when drinking I am very low, also, when we are drinking too much we are all aware that we may be damaging certain parts of us, ie liver.. and any pain in that area is going to start alarm bells... Just a thought, but you should see a doctor to rule out anything medical.. Try not to worry too much, and stopping drinking can only makes things better... Take care.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonebone View Post
Yeah I definitely understand the need to get to the doctor, its just I lost my job and havent had enough money to get COBRA yet. My fiancee and I are moving in with my parents in less then a month and will have enough money to get it then. I guess I just wanted some piece of mind, someone saying, yeah that happened to me, but i quit and its all good now. I also have to let you know that I have Hemachromatosis which compounds the problem (I almost want to point and laugh at myself for being so weak). But I will make a conservative effort to quit, I have cut way back, and plan on not drinking tomorrow. There is very little alcohol in the house and as soon as its gone, I'm not buying anymore.
Ok, listen...a law was just passed that the newly unemployed can get their cobra and only pay 35% of the total cost. Your former employer picks up the rest and is then reimbursed by the federal gov't. Call your former company and speak to the HR rep. If you need additional information, PM me.

Good Luck
Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

As the members have said, we cannot give any kind of medical advice, so please check with your dr or go to the ER.

I'm glad you found us and hope you use SR as a means of support.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do check with your doctor and have blood tests done. That can tell you if you've done any permanent damage to your liver.