Notices

Things That Help

Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things That Help

I've noticed that a lot of people on the forum have found various things that have helped them with the physical aspects of early recovery. So I thought I would start a thread where we could all share our own remedies.

For me, Milk Thistle & Green Tea (for liver recovery) and high strength Fish Oil (to keep the blood thin and for heart health) (and because I don't like fish) ....and lots of water of course!

And for sleeplessness...I am writing a poem! I started writing this in my head one night when I was lying awake. Now, each night when I want to fall asleep I write another couple of lines in my head. It'll probably be a rubbish poem - but it does the trick for me!!

DB
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey DB thanks for the thread. I think a lot of newcomers may find it useful.

When I first quit drinking I did what I could to get plenty of rest. I also began eating healthy and drinking lots of water. I began taking multivitamins and fish oil. Psychologically, I tried to stay positive about myself and not berate myself for what I'd done in regards to drinking. In time I began exercising regularly. I feel pretty good about myself now and I don't take that for granted. I am thankful for this sobriety each and every day.

Ken
Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sleep, exercise, good food, repeat. I found that when I got sober, I didn't do much at first to fix the rest of my health. I figured "well I quit drinking, so who cares if I eat bad, don't exercise.. at least I don't drink!", that's silly.. overall health is so important. Taking care of myself all the way around is vital to not only my sobriety, but to the long life I hope to live not cut short by alcohol use!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm going to have to figure out what milk thistle is
Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Milk thistle is an herb that's supposed to be helpful in detoxing the liver.

What I like to do is walk my dogs. The exercise, fresh air, and sunshine are good for me as well as for them. It gets me out of the house when I'm isolating.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OzSandy View Post

In my early days of recovery I didn't have much appetite and everything seemed to taste like cardboard. But nutrition is important. I'd eat light, small meals regularly - like dry wheat biscuits with cheese and some salad.
No appetite? Really? I've been starving all week, with all sorts of food cravings from chocolate to prime rib. Is this totally abnormal? I don't even like chocolate.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nutritious food, lots of "Good" liquids, relaxing timeout, and going for trail rides on my horse. Sleep has come naturally since I stopped drinking. Am also taking multi-vits and fish oil caps. Have always eaten reasonably healthy, but am fine tuning that. I'm going to go get some milk thistle today.I like the sound of it.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

I can tell everyone right off the bat what not to do: not eating, not drinking water and having cup after cup of dark strong coffee! worsened every single withdrawal symptoms. This happened me last week and i ended up having to call the emergency number.

On the other hand, on my first attempt to get sober the things that helped me were similar to the ones mentioned in this thread: i ate as much fish as i could (i absolutely love fish but i am not so in love with the prices - so mostly canned sardines), i drank a lot of freshly squeezed lemon juice sweetened up with some honey, lots of water, lots of walking (i am not a big fan of the gym scene, but a 30 minute walk a day helped), stood away from coffee and sodas, took multivitamins (the more Bīs the better! and got plenty of rest.

But i was doing it for the wrong reasons so i failed. This one i am doing for myself but i was off to a bad start and now is feeling great.

Thanks for the thread, will help a lot in the future for many newcomers!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am also getting into herbal teas - there are some great ones on the market, designed especially for relaxation and calmness. They are caffeine free, non addictive, and a great alternative to coffee and sodas - and some of them even taste OK!
Old 03-01-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Iced green tea with a splash of lemonade! Keep a glass handy when the need to bend the elbow hits.

A fast walk to outrun the anxiety attacks!

A banana for breakfast everyday and lots of healthy snacks, still helping me get through each day.

One day at a time
Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

milk thistle is sooooo great
i actually was anorexic in high school and my liver was failing. yeah great idea for me to become an alcoholic later, i know
but i took milk thistle and ate lots of vitamin A and later got got blood test and i was apparently ok
so yeah. milk thistle=great. :\
Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
No appetite? Really? I've been starving all week, with all sorts of food cravings from chocolate to prime rib. Is this totally abnormal? I don't even like chocolate.

i think that part of it may be your body needing the nutrients in certain foods that you were missing out on by drinking etc.
but ribs are always tasty. omg ribs
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DES

What about LiverRite, Liver Aid? Does anyone know anything about that? I've been taking it for a while now. Not sure how you can tell if it's helping or not.