Notices

Hi.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Drunkard

Post Hi.

I'm a twenty three year old male, from the east coast(canada), and i'm a drunkard. Thoroughly, absolutely, I love alcohol, I need it. I'm also a pothead and have dabbled in cocaine on many occassions but the booze is my main problem(I can't do blow unless i'm drunk).

I've been drunk for a couple weeks now, asides from one day in which I entirely abstained from alcohol.

I'd like to stop abusing it so much eventually, sooner than later preferably.

Anyways,

Regards.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Drunkard

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
Stop now Pyrrhus! I wish I had stopped at your age (I was actually just getting started).
I'd like to cut down or stop but I just can't. Regardless of how painful the hangover, i'll always find a reason to drink. It's been this way for about five years now.

What's your plan for quitting?
I don't have a plan.

Welcome to SR!

Phal
Thank you, salut.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well My Friend... You made it to an Awesome Site, to get support and Ideas!! There are some awesome people in Here!! Welcome to SR!!

My deal was never Booze!! It was Cocaine!! And it was Bad!! I go to NA to stay Clean!! I can't Drink, or do Any Drugs... I know this, cuz I'll be right back on My dealers Doorstep... and Things would go Very Bad, Very Quickly!!

I know that I'm an Addict... And I know that I will Always Be an Addict!!

So... Drugs and Booze, must stay Out of My Life... (and Body)... Forever!!

And I'm Ok with That!!

I also Know, that I'll be involved With NA forever too!! Cuz I tried stopping on My Own, and failed!! I have totally stopped now, with NA, for 16 months!! and Life is Good!!

So... I'm gonna keep it this way!!

Stick around here, and someone is sure to give You some advise, that is good, and that will Work, for You!!

And Hi... From the West Coast, of Canada... Ehhh!! Hahahaha!!

Good Luck Friend!!

~Rob~
Old 02-28-2009, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Drunkard

Well My Friend... You made it to an Awesome Site, to get support and Ideas!! There are some awesome people in Here!! Welcome to SR!!

My deal was never Booze!! It was Cocaine!! And it was Bad!! I go to NA to stay Clean!! I can't Drink, or do Any Drugs... I know this, cuz I'll be right back on My dealers Doorstep... and Things would go Very Bad, Very Quickly!!

I know that I'm an Addict... And I know that I will Always Be an Addict!!

So... Drugs and Booze, must stay Out of My Life... (and Body)... Forever!!

And I'm Ok with That!!

I also Know, that I'll be involved With NA forever too!! Cuz I tried stopping on My Own, and failed!! I have totally stopped now, with NA, for 16 months!! and Life is Good!!

So... I'm gonna keep it this way!!

Stick around here, and someone is sure to give You some advise, that is good, and that will Work, for You!!

And Hi... From the West Coast, of Canada... Ehhh!! Hahahaha!!

Good Luck Friend!!

~Rob~
I've had my issues with cocaine, week long thousand dollar binges. I've od'd a couple times but it's always been the booze that has made me crave the coke. I don't think a twelve step plan or AA will help me, I lack discipline and I feel that i'll never be able to stop entirely. I have a destructive personality.

Thanks for the good luck.

Can you think of any reasons not to drink?
Yes, my own personal health is a concern of mine. It's just that the reasons to drink overwhelm that concern. I've always been melancholic by nature, alcohol helps usually.

Think about a plan as you go about your day-to-dayness.

I found that if I focused on breaking the habit then it became much easier to quit.

Phal
In the past fitness has kept my mind off of alcohol, i've been trying to get back into a routine. I've considered applying to the military, keep me focused on a goal of some sort.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll tell you what... I had a $3000.00 per week Coke habit, each and Every Week!! And I thought that I was Doomed to be that way, till I died!!

And I OD'd Many Times!! I should be dead right now... But... I wanted to live, and Wanted to Stop Using!! I tried alone, and Failed!! I tried through NA, and I got, and Stayed Clean!!

If You don't want to Stop... You will Never Stop!! I Promise You that!!

You have to decide that You Want to quit!! But... I can almost Guarantee, that without a 12 step program, or help and support, of some kind... You won't be able to!! The Biggest thing, is when You decide, That You Want to Stop, and You Want to Stop for You, not because others want you to stop!! You Have to want it!!

I can Assure You... That if I can Stop Using, with the MASSIVE AMOUNTS, that I used to do... Anyone can quit!!

I am not makin this S#@* up!!

It's a Fact!!

I made a Point, of Buying EVERYTHING that My Dealer had, when I went to Pick Up!! Every Time!!

I was a Mess!!

I'm Clean today!! I have no Desire to get High, today, Either!!

My Life was a Train-Wreck, 16 months ago!! Totally!!

My Life is Good Today!!

It's Your Decision, I can only tell You, what worked for Me, and what didn't!!

Good Luck!!

~Rob~
Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Drunkard

Originally Posted by SuperTrucker65 View Post
If You don't want to Stop... You will Never Stop!! I Promise You that!!
The thing is, I don't know how to want to stop.

My Life is Good Today!!

It's Your Decision, I can only tell You, what worked for Me, and what didn't!!

Good Luck!!

~Rob~
Certain things work for some, for others not so much. On a side note, congrats on overcoming your coke addiction.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello

It might be an idea to go to counselling, you might be lucky enough to get a decent one first time round, else you might find yourself having another go in a decade.

Don't worry too much about your health you are only 23, unless you choke on your own vomit or have acute alcohol poisoning booze will kill you real slow and you will have years of misery first.

The forces sounds like a good idea, but i would go first to get some input as to why you are like you are, as there may be some underlying problems you should address in order to lead a happy life.

Keep coming to SR though, you will get lot's of different opinions here and support:-)
Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome

You might find this info interesting....

ALCOHOL'S DAMAGING EFFECTS ON THE BRAIN

Hope you decide to quit....alcohol is a toxin
and it damages every part of you.

Good to see you here ..
Old 03-01-2009, 01:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR.
I hear you on not wanting to stop but at least you recognize that you have a problem or you wouldn't be here.
I come here daily in my quest to stop and wish I would have started quitting in my 20's.
There is plenty of support here from people that have quit using many different methods so hang around and when you are ready to commit yourself to quitting we will be here to help, support, amd listen to you. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Pyrrhus :ghug You are here for a reason & you must have done some searches to get here. I wish I tried to make some changes at your age... you now have a chance to better yourself before its too late.

Please don't be reading this in 10 years thinking "How did I let it get this far..." It happens very quickly.

We are all here with you, please try to stay here at SR & post your challanges. There are a lot of people that can help.

Take Care,

SR
Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Drunkard

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
The forces sounds like a good idea, but i would go first to get some input as to why you are like you are, as there may be some underlying problems you should address in order to lead a happy life.
I feel that i'll never be happy. It's just in my nature to be unhappy, melancholic, full of black bile, etc. I have alot of Irish blood, I believe that might have something to do with my problems.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Pyrrhus

I’m from England and have Irish blood too, the Irish do seem to have a love of a drink. But so what, why you have the problem is less important than fixing it. Get off the booze and worry about why you had it after if you still care.

I’m in the early stages and a long way from “cured” but mate it will screw your life up and it will get worse. The Irish by the way are a happy bunch, they have been when I’ve been there!! Concentrate on what’s good in your life, if there is nothing good think harder. Believe me when I was waking up with a hangover everyday nothing did seem to make me happy waking up without one does, so there’s a start.

Get a plan, keep posting on here, you’ll find new friends who will help you.

Good Luck
Xym
Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
The thing is, I don't know how to want to stop.

Certain things work for some, for others not so much. On a side note, congrats on overcoming your coke addiction.
Yea, you may not "know" if you want to, but you DO know (in the back of your head) you should.

I'm an addict and know I'm F'in up my head and life. You know also that it has to end.

So, if you can, please explain how you don't know how to stop. You want to stop but can't? Or you don't know if you should stop?

I feel for you.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was told that in order to stop drinking you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. It sounds like you still want to drink, even knowing the bad things that may happen to you down the road.

I hope things turn out well for you. I truly hope that while you're making up your mind, nothing awful happens to you or anyone else from your drinking.

Welcome to a great place for support and understanding and good advice. :ghug3
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I too wish I would have stopped MUCH earlier in life, I am 40 now and it's not just the health effects that worried me but also, now that I am a few weeks sober I've had time to reflect on all the lost opportunities in my life in so many areas, work, education, my family, etc... Good for you for recognizing you have a problem now. As Newbeginning said, you are here for a reason, and there is a lot of support and encouragement here for you. I hope you decide to quit.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

I've always been melancholic by nature, alcohol helps usually.
Hey man, hope you are doing well today.

I am a severely melancholic person, and that also lead not only to seek solace in drinking but also to increase it at earth-shattering levels, which sounds stupid but yes, we are heavy self-destructors (that word does not exist i think, but well, let´s put it that way). Maybe you find some joy in melancholy? Well, believe me, i do have to admit that i enjoyed it, and that alcohol went with it.

You know what also? melancholy also exists in soberness. And misery. And it the same form and shape as it appears when you are drunk. You can increase it or make it go away, enjoy it or dwell on it, but without killing yourself. I can assure you that this affair you have with the bottle, when it ends, you will see that there are things that will stay there, but you will learn to fight or enjoy whatever feeling you need, but with a sober mind. Hell, maybe you have an artist in yourself, who knows? and you can do whatever in your soberness with all those feelings you get.

To quote two of my many adored artists and musicians who got clean and sober and continued to create heart-wrenching tunes:

Bob Mould:
"Once we throw away that romantic notion of the candle burning in the wine bottle and sitting there over a scotch and soda and pouring over our misery like no one will understand, then you’re able to move on with life and grow up."

Tom Waits:
"I tried to resolve a few things as far as this cocktail lounge, maudlin, crying-in-your-beer image that I have. There ain't nothin' funny about a drunk. I was really starting to believe that there was something amusing and wonderfully American about being a drunk. I ended up telling myself to cut that **** out."

Hoping for the best man, live hard without killing yourself. All the best.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Stop now Pyrrhus!
+10000000000

I'm 28, which is still young, but I wish I would have stopped back then....you'll avoid a lot of pain and failure.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm Irish/Scottish... That is just an Excuse, because You Don't wanna quit Drinking, and going on Cocaine Binges!!

That is Your Choice!!

But... If You Really, Truely, want to Continue, with Drinking and Getting High... Then Why did You Come to this Site??

I'm Thinking that My Friends, that can Control their Drinking, and Drug use... Don't come to SR, when Surfing the Web!!

I do, cuz I can't Control it... So Here I am!!

You Choice, My Friend!!

Good Luck, on Whatever You Decide!!

~Rob~
Old 03-01-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
The Long Climb

I feel that i'll never be happy. It's just in my nature to be unhappy, melancholic, full of black bile, etc. I have alot of Irish blood, I believe that might have something to do with my problems.
I'm from east coast canada and I used to think like that too. I was a meloncholy person all the time. I thought that's who I was. In fact, I didn't want it taken away from me because I was afraid it would change the way I expressed myself creatively (like writing music).

Now that I've cleaned up, I realize that unhappiness is temporary, and though I still have bleak periods, most of the time I am content. I really like that I can be happy without poisoning myself. As a plus, when the meloncholy sets in, I can put it to better use now. My musical ability has much improved.

Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

WELCOME TO SR!!!

Any time you've finally had enough.... You'll get and stay sober, hopefully! It's all one minute, hour, day at a time! There's no quick fix or magic wand to zap you into health and sobriety -- LIFE!

We've got a lot of support here and for me personally, I know I can't stay sober unless I've got a ton of support and outstretched hands comin' my way!

My hand is stretched out to YOU! :ghug:ghug3