Notices

Been off opiates for a week depressed and bad anxiety

Old 02-28-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been off opiates for a week depressed and bad anxiety

HEY GUYS JUT WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANY OPIATE USERS OUT THERE WITH ANY ADVICE THIS IS MY THIRD TIME COMING OFF I REALLY WANT TO QUIT THIS TIME. JUST FEEL HORRIBLE MENTALLY. I AM PASS THE PHYSICAL FUN.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Sorry to hear that! I have no experience with opiates but i wish you the best of luck for this shot! !

Stay strong!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am sure others will be along who can give you more advice.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, I was addicted to opiates for 10 years. I have been off of them for almost 4 yrs. The first year is tough, but I promise you it gets better and better. You just have to stick it out. Don't pick up, and don't hang out with anyone who uses. Keep busy, work, school, your family, what ever, and go to meetings. If you cant go out to a meeting sign on to SR and talk to people that understand what your going through. Every day is a milestone, and for me, I used chammomile tea to calm my anxiety. What kind of opiates were you using? Some are stronger than others. If I can do it, anybody can. You just have to really want it. Remember, relapse happens long before you put that drug in your mouth. You need to do the right things to stay clean. Learn your triggers, and stay away from old people, places, and things. Put the same effort you used in picking up drugs, into staying straight. Fight for your life and sobriety. Trust me, your life will get better beyond your wildest dreams. Relapse just prolongs the inevitable. Eventually you will have to suffer it out. Now is better than later. Anxiety comes and goes, and most of it is mental. If you stay busy, you wont think about using as much. Im almost 4 yrs clean and I still crave once in a while. But I know, I can't touch that stuff. I have struggled enough, and I don't want to go through it again. Now I am in control of my life. Not drugs. It's good to be free. There are alot of people on this site that can help you and give you advice. I also used prayer as a way to cope. People do recover from opiate addiction, but remember it has the highest relapse rate of all the drugs out there. So, don't think you can be around it and not use. I have been clean for 4 yrs, and I am amazed at how often they are offered to me now. When I was using, I could have been desperate for a pill, and nobody would have offered me anything. Go figure. After a year clean, I was looking for a book in my office and a bottle of 30 percocettes fell out of the book shelf. If that's not the devil himself, I don't know what it is. Right to the toilet bowl they went. Good Luck to you, and I wish you the best. If I can do it, you can too. Congratualtions on your clean time God Bless You....Angel
Old 03-01-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addict...156 days clean. I was taking 30 10mg hydro-or-oxycodones per day before I checked into rehab. While in rehab, I was put on Suboxone, and it has literally saved my life. I have no cravings for opiates at all. As for the cocaine, well thats a different story. I'm really struggling with the cravings for that, but I haven't given in.
I know how you're feeling right now...opiates are VERY hard to kick, but you're doing good! Keep posting here, and you'll find a lot of support. Good luck and you're in my prayers. :praying
Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

WELCOME TO SR!

I am a grateful Recovering Addict & Alcoholic. My drug of choice (DOC) was opiates, for 25 years to be exact. I have often wondered how in the world I am still alive, not just because of the amt of pills I took, but the situations I put myself in continually to get pills and also while high. Instead of trying to figure it out, I am just grateful to God and feel that there is still a reason I have lived through this hell here on earth.

I had many, many attempts at Sobriety from 1980 until 2005. My usual response to a thread like yours from a fellow opiate addict was pretty much covered by Angelic17. She took the words right out of my mouth.

How long have you been using/abusing opiates?

I hope you will stick around, read and share as much as you are comfortable with and again, welcome to the SR Family!

Judy
Old 03-01-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey guys thanks for the replys. I have been using everything from vicodin all the way up to H. Way more pills though just liked them better. I just feel wierd write now. i feel like my mind is racing and i cant slow it down some times i just want to sit home all day. is this crazy anxiety mind racing insanity normal just wanted to know if you guys went through it to. Im trying to be strong.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ditto as to all angelic said for you. one thing about the depression, if i may. depression happens to almost all addicts/alcoholics for a time after we stop. why? what are we facing when we stop? REALITY! wham! it hits us like a ton of bricks. and the biggest reality of it all is the most simple - WE'VE LOST OUR BEST FRIEND!! our dope/booze/whatever. even after the physical consequences are worked through, there's that sudden realization that our best buddy is gone. toss some anxiety in there and you've got a pretty nasty picture, eh? just like angelic said - it takes some time and some puroseful distractions to help move us along. may i suggest some journaling? get some of that crap outta your head and onto some paper. reread what you wrote slowly and make some sense of it so you can be aware of things you can work on to minimize that depression and anxiety.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey girl

been there. H, percs and everything- replaced it with titanic qtys of alcohol which was stupid. for what its worth- the thing that really helped my opiates issue (around 15 yrs ago) was aerobic type exercise- light or heavy- actually heavy was great because it fired up my brains section apparently that the opiates were doing. get a movie or some music you love, get on a stationary bike, and ride for 2 hrs at any pace you feel comfortable. the key is the hours. but i am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination......just some feedback
Dub