Mind Reading

Old 02-28-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mind Reading

Back when, I discovered I had the power to read people's minds. It was absolutely incredible that I was able to arbitrarily infer what other people were thinking of me, at any time, all the time.

I could take any he/she did or did not fill in the blank situation and know he/she thinks fill in the blank. How could I not react to what I inferred with hurt and sometimes anger?

As time went on, I began to see a connection associated with my power to read minds. It was only effective when the thoughts I read, affirmed how I felt.

When someone did not react the way I expected them to, my power of mind reading told me this was because I was too stupid, I was unattractive, I was unworthy......Funny how that worked out.

It would never dawned on me that maybe I was too short, too slim and trim, too dark, too brown-eyed, too intellegent ......because I am none of those things. Funny how that worked out.

It also never dawned on me that perhaps I was not the center of their attention, that maybe I was not even on their radar cause they had their own stuff going on or they, being mere mortals, had no power to know what I was thinking and feeling. Poor dears.

And yet, there I was, blaming them because I was hurt, because afterall, I had the power to read other people's minds.

Since I had this gift of mind reading I wondered if perhaps I had other gifts, too. Maybe I had the power to take responsibility for the way I felt and reacted to things instead of giving that power away to a mere mortal.

I mean, what if I started to feel good/ worthy enough that I no longer needed to use my power of mind reading to infer what other people thought about me? What if it no longer mattered? What if I became good enough for me?

I am a work in progress. How about you?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mind reading skills sucked!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yes, I battled with my mind-reading skills for years and years! Funny, this last 1+ years, I have had to accept, I do not have ESP skills of any kind and have to rely on others speaking up for themselves clearly!

I still struggle once in a while, and probably always will, but if I can't seem to get myself out of it - I know I can come here and be reminded that I do lack these skills!

You were reading my mind when you wrote this thread - that was me to a T!

Here's to no mind-reading, or XRay vision, or Superman Capes!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I hung up my Madame Zelda cape a long time ago when it no longer became important to me what others thought of me or my actions.

A gift of recovery was the ability to stand in my own truth, even when I stand alone, and I no longer take ownership of how others react to me.

I too spent years believing I was not worthy, that no matter how hard I tried, I could never be good enough, and thinking that others must truly see the weak person I was and surely had nothing better to do than talk about me.

Presto chango!! Recovery brought me self confidence and courage to love that stranger called ``me`` and accept her, warts and all.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((OOL))) - what a great post!!

I, too, thought I was an excellent mind reader. Boy, was I wrong. I didn't realize how wrong I was, until I started getting angry at me, and I was yelling "well, dammit, I can't read your mind!!!", but I was only saying that when it was convenient to not read their mind.

These days, I tell everyone that if they taught me mind reading in nursing school, I don't remember, and I obviously failed it. If you want something from me, ask me. If you don't ask me, don't get mad at me for not getting it.

The hard part, now, is remembering that this works both ways. I need to ask for what I want to...hinting around, or expecting someone to know what I want is no longer acceptable.

Yeah, I'm a work in progress

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always have to remind myself that a lot of life is about perspective and something that bothers me may not even be noticed by the next person. Good post. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a FANTABULOUS post!!!!! (((thank you))))

Now how do I put my intuition powers aside???
Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Crystal Ball

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I also had the ability to predict the future. And it was always awlful, just awlful. Got sick of that ball and threw it out.

Anyone up for a game of kick ball?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

OTL,
We are so much "More" than we ever give ourselves credit for.

It's nice when the reality sinks in, that we are all we never thought we were.

Thank you OTL, a wonderful thread....
Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((((OTL))))))

I love you great post!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How long does it take before acting as if you don't care what others think of you becomes really not caring????

KJ
Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Great Post!

I had to practice this for a long time, when I read the book
The Four Agreements, It Really Sank in my head.

I have to keep reading it every so often to keep my brain reminded of the
basic principles but it was/is life changing for me.

I can honestly say I don't give a damn what others say or think about me
as opposed to how I used to let it rule my life.

There is also the opposite when you know you are being talked about because
you are not acting like they want you to. I find this frequently online.
It used to bother me so much.
Today I find it says more about them when they judge me, and nothing about me.

As long as I keep the focus on me, and stop worrying about "others" what they
are doing or not doing, or what they are thinking about me or not thinking about me,
I find I am truly happy.
If I am okay with who I am, that IS ALL that matters.

If I only knew then what I know now, LOL.

:ghug2
Old 02-28-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

Wonderful post, I truly enjoyed it!

Thanks,
Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

WONDERFUL post. I guess I never associated my "power to read minds" with my codieness. Thanks for this OTL
Old 03-01-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Really great post, OTL. I'm still struggling with why I get upset when what people tell me they are thinking differs from my "mind reading" result....and usually what I have "read" is far worse than the truth. Oh well.....still working on it!

Hugs, HG
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My 2 cents

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
How long does it take before acting as if you don't care what others think of you becomes really not caring????

KJ
I think it takes as long as it takes for us to define and settle into our own worthiness, so that what other people may or may not be thinking or saying, no longer matters.

Does this make sense?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

It also never dawned on me that perhaps I was not the center of their attention, that maybe I was not even on their radar cause they had their own stuff going on or they, being mere mortals, had no power to know what I was thinking and feeling. Poor dears.
Yup...Who ever thought it would be a relief to know I was not that powerful and not the center of their worlds?

Excellent post...thanks for sharing your ESH. BTW, I'm game for kick ball
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you OTL, this is a great post
It came at the right time for me-last week I finally realised that I have always thought 'I am not good enough'
This realisation came to me as I am working my way through 'co-dependent no more'

I've always looked for approval from others & have done many achievements...it never made me feel any better about myself.
& the things I make up in my head about what people are thinking about me! oh dear! Haha!

NOW! I'm changing...just small changes...but in the right direction! Def- work in progress!

Thanks, excellent post to make ya think!
xx
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have a bad habit of practicing conversations in my head. i'll go through what i'm going to say, then project what they will say, then my response. Basically i have the whole thing worked out in my head before the conversation even starts. i've been trying to fill my head with other things - music, prayer, etc. before a big conversation so that i dont project the outcome anymore because i feel i dont listen to the other person when i do this.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader