update: one week sober

Old 08-11-2003, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update: one week sober

My AH is one week sober. We've started spending some time together to let me get to know him again. He took my daughter and I to the beach this weekend and it was absolutely wonderful.

I am letting him show me the sober husband he wants me to fall back in love with. I am very happy for him, whether I choose to get back with him or not. For now I am willing to try dating, and he is thrilled with that.

I will give myself the gift of time. That was always one of my favorite sayings here, and I repeat it to myself over and over.

I am pleased to say quitting was his decision, and it came only after we were done. The divorce papers were drawn up and I was dating another man. He took a look at where his life had ended up and saw that he had given up everything to drink. And he still wasn't happy.

Now he is fighting to have a life he can be happy in, and he is thrilled with his decision everyday. No moods, no stares, no temper. Just a happy man enjoying every little thing. We played mini golf and he was like a little boy. He wanted to do it again. Everything we did he wanted to do again. He couldn't believe how much fun he was having. He built a beautiful sand castle.

He ate well, he slept well, and he says he feels so much better when he wakes up in the morning. He has told everyone in his life, and feels the strength of everyone rooting for him. He is so sorry for so much, and telling everyone how wrong he was. He seems proud of himself instead of ashamed like he used to be.

No matter what happens, it has been a true pleasure to see him discovering life for the first time like this. He is thinking of attending meetings with the motivation of trying to help others more than needing it himself. I suspect in the end it would be helpful to him, so I encourage him to follow through with his idea. Oh, believe me, he's been to meetings before. They just couldn't help him until he wanted to stop. He would go into demial of his problem.

I wish I didn't have all the fears and skepticism that is in my heart. But 3 in 100 tells me I can't really believe this will last. I know it is very likely only a temporary miracle. I am keeping much of my detachment in place, so that I won't lose all my happiness if he falls.

I just wanted to share how.... beautiful I think it is to see.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello

Glad your life is improving...

who knows? I am one of the 3...perhaps he will be also.

(+) (+) (+) Hugs and Prayers
Old 08-11-2003, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

so wonderful to meet you

Carol,

Let me say, having witnessed this through my hubby, that I am so very happy for you. Congratulations for each day you've lived sober. And thank you for responding.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Jesseandme!!

Take it one day at a time and enjoy I will be thinking of you.

Many hugs,
Debbie