Notices

new to the site

Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to the site

Hi all,

just wanted to introduce myself- I'm olive.

I'm a 25 year old alcoholic, and it's really time for me to quit. My boyfriend is thinking of leaving me, and losing him would just be awful.

So, I'm going to start my life without alcohol.

I'm heading to an AA meeting tonight or tomorrow, and I think if I go them often then that can really help me stay sober. Any other tips?

I look forward to talking to you all.
Glad to be here,
olive
Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm glad to hear that you are going to start going to Meetings.

You asked for any other tips . . . One Day at A Time, take things One Day at A Time. Don't worry about tomorrow until it becomes today. Just don't drink today, don't worry right now about not drinking at your cousin Billy's graduation party in June. June isn't here yet.

Be willing to put just as much time into your Recovery as you did your using. It's often suggested, 90 Meetings in 90 Days. I went to like 120 Meetings in 90 Days! Was I ever too tired to not drink? I don't think so. And it sure wasn't ever too cold outside to go get dope! I never took a day off from using, that's for sure! Make your Recovery a stronger commitment than anything you ever did to drink or use.

Glad you found us.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oliveblank View Post
Hi all,

just wanted to introduce myself- I'm olive.

I'm a 25 year old alcoholic, and it's really time for me to quit. My boyfriend is thinking of leaving me, and losing him would just be awful.

So, I'm going to start my life without alcohol.

I'm heading to an AA meeting tonight or tomorrow, and I think if I go them often then that can really help me stay sober. Any other tips?

I look forward to talking to you all.
Glad to be here,
olive
welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to the forum. Whenever I feel like drinking I come here and read and post. This is my front line of support for my journey. I have also fixed my focus back onto exercise and fitness so I can feel good about the way I look and feel.
Good luck to you. It is good you are developing your own plan.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have you already stopped drinking or are you about to stop? It might be a good idea to ask your doctor for help in detoxing as withdrawal can be dangerous besides unpleasant.

Take it one day at a time. Just don't drink today!

Welcome to the family!:ghug3
Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Olive,

Welcome!

My only suggestion is to be sure that you are doing this for yourself first. I found that changing my daily routines and patterns helped me get through the early days.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks!

Hi all,

thanks for responding. I'm really happy that this community exists.

In response to least: I don't think I need a medical detox. I usually drink about twice a week, but when I do, it's like there's no stopping me. I can't quit until every drop of booze is consumed.

I figure if I can't control my drinking then I just have to stop. I went to an AA meeting before and I was surprised at how nice everyone was. Serenity queen's advice is well taken...i never let anything stop my drinking, so I should not let anything stop my active efforts towards recovery.

In response to 51anna: I am stopping for my own reasons. I just can't sabotage everything that is good in my life for a stupid drink. Seriously. I have no idea why I act like a total jerk when I drink, but yet I continue to think that this time it won't happen. It always happens, and I always feel awful about myself after I drink, so I need to stop drinking altogether.

The tips are all great-- I do have a question--- how do I relearn to soberly do all the activities that I used to do drunk? I tend to do a lot of cleaning and writing for schoolwork when I'm drunk. Right now the one strategy that helps me to avoid drinking is napping.

Again thank you all so much. I'm so grateful that this community exists as a place where people understand what I'm going through (talking to people that aren't alcoholics/problem drinkers about these issues doesn't work. They just don't get how I can't just stop).

-o
Old 02-27-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

Don't drink, go to meetings, ask for help.

All those activities you used to do drunk, you will in TIME learn to do them sober, and it will be a natural thing. TIME = This I Must Endure....early sobriety..everything is new and scare....but it is so worth it!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I used to use the sugar surge from the first couple of drinks to clean the house and do laundry and all the stuff that needed to be done. But, after a few drinks, it was a lost cause. I think I just found that keeping regular hours and getting decent rest at night (drinking never allowed me to sleep well) made me feel so much more capable and energetic. I didn't have the sugar-rush high, but I didn't need it any longer.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome
Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Knowledge of the disease is what worked the best for me. Take the time to learn about alcoholism. There are some great books available that'll help with that endeavor. AA is good too as a means to find support outside of SR. Exercise is another thing I do to stay happy and healthy. Try to get more exercise if possible. Eating healthy is also very important so make sure you're doing that as well. I know I'm just stating the obvious but I wanted you to know what worked for me.

How do you relearn doing all the things you did while drunk? That will take time. It's possible you drank because it made doing those things bearable. I mean cleaning and writing for schoolwork? Not my favorite things to do either. Writing always came easy for me when I was drunk. But reading that stuff now just sours my mood and my mind turns vile towards the guy I used to be. I still write but it takes a little longer now to get past the block and come up with something half decent. That's ok though.

So just give it time, you'll find a way.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Welcome Olive, best of luck! No fun to lose a loved one because of your drinking - been there and only sunk me worst. So itīs great news that you are taking actions into the matter! And good stuff that you might not even have through the horrors of withdraw and the levels of struggle that most have to endure - since NOW you can catch this thing on time.

BEST OF SUCCESS WITH THE NEW SOBER YOU! !
Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

:praying Hey Olive. Your only 25 yrs old and aware that alcohol is impairing your life. That is the first step. Knowing that you act awfull when your drinking,realizing that once you start you cannot stop,and knowing that your boyfriend will leave you. So, the bottom line is, JUST DONT DRINK. You can do it. You seem like a smart woman, and alcohol is the most impairing out of all the drugs out there. It affects your brain in a horrible way. If you know all of this, why would you think you can drink and have a different result? Stay Strong. God Bless.... Angel
Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here with us...
Welcome!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there

Brilliant that you are doing this so young, it will spare you so much pain in the future!

Look forward to reading more of your posts!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi! Glad you're here and glad about your decision to quit drinking. You've come to the right place for support and a lot of good advice. Keep posting!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Smile

welcome.. this is a good site!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Olive....In response to doing the things that you used to do when you were drinking, you need to replace a bad habit with a good one. Like when I stopped taking pain pills. What I did was replace my morning pain pill, with a vitamin. So Napping is good. What ever works for you girl. Just stay away from the poison. And if you feel like your going to slip up. Come here and talk to your sober friends. :ghug2 We are all here for you. All the time. Good luck and stay strong. Angel
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Olive - so great that you found SR. These wonderful people helped me get sober after over 25 years of heavy drinking (as long as you've been alive.) You never have to go down the tragic path many of us have walked. You're so right about people not understanding - I have no one in my life with alcohol problems & I'm sure most of them think of it as a character flaw. Congratulations on your decision to reclaim your life.