I gave my talk

Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I gave my talk

I just wanted to let you know that I gave my talk today to the parents of our 8th grade students as part of their Next Step introduction. I followed your advice and just gave my story about Ryan. The parents were very moved. I also shared with them all the wonderful suggestions you gave me. The deputy sheriff said that everything was right on. He was wonderful. He gave a power point presentation about all kinds of drugs and alcohol. He showed slides about what to look for and symptoms. He even shared a survey of our students regarding alcohol and drug use. Some of the results were shocking for the parents. I think their eyes were opened to a lot of things.

I did get a little weepy at the beginning but then i was able to continue. I can't thank you enough for all your help for this talk. Truthfully, though, I am glad it is over! Next, in April, I tell my story directly to the students. Should be interesting.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so glad your talk went so well! I am proud of you sharing your story with the parents. Hopefully at least one parent had their eyes and ears opened by you sharing about your son.
We here at SR are giving YOU a big group hug!!
:ghug

Way to go! I am so proud of you!!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for you support and for the "group hug". It means a lot to me coming from the members of this forum.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that is wonderful, parents really need a wake up call. I know many around here would never believe what their children are doing. Good job!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I, too, am very proud of you. I know this couldn't have been easy for you, but you did it anyway.:ghug3

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice work, Mom. And Teach
Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nenacarol, that's wonderful. I wish I was there to hear it, but I was with you in spirit. I'm so glad you will share with the kids too...I know it will be meaningful. Hugs...Ryan is proud of his mom!!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

So glad it went well. I'm sure someone heard something that will help them. And you were so brave to share your story.

Hugs,
Hangin' In